So far with my CVA Wolf, sighted in.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I don’t have to creep on it at all. That is the great thing about the fixed Leupold. The eye relief is listed at 4” or something but they have the most forgiving “eye box” of any optics I have ever used. I bet the 2x20 is even better in that regard.

It also helps to be a big framed guy with long arms. It suits me perfectly, and lines my eye right up in these low rings. I can mount this gun with my eyes closed, open them, and see perfectly through my scope.
good deal, good luck hunting looks like you are good to go!

There it is. First shot on a cold, clean bore. I did not strip out all of the bore butter, but it looked dry and clean to begin with. I never slathered it on there.

I ran the 20 gauge bore snake through twice, from the muzzle end, before loading.

I will post a 5 shot group this evening. I am still at the range, and thrilled to death to see this on a cold clean bore and couldn’t wait to share.

I don’t plan on making any adjustment, needless to say.
4C3A2C4C-70FB-49BD-BA56-64144B445AE7.jpeg

Tried something new, I cleaned the bore thoroughly with three thundercloud cleaning patches (front and back) and ran the bore snake twice between shots. By shot three I really didn’t want to keep going to 5 shots, because the results were no better than the spit patch:
19906531-71C3-4D20-8C86-EFDF8727AAB1.jpeg

Then I tried swabbing with one licked patch, both sides. No bore snake required:
64CD82F6-CAC9-49AB-94B1-7BC9CE0D433E.jpeg

I am good on a cold clean bore, might as well stick to the tried and true “licked patch” between shots.

I picked up a light fiberglass ramrod, and cut it to length. With the Pyrodex I can swab with it just fine. To shoot 777 I need something with a handle, will not go back.

Next time I hit the range I am going to see if I can start with a clean cold bore and shoot a decent group without swabbing at all.

I guess some of y’all are wondering why I haven’t posted any kills. Well in Missouri (where I have lived for almost a year and a half now) I can’t use a antlerless gun tag anywhere I know of. So I have to use my either sex gun tag, and you only get one. So I’m not real eager to use it.

Well if you wanna judge me for saving my tag for a nice buck, go ahead! I got a bow for Christmas that changes things a bit. The only problem with that is now I’m hooked on bow hunting and don’t want to use a gun!

Well I got to looking at it and the front sight was wiggling around on me the whole time. I stripped two tiny Allen keys trying to tighten it up with Vibratite VC3 before I ever even took it to the range. I have it properly snugged up now though. Here is a link to a video of it, you can see the wear marks from the movement of the front sight. Front sight loose CVA Wolf. Whoops.

So I snugged everything down good and proper with a hard chrome Allen key, and I think I might have stripped out the socket heads. As long as it stays put, right?

I also mounted up the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-12x40. Say what you want about these low end Vortex scopes, this is a good looking little rig:

View attachment 16413

It just barely clears the rear sight when bottomed out. The scope lines up perfectly with my eye :)
You think you might have stripped out the heads? They may have stripped out before you reached the proper torque. I know it doesn't matter because you put the scope on. My point being learn to be meticulous about your muzzy. If you don't you could end up being sorry.

Last edited:
Yes but I’m hunting public. All the conservation around me does not allow antlerless gun tags. And there is a lot of it.

Like, a dozen areas within as msny miles. smallest maybe a couple hundred acres, largest around 5k acres. Even Truman, 40 minutes to the nearest part of it, No antlerless gun tags in every section I have been to. And that’s a big place, like 50k acres. Signs posted in the parking areas.

Haven’t hunted there. That’s 3 hours for me, I'm a trucker with one day off a week. I’m not gonna spend half of it driving. Especially with good deer hunting 8 miles from my doorstep.

I’m thinking about shooting some hogs off a high fence place though might use the muzzy for that. Also now that I have a bow I’m not afraid to burn my either sex gun tag on a doe. I’m two weeks away from eating tag soup.

You are on the right track for sure. If you want to ditch the scope still, you might consider a nice peep site. I found trying to line up the back sight, front site and target was a "blurry" situation. Once I went to a peep sight, it made all the difference. Might try that.

But...your gun is likely capable of better groups than you are seeing. Try using powder instead of pellets like others have mentioned. It can make all the difference from my experience. And FWIW, I will never shoot pellets unless I HAVE to due to limited supply. But I have several pounds on 777 for one rifle and several bottles of BH209 for my new rifle. I shouldn't have to use pellets for a good long time.

Now that you are sighted in, try a different bullet combination, maybe a different sabot with the same bullet etc, and definitely play with powder charge.

Good luck!

Hornady PA conicals are cheaper than most sabots and in most of my inlines have shot and worked just fine on all of the deer that I have shot. T/C cheap shots have taken deer for me also.

Latest posts

Back