Smokeless success

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50bowhunter

Reaction score
84F38AF6-D53E-4A13-A126-24EB00C96D46.jpeg 08614603-1746-43FC-8A68-3C46718DCD99.jpeg 99CC0F77-40A1-46D4-8CA5-4F289158BCE0.jpeg 16FCFAF9-10BE-4A7B-9CBB-96CCABD24C0F.jpeg So I have been a smokeless owner for about 2 weeks. I got a Jeff Hankins CVA hunter conversion. Threw a vortex diamondback on it and headed to the range. Loaded with 58 gr of 4198 and a Parker BE 275gr. Two shots to get close at 100, and fired a .7” 3 shot group. 6 days later I got out for Virginia early muzzleloader. This time of year I mostly spend my time hunting the National Forest mountains. Climbed to the top early in the morning, but wasn’t seeing much deer sign. At 11:30 a beautiful coyote came through and I took him out. I decided to drop back down lower and hunt an area I was planning to save for another day. About 15 minutes before dark I hear a deer walking. Finally saw a tall rack top out on the ridge. He walked down to about 40 yards and never knew what hit him. He was dead before he hit the ground. I’m kind of liking this smokeless thing.

Nice Buck, Congrads.:lewis: Man that dude has a tall rack. Nice looking Coyote too. I want to whack one of those for a hide to put on the wall.

Great buck and shooting. What a way to break in your new rifle. Congrats

Congratulations! Hunting the National Forest mountains in VA are no joke. Tough terrain up those mountains. That is a great deer anywhere and a fantastic National Forest buck.

Congratulations! Hunting the National Forest mountains in VA are no joke. Tough terrain up those mountains. That is a great deer anywhere and a fantastic National Forest buck.
For sure!! I haven't hunted NF now for three years, its just too hard to drag one out for me. Last buck I killed was a small basket 8 pt. We used to walk in a hour before sunrise for a mile, at least then drop off the side of the ridge. No does allowed anymore, only bucks, which cuts your chances. The deer I did take there would have hair worn off on the drag side by the time we got to the truck! Then they closed off the parking area an added another 1/4 mile of walking. Just not worth it when the deer are low in farm land an much closer/easier to get out.

Very unique cool looking rack on that guy. Congrats.

Latest posts

Back