Smokless Powder and Maximum Loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhunterken

Reaction score
In the Savage platform, has anyone tried any other powders other than those listed in the manual, and how are you supposed to tell when you're nearing a maximum load.

Yes
N120 is good for 275gr-300gr bullets (56-60gr) About 63gr for the 275gr bullet.
Reloder7 is good for 300-325gr bullets. A long time ago it was listed and Savage recently listed it again. (60-65gr) They say 55gr max but that is not nearly as hot as 60gr of N120 which they do recommend again.

4227 is listed again 48gr max? with a 300gr bullet. ONLY USE WITH more recently made breach plugs. NOT the old plug. Requires a tight sabot too. Its a temperamental powder but will work under the right conditions.

4198 will have limited usefulness with heavy bullets and large amounts. 65gr+ with a 300gr. Max around 69gr. IMO you are better off going upto a 350gr and drop back on the powder to around 60ish and work up slowly to no more than 65ish. Its just a bit slow for anything else in a 50cal. Re7 is slower but its double based so its more stable.

If you only want to shoot 225-250gr bullets just get some N110. Its flawless between 39-41gr. Great speed, super clean and rock solid dependable. Its just rough on sabots with heavier bullets or heavier loads.

Would H110 also be in the same class, as it is just below N110 on the burn speed charts and it's used for the same load class in metallic loading

Ok Thank you for the information.Just needed to check before doing anything really dumb.

If you can find some IMR SR-4759 buy all they have. You wont need any other powder. Best all around powder ever for Savage. They stopped making it a couple years ago. Like i said though if you are just gunna shoot 225gr-250gr bullets Vih N110 will do whatever you want it to do. Great speed, rock solid dependable and temp stable.

I have had a savage since the the 10ML2 platform arrived. I have typically shot the 4772 at 48 grains with 300 grain hornady projectile. The powder is consistent, degrades quickly with time, and has been unreliable in bitterly cold weather.

I have also tried Reloader 7. I found it to be consistent in ignition but it seemed to foul the barrel quicker than 4772.

I have a barrel of 4759 but have not tried it.

I have a barrel of AA5744 but have not tried it.

I only landed with 4772 because it was easiest to find.

My experience was the sabots were the defining factor with my gun.

I was stuck with MMP short sabots and .452 bullets.

I switched to smokeless muzzleloading inc barrel for my H&R that uses IMR4198.

I found that this arrangement is not as tempermental as my savage.

I might develop loads for the savage using 4198.

Any suggestions on loads?

Right now I shoot 65 grns of 4198 with 250grn hornady ftx.

I am inclined to feed the savage a similiar load if it can handle it.

I feed three guns during season and would like to get them on same loads if possible.

I have h&r with smi barrel and am ordering a second.

Cousin has 10ml1 which is not as tempermental as my 10ml2

I have a 10ml2 which is always in play because it always has been.

IMO The 4198 wont put up eye opening chrono numbers but it is very consistent. More consistent than any of the faster powders recommended by Henry Ball.

Not sure how much you will lose with 24 inch barrel and slower powders.

4198 requires a lot of powder to get a reasonably temp stable load. N120 is far superior in every way for the MLII 50cal. 60gr of N120 will break 2300fps with a 300gr bullet. Its rock solid dependable and clean. You can go down to 56gr and still get fairly good speed and peak without any problems.

SR4759 was the DO IT ALL powder for ages in the MLIIs. Peak pressures are plenty safe and works well with all bullet weights from 250gr to 300gr. 4227 was always a problem child but some of those issues can be helped with a better breach plug and using only 300gr bullets.

Reloder7 is dirty but its another good powder for 300-325gr bullets. Its no speed demon but relatively gentle on sabots. 63gr and a 325gr FTX has been one of the most depenable loads i ever tried.

Back