So far with my CVA Wolf, sighted in.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanH

Reaction score
I thought I should probably share this here. I previously posted it on another forum before I joined, so it’s mostly copied and pasted. My results so far with my new CVA Wolf.

“Only” took me 30 shots, split between two range sessions because I don’t know WHAT THE HECK I AM DOING.

Started with 240 grain Cheap Shots over 133 grains of 777 Firestar pellets in the first range session and that was not a good combo. Today I ran the same sabots over 100 grains of 777 Firestar pellets and it worked a lot better.

I started out swabbing with a spit patch between shots but I tried these cleaning patches and it made loading a lot easier.
So I clean the bore in between each shot with a Thundercloud presaturated cleaning patch “with ever-lengthening strokes” followed by a dry patch same method.

I will spare you the painful process. Here are the last three groups, fired with no adjustments from 100 yards with the factory sights.

Shots 28-30. Shooting 240 grain TC Cheap Shots over 100 grains of 777 fire star pellets. I used a 6 o clock hold, treating the whole 12” target as the bull at 100 yards to shoot this group. If I recall correctly I might have still been using a freshly licked cotton patch to swab between shots.
[Linked Image]

Shots 31-33, using a 6 o clock hold this time under the center of the bull. No adjustments. What can I say? Wife was blowing up my phone “if I knew it would take all day I would have done the laundry”, etc. It also very shiny/reflective and I could hardly see the bull, focusing in and out on front site post, etc. Might have been the cleaning patches? I have many excuses!
[Linked Image]

Third group, shots 34-36, 6 o clock hold under an 8” target. I think I was actually holding under the bull for the very last shot. I really was rushed.
[Linked Image]

The best hunting near me is strictly ML or archery for deer, so this is gonna be my main rig this year. I will hit the range with it one more time next week. Testing Hornady XTP’s against the TC Cheap Shots. Will update this thread with results.

Last edited:
I got back from the range today an attractive young woman had an AR 10 chambered in .308 on top was a very nice very expensive looking scope. Unfortunately apparently she had a boyfriend too just my luck.

She could not touch paper. Her bf tried her dad tried then my buddy tried none touched paper. Messing with the turrets and what not.

I approached the boyfriend told him to give me three rounds. I asked her if she mind if I gave it a try. Remove the rear pin bolt carrier group and charging handle. Holding the rifle I look down the barrel and line it up with the target of 50 yards. Without moving the rifle I gently lifted up my head and looked at where the crosshairs were sitting. Way high about two targets high. At that point I started adjusting the knob while keeping the rifle still. Moving the reticle down to the target.

First shot hit paper about 5 in to the right. I made a windage adjustment. The next shot was right in the bull.

I don't know if sometimes people get excited or if they simply forget the basics. I should mention that before all this the first thing that I check for is scope movement.

Anyway after getting my buddy a few good jabs. I handed the rifle back to her and said well you're on paper.

I'm glad that you got your rifle sited in. Never forget the basics. Make sure everything's tightened down otherwise you're going to waste ammo chasing zero. Before you pull the trigger look down that bore. Obviously some rifles are easier than others but I've been able to do with 22LR before.

I also own a CVA wolf. Very happy about that muzzleloader extremely accurate once you get it down.

Best luck to you my friend.

Thanks. I used vibratite VC3 on all the fasteners for the sights as soon as it came out of the box.

I usually bore sight a scope using the same method. I have never really cared for the laser bore site kits, so much easier to look down the bore.

I have never even though about using the same method with open sights though. I guess that is pretty silly of me. Almost as silly as walking straight to the 100 yard line with a brand new gun and open sights. Not me no never (yes I did).

I had it on paper on the first range trip but way too high so I made too big of a correction, and had left my big 4’x4’ cardboard at the house… so it got real silly real quick. Next thing you know my dear sweet wife is blowing up my phone, because I told her I’d be gone maybe 2 hours max.

I ordered a scope base for the gun, so next range trip it will get a 4-12x40 Vortex Diamondback Tactical I had laying around. I bought that scope for a 7 mag I got a great deal on, then sold before I ever made it to the range.

I really wanted to stick with the open sights because this gun is so handy but I have to see what I can do with a scope on this rifle. I have gotten a whole lot better results with factory buckhorn sights on a 30/30 but it’s been a couple years since I used open sights much past 25 yards.

I hope it’s not me but I hope it’s not the gun! Please Lord just let it be a bad day!

Last edited:
The Wolf is extremely accurate once you get it dialed in and find the right load. I shoot 90gr of Blackhorn and 260gr Scorpion PT Gold. It actually kinda irks me how accurate this little cheap, blued gun is with a Bushnell Banner scope. I like to experiment, try loads, try bullets, and tinker, but this Wolf is too accurate to touch. I bought a new stainless Optima last year just to have something new to mess with, and still get slightly better groups with the Wolf. This was just 2 shots this weekend to verify nothing had changed from last year. It does this all day long at 100 yards. There was also a L to R wind when I shot these, but it'll put 'em in the center orange circle all day long at 100. I don't have anywhere that I can shoot it any farther.
I'd strongly recommend getting the BH breech plug, the o-rings for the primer pocket, and Blackhorn powder. You'll need mag primers too. I use the Federal 209A.

