Smokeless Encore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Them Brux are sabotless shooting machines or is that the standard MGM 5R model Luke offers too?

Them Brux are sabotless shooting machines or is that the standard MGM 5R model Luke offers too?
It's the MGM 5R Preferred Barrel that Luke offers...I've owned several Brux barrels and this one seems to shoot as well as they do..

20190529_143428.jpg 20190529_143450.jpg 20190529_143458.jpg 20190529_143511.jpg
Here's some other targets shot at 100yds...it's not picky...seems to shoot em all
It only likes wool wads

Last edited:
Here's the speeds on those loads if anyone is interested...
20190529_143915.jpg

Great shooting. Rookie question but why where there two Veggie Wad fliers? Were the others shot without a Veggie Wad?

Great shooting. Rookie question but why where there two Veggie Wad fliers? Were the others shot without a Veggie Wad?
Wool wads were used on the other shots...not sure why but some guns like the veggies and some like wool....I used veggie wads with the Barnes TEZ thinking they might help in obturation with the all copper bullet... they seemed to work ok with them... In my experience with over a dozen different guns wool wads have worked the best...

Thanks for the explanation.

I have recently converted my RUM to a .45 cal with a Brux barrel using an ASG Gen2 breech plug. I plan to start with benchmark, Parker Match Hunter 300gr. I plan to use Walters .060 Veggie wads. Do you recommend I try wool out of this set up to see if there is a marked difference in accuracy?

Thanks for the explanation.

I have recently converted my RUM to a .45 cal with a Brux barrel using an ASG Gen2 breech plug. I plan to start with benchmark, Parker Match Hunter 300gr. I plan to use Walters .060 Veggie wads. Do you recommend I try wool out of this set up to see if there is a marked difference in accuracy?
I would try veggie, wool, and no wad...I shot some 275 Match Hunters a few years ago...wool wads worked best for me...Seems like everybody has their favorites...never shot Benchmark...

Panhandle - off topic question I know - what is the purpose of that barrel band on you rifle, and where did you get it? I've been looking for something like that to use with my favorite style of sling, a "Safari Sling" on my muzzleloaders. Apparently it's not hurting your accuracy!

Panhandle - off topic question I know - what is the purpose of that barrel band on you rifle, and where did you get it? I've been looking for something like that to use with my favorite style of sling, a "Safari Sling" on my muzzleloaders. Apparently it's not hurting your accuracy!
The barrel band is used to hold the ramrod when hunting...I take it out at the range...It doesn't affect accuracy. Purchased from ASG rifles

The barrel band is used to hold the ramrod when hunting...I take it out at the range...It doesn't affect accuracy. Purchased from ASG rifles
Panhandle - thanks for the tip. That ASG "ramrod thimble" is a work of art. It's not exactly what I'm looking for, but gives me a starting point for making what I want.

I'd get rid of the Lead Sled and invest in quality sandbags. I'll bet you get better groups.

I've got a good front rest and the sandbags....like using the sled when shooting a lot of rounds...no difference in accuracy...sub moa ain't bad with the sled

Last edited:
Back