Sizing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Found that just a single mark on the sizer can change the POI. Sized a few just one single mark tighter on the sizing die and it changed things, for the better. R-L difference disappeared. It shot lower, so I walked it up while verifying the scope.
Wasn't positive of shot 2, so I sent another. Made the adjustment and I guess its up to me now.

NOTE: CHARGE IS NOT SUITABLE FOR PRODUCTION RIFLES. READ AND FOLLOW YOUR OWNERS MANUAL ONLY.

9-18-18_sized_0_1.jpg

After shooting the Fury bullets, I had a much lighter charge, 75grs by weight of BH, which I shot with the H5045LB sabot and 300gr SST's. I have no idea why shot 1 was where it was. Maybe forgetting the charge would be like a BB gun?
Anyway, a nice morning to verify 100yds. Once law enforcement leaves the club's range, it'll be time for long range shooting.

9-18-18_sized_0_2.jpg

In a conversation at Friendship a few spring's ago. One of the guys mentioned that sized copper jacketed bullets required adjustment to the tenths of thousandths of an inch to fit the particular bore - I've kept that in my mind as it's more critical than a lead conical (1 thou).
I do not know about sabots.
Keep messing and you'll probably find the sweet spot for your rifle.

52Bore said:
In a conversation at Friendship a few spring's ago. One of the guys mentioned that sized copper jacketed bullets required adjustment to the tenths of thousandths of an inch to fit the particular bore - I've kept that in my mind as it's more critical than a lead conical (1 thou).
I do not know about sabots.
Keep messing and you'll probably find the sweet spot for your rifle.

I believe the guy was correct, certainly seems so in my case.
I do know that some of the RUM's haven't been as particular as this Lothar Walther barrel, but its getting closer. Most of my shooting has been on my own 100yd range, with just one session at the club's long range. Law enforcement has it rented almost the entire month, but I see they took this weekend off. Tomorrow I plan on a club session.
Just the slightest change in sizing has made a huge difference in how the rifle shoots. Sizing it larger, just one mark, took the horizontal away, but it did shoot 2moa lower. I walked it up in the top target. All those are shot (top target) as land riders, no sabot.

The bottom target I shot with 107grs VOLUME, using the original past bullets (300gr SST's) and sabots. It shot them well with that charge. I did not change the scope settings from shooting the land riding bullets.

I find 20 lbs loading force is optimal.

Then adjust powder charge.
1 gr at a time to find accuracy node

bestill said:
I find 20 lbs loading force is optimal.

Then adjust powder charge.
1 gr at a time to find accuracy node

I'm learning :wink:
Using your method of cleaning between shots which works very well. What I am finding though, is that the small crown on the barrel creates more force to start the bullet than to finish seating it. I've been taking the Fury's really slow for sizing to this point, only shooting 5 or so rounds with each different size or charge change. It appears that with the sizing die set at "0", I'm getting a good loading force in your recommended range. The heavy charge for tight groups kind of surprised me though. Thought I possibly could get away with a lessor charge with the Furys. It appears though, that the 300gr SST's using sabots will shoot good at 107grs volume (75grs W). I'm ready for some long range shooting with the Furys.

Latest posts

Back