Wolf.png

My advice is to ditch the pellets.
Get yourself an adjustable powder measure and a bottle of loose Triple 7 powder.
Try a charge of 70 grains and increase by 5 grains until you find the sweet spot.
My Optima pistol shoots awesome with 75 grains of T7 with a Hornady xtp 240 grain bullet.

TWyatt Great Combo there. Those PT Golds should serve you well-they do for me. Good Shooting.

My special mix is 60 grain t7 with a 230 grain round nose berry bullet for range work. Or 70 grain 2f of goex with the same projectiles.

I can also switch to makers all copper bullets using the same charges with 0 poi shift.

I don't buy into the muzzleloader projectiles I am a reloader and have almost always used .45 acp pistol bullets. Nor have I ever seen the need to buy expensive bh209 powder with a special breach plug. It works for me so I did not try to "fix it".

I do however use loose powder to have greater control over powder charges.

Are you shooting off bags or a solid rest? Just asking the question as it’s the key to accuracy testing imo.

I shoot a cva optima v2 and started with a cva buckhorn. No problem going under 2” regularly with open sights at 50 with 100gr 2 pellet load of T7 or IMR pellets. Nephew bought the cva wolf and is the same. I did switch out to a rear peep on the optima, before I ever fired it.

260 or 300 grain harvester scorpions or pt gold with the black harvester crush rib sabots were the best for us. Tried t/c shockwaves, powerbelts, hornadies and a couple others. Harvesters not only shot the best, but they load way easier. I can do a followup without a spit patch in the field if needed with them and not have to “he-man“ it the last 2”. T/c shockwaves had to be spitpatched as did the hornadies.

I stopped by bass pro for a jug of 777 today. Picked a few sabots and etc to try, went to check out and had over $200 worth of crap so I said NOPE and just went with the 777, powder measure, flask, and a hunk of fudge ;)

I just could not bare the though of spending almost as much as this rifle cost in just one day!

I have a boatload of those 777 Firestar pellets and the TC Cheap Shots at home. Bought on clearance from Walmart some time after deer season last year. I bought all they had, I can get by on that if I have to.

I do have some XTP’s at home to try as well.

I will probably try a new bullet every other weekend or something. Right now I am working on the basics!

It really hurt my heart to put back the Hornady Bore Drivers though. They look promising.

It really hurt my heart to put back the Hornady Bore Drivers though. They look promising.
I don't think you missed much, from what I've read, those bullets ain't all that.
I don't shoot alot of modern bullets. Mostly patched round ball and for a conical bullet, I like the Hornady PA conicals and TC maxi hunters.

I have a CVA Optima V2 pistol and the PA conicals shoot really good out of it.
Back when I had a Traditions Buckstalker rifle, the TC maxi hunters were the only bullets I ever used. Even though your rifle has a fast twist barrel, you might be surprised how well a patched round ball might be.

FWIW my CVA Accura V2 is a tack driver with this combo of 2 pellets of T7 in back of a Barnes 250 gr T-EZ using the dark blue Sabot.

Well I got to looking at it and the front sight was wiggling around on me the whole time. I stripped two tiny Allen keys trying to tighten it up with Vibratite VC3 before I ever even took it to the range. I have it properly snugged up now though. Here is a link to a video of it, you can see the wear marks from the movement of the front sight. Front sight loose CVA Wolf. Whoops.

So I snugged everything down good and proper with a hard chrome Allen key, and I think I might have stripped out the socket heads. As long as it stays put, right?

I also mounted up the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-12x40. Say what you want about these low end Vortex scopes, this is a good looking little rig:

AE121E5A-5E83-41EB-AAE2-0E024580388A.jpeg

It just barely clears the rear sight when bottomed out. The scope lines up perfectly with my eye :)

Attachments

• 64AAACED-7AA2-47C1-AA62-F11A7875886D.jpeg
    64AAACED-7AA2-47C1-AA62-F11A7875886D.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 4
Thanks. I used vibratite VC3 on all the fasteners for the sights as soon as it came out of the box.

I usually bore sight a scope using the same method. I have never really cared for the laser bore site kits, so much easier to look down the bore.

I have never even though about using the same method with open sights though. I guess that is pretty silly of me. Almost as silly as walking straight to the 100 yard line with a brand new gun and open sights. Not me no never (yes I did).

I had it on paper on the first range trip but way too high so I made too big of a correction, and had left my big 4’x4’ cardboard at the house… so it got real silly real quick. Next thing you know my dear sweet wife is blowing up my phone, because I told her I’d be gone maybe 2 hours max.

I ordered a scope base for the gun, so next range trip it will get a 4-12x40 Vortex Diamondback Tactical I had laying around. I bought that scope for a 7 mag I got a great deal on, then sold before I ever made it to the range.

I really wanted to stick with the open sights because this gun is so handy but I have to see what I can do with a scope on this rifle. I have gotten a whole lot better results with factory buckhorn sights on a 30/30 but it’s been a couple years since I used open sights much past 25 yards.

I hope it’s not me but I hope it’s not the gun! Please Lord just let it be a bad day!
Scope is a great idea (EXCELLENT) but now I got to get back to stacking wood ,14 cords and by Friday back to shooting my sidelocks (if I can still lift the gun) :eek:

You know what’s funny, Half-Cocked called it on the first reply “make sure everything is tight”. I’m like nahh I put Vibratite VC3 on that it ain’t going nowhere. Man!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back