Sizing dies

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSR

Reaction score
Looking for a sizing die recommendation, I have the press already.

Thanks

Right, Tom only makes the dies and stopped the Swinglock rifle builds.

It's a pity in fact....

Would anyone happen to have a link to a video showing a die in use?

thanks

I have a swinglock from Luke. I’m quite happy with it though I don’t have a Hankins so can’t compare.

Just a thought but would there be a significant difference on using a bullet sized in a full form 1 in 28 twist with 8 grooves in a 1 in 26 twist with 8 grooves. The angle of the twist between the two is relatively small and the actual bearing surface on the bullet would be quite short for the small difference in the twist.

You're correct... twist wouldn't be a big deal. The thing that could be an issue would be is if the lands were different widths (even slightly).

You're correct... twist wouldn't be a big deal. The thing that could be an issue would be is if the lands were different widths (even slightly).
I’m looking at two Remingtons. A 700ML at 1/28 twist and a Remington UML at 1/26 twist. Both have factory stock barrels but just about everything else is replaced , tuned or custom made. I’m presuming that the lands will be very similar however I haven’t even made an attempt to measure and compare them. I have tricked out my ML quite a lot and it performs well in very cold weather which is what I hunt in mostly. The UML on the other hand is relatively new and I’m in the process of trying to get it to perform even better however I’m nowhere near close to what I obtain with the ML. That being said I’m trying to find a bore sized bullet that will have enough resistance (10-30 pounds) going down the pipe to ensure that Blackhorn will reliably ignite and ensure obturation. I’ve been shooting and collecting my bullets to compare obturation and the evidence has proven to be very interesting. Sorry about the long post however this is a particularly nasty problem that I’m trying to solve and it’s cranked me up good.

.........The UML on the other hand is relatively new and I’m in the process of trying to get it to perform even better however I’m nowhere near close to what I obtain with the ML. That being said I’m trying to find a bore sized bullet that will have enough resistance (10-30 pounds) going down the pipe to ensure that Blackhorn will reliably ignite and ensure obturation...….

Fury https://www.furycustombullets.com/webapp/p/208/muzzle-loader

I’ve got a good selection of their Bullets to test and without a doubt have been the best performing ones so far however at .503 they still go down easy in my barrel and even with a veggie wad there doesn’t appear to be enough resistance to ensure consistent ignition with Blackhorn in very cold weather. Looking more and more like I might have to resort to a 4 grain booster of 3F Swiss to get her burning the Blackhorn properly in extreme cold. I’m waiting for some more real cold weather to run some more tests however this time I’ll see if I can’t convince my old chronograph to work one more time. The saga continues.....

Back