So far with my CVA Wolf, sighted in.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I got to looking at it and the front sight was wiggling around on me the whole time. I stripped two tiny Allen keys trying to tighten it up with Vibratite VC3 before I ever even took it to the range. I have it properly snugged up now though. Here is a link to a video of it, you can see the wear marks from the movement of the front sight. Front sight loose CVA Wolf. Whoops.

So I snugged everything down good and proper with a hard chrome Allen key, and I think I might have stripped out the socket heads. As long as it stays put, right?

I also mounted up the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-12x40. Say what you want about these low end Vortex scopes, this is a good looking little rig:

View attachment 16413

It just barely clears the rear sight when bottomed out. The scope lines up perfectly with my eye :)
I added a leather check piece to my Accura V2 for scope alignment.

DQFKwnuh.jpg

I use Half-Cocked's bore sighting process every chance that I get. Some firearms designs just don't allow you to do so though. I have three rail vinyl fencing at home that is more than 50 yards from my shop. This allows me to bore sight at home without having to setting up targets.

Good luck with your CVA this hunting season.

Last edited:
93814319-E78C-4B39-AC53-96FDCAAF0AF8.jpeg
Big old Vortex had to go. Put an old Leupold FXI 4x28 on there, with some super-duper low Nikon rings I had laying around. Iron sights had to go too, for this setup to work. But this gun is still very light and handy with the little 4x28 on there, I like it a lot better.

Range time in the morning. I have precious little time in the AM, will probably just sight in with 80 grains of Pyrodex Select and Hornady XTP’s. Just put scopes on the kids squirrel rifles and I don’t have time to dilly dally all day.

Hopefully it eill get me through deer season. More to come after that!

Did not make it to the range this morning. Pretty busy day, made it to the range in the evening but I had a few issues. Had to rush through it but I did get the scope nearly dialed in at 100 yards before the light faded. What a big improvement from the last time!

2nd to last group (3 inch targets)

016BEF59-82B9-448D-94AC-B4F4F55C76B3.jpeg

Last group, after final adjustment:

303078E2-B4EA-4684-AE76-0E6370FEDA50.jpeg

Shooting 80 grains by volume, of Pyrodex select under a 240 grain XTP, with the TC Mag Express sabots. I am using Federal muzzle loading primers. Swabbed between shots with a fresh licked “spit patch”. Not very damp if at all.

The Mag Express sabots do seem to load a little tight but not really an issue with the Pyrodex. The difference between swabbing Pyrodex vs. 777 is like night and day.

I wish I had time to test everything now. It might be awhile before I make it back to the range. I think this will get me through deer season.

My only question now is, let it sit fouled with Pyrodex, or clean it thoroughly? I do need to learn where it hits with a cold clean bore.

Clean it is what I would suggest.
You could take a fouling shot before going out.
Or see where it clean bore shoots. Depends on how much time you have.

Well I cleaned her well, hot water with a drop of dawn. Good scrub down with denatured alcohol to help dry it out. And swabbed out with bore butter. Very light application of it, about like licking a patch.

Well I cleaned her well, hot water with a drop of dawn. Good scrub down with denatured alcohol to help dry it out. And swabbed out with bore butter. Very light application of it, about like licking a patch.
You done good till you got to bore butter , but Ballistoll will do the job and doesn't hurt wood/leather either
7-1water/Ballistoll works as a good patch lube /Ed

Looks like you got er sighted in pretty good. Any one of those last hits would kill a deer no problem.
That Pyrodex Select is nice stuff.
A bit cleaner burning than T7.
I like the little 4X scope you have.
Pretty much all you need.

I would hunt with it. If I could have put all 4 into the 3” target I’d leave it alone.

The Leupold FXI 4x28 is my favorite scope. I have two, and if I could find a deal on another I’d grab it. That, or one of their little fixed 2x20 scopes would also be nice.

Just don’t try any questionable shots, i.e. neck shots, and you’ll be good to go.

But I like to neck shoot deer :)

Actually I want to blow the top off the heart. That’s my goal, to hit the first doe I see right in the top of the heart.

I like the smaller frame scopes better than the big ones, however it appears that your eye relief has to be out of whack on that setup. That scope likely needs to slide back about 2"... and you can't do that with your mounts. One of the reasons compacts don't work as well on many rifles. Looks to me (I could be wrong) that you have to creep way up on that scope vs where it would naturally work best. Maybe you can slide your base back? IDK if there are more mounting holes or not. Good shooting either way and it will certainly work.

No I don’t have to creep on it at all. That is the great thing about the fixed Leupold. The eye relief is listed at 4” or something but they have the most forgiving “eye box” of any optics I have ever used. I bet the 2x20 is even better in that regard.

It also helps to be a big framed guy with long arms. It suits me perfectly, and lines my eye right up in these low rings. I can mount this gun with my eyes closed, open them, and see perfectly through my scope.

Latest posts

Back