Sights !

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok since i have gotten older n my eyes deceive me most of the time in the darker timber/thicker canopy blocking the light. I can't tell a button head from a small Doe without optics. Thats a bummer as by the time i put the glass down my shot has faded. So what do those who have eye sight getting bad on them use on their ML's to hunt with ?

I’ve usually have binos hanging on my neck, during bow season.

Last edited:
My eyesight hasn't gotten too bad that I feel I HAVE to have a scope, but it's there that I realize I'll need one eventually.

Most shots around here would be probably be 60 yards max. With that said, I just bought an Athlon 1-4x24 with lighted reticle that seems like it will serve my needs.

So what do those who have eye sight getting bad on them use on their ML's to hunt with ?
You need a Deer Scanner. It sends out a signal and the deer bleat in return. If the bleat is constant and won't shut up, it's a female. If it bleats once, it's a male.

You may have to be careful. Young Bucks like to strut around and brag by bleating their heads off.

My eyesight hasn't gotten too bad that I feel I HAVE to have a scope, but it's there that I realize I'll need one eventually.

Most shots around here would be probably be 60 yards max. With that said, I just bought an Athlon 1-4x24 with lighted reticle that seems like it will serve my needs.
50 % of my blind/stand locations i can't see 60 yds in the early part of season. When the leaves fall i can see more. Half my areas have so many trees you can't even get a shot at 40 yds when the leaves are off

Yeah the reason i hunt those areas is i see deer
I can't see the deer. I can only hear them. That's what I have to hunt. There are open farm fields, which the deer avoid and the thick stuff, which they love. I hunt the thick stuff by their trails.

p.s. I no longer hunt, but when I did, that is how it was.

Last edited:
50 % of my blind/stand locations i can't see 60 yds in the early part of season. When the leaves fall i can see more. Half my areas have so many trees you can't even get a shot at 40 yds when the leaves are off
Our ML season here runs from just after Thanksgiving until December 31, so the leaves are off the trees by then. The woods here are pretty thick, with open pockets here and there. Realistically I'm in the same boat as you, most shots would be under 40 yards, but there are the occasional openings out to 60 where you'd be threading the needle. That's why I went with the 1-4 over what a lot of people have with the 3-9. The 1-4 allows a good field of vision set at 1X and the 4X allows me the extra magnification I'd need out to my max shot.

Our ML season here runs from just after Thanksgiving until December 31, so the leaves are off the trees by then. The woods here are pretty thick, with open pockets here and there. Realistically I'm in the same boat as you, most shots would be under 40 yards, but there are the occasional openings out to 60 where you'd be threading the needle. That's why I went with the 1-4 over what a lot of people have with the 3-9. The 1-4 allows a good field of vision set at 1X and the 4X allows me the extra magnification I'd need out to my max shot.
Reading your post made me think of a scope i have in its box waiting its turn. I have a Bushnell Elite 1.5x6 with the Ger. #4 Ret. in it. Nice n crisp viewing. I am very sure it will be on one of my ML;s by late Spring

I still do pretty well with peep sights... if they're set up right. To me, set up right for hunting means the peep just as close to my eye as I can get it, a big aperture, and a wide, flat-topped post front sight. I sight in so that the point of impact is right at the top of the post, so that I can always see what I'm shooting at. If there's no snow on the ground, it helps to paint the post white. If there is snow, a black post works well. Painting the post a bright flourescent red works pretty well under all snow conditions. Birchwood Casey makes paint pens that are specifically designed for painting sights. I killed a deer at 130 yards with that setup.

I started seeing better with iron sights as soon as I had cataract surgery on my right eye. Before that, it was scope only.

Latest posts

Back