Single barrel break action shotgun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkingeagle

Reaction score
For years now I’ve had a strong desire to use just an old Cooey 20g single shot for all my hunting. From upland to bunnies to waterfowl to big game. Slugs obviously for the big game. Keep them large critters within 60 yds and work on hunting skills. Anybody ever done it? Anybody ever dream of a poor mans all purpose firearm? Kind of like a modern day long hunter. Lol
Walk

For years now I’ve had a strong desire to use just an old Cooey 20g single shot for all my hunting. From upland to bunnies to waterfowl to big game. Slugs obviously for the big game. Keep them large critters within 60 yds and work on hunting skills. Anybody ever done it? Anybody ever dream of a poor mans all purpose firearm? Kind of like a modern day long hunter. Lol
Walk
Why I own a SB2 Handi rifle receiver came stock with a 45/70 barrel and I added a 44 mag/20 ga/410 ga and a 357 maximum (also shoots 38/357 ) in the same barrel / the 45/70 is my big game go to barrel . Even better it's quite the shooter (Handi's) are known for accuracy !/Ed

Over the years, I've had several.
One was an old Stevens single shot 12 gauge. Used it for turkeys and shot the biggest doe ever with it using Breneke KO slugs.
Had a H&R single shot 12 gauge, a 20 gauge slug gun too.
Right now I have a NEF single shot SB2, chambered in 280 Remington, topped with a Nikon 3X9X40 scope. It's probably the most accurate rifle I've ever owned.

Did it for years my area is buckshot only for deer, so I had two " hunten" guns, both Savage break barrels one in 10ga and 16ga,never regretted either one, and found , still took the same amount of game with fewer shots

Have many single shot rifles and shotguns and still sad that NEF folded. Currently use a Midland 20 with screw in chokes and love the ability to fold in half. Carry it in a pack when trouncing about the bush and have killed many nights supper with it with zero issues thus far. No reason, it shouldn't throw a slug too.

I have both a .410 and 20 gauge H&R single barrel shotguns. If push came to shove and I could only keep one gun, it would probably be one of these. Not sure which one yet!
Of course I would stick my RUGER 22 in my pocket and hope for the best

Walk
I agree 100% At this point in my life , more important to teach my grandsons the simplicity and challenges of a single shot. Aim small, miss small!

I really like my Stevens 22/410 I wish the hammer spring was not so stout so younger shooters could more easily manage it. I guess youngsters had hands as strong as modern grown men in 1938, perhaps stronger. In 1931 my grandfather at age 13 was tasked with tilling and planting 100 using only mules and whatever implements they had for plowing and planting. This task was given to by his brother who took over share cropping this land near Mayfield Ky after everyone went to Flint to work in the factories. His brother in turn took a job working in the mines where he died in a flooded mine a few years later. Thus kids had grit during those times.

IMO the 16 is the best all-around shotgun gauge.
I was raised from 7 - 13 only shooting an old Savage .410 breech load. When I was in Wva/Pa one of my uncles would give me his really old Iver Johnson 16ga breech load to use while I was up there. He had a 600 acre farm. I used that or my grandpa's old Rem .22 bolt action for many yrs.

I was raised from 7 - 13 only shooting an old Savage .410 breech load. When I was in Wva/Pa one of my uncles would give me his really old Iver Johnson 16ga breech load to use while I was up there. He had a 600 acre farm. I used that or my grandpa's old Rem .22 bolt action for many yrs.
That's a great story!!

Latest posts

Back