So how do you make coffee?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eight O’Clock Hazelnut. Order it 6 bags at a time from amazon. We place an order when we crack the 6th bag as to guarantee we don’t run out.

Thanks for your service sir. Another black coffee vote. I've had more thany share of c rat instant coffee. Often mixed it with the cocoa beverage powder to choke it down.

8 O'Clock coffee is one of the best. Nothing smells better than a freshly opened bag. I remember watching them grind it up at the A&P supermarket when I was a kid. It was the only coffee my parents ever drank.
On vacation in eastern Canada now with my family. Been drinking nothing but Tim Horton's for the past week.

Not sure if Tim Hortons is coffee or Canadian Whiskey lol new one on me!

Whatever bean coffee Costco has cheap it is usually great stuff. I grind at home use a coffee press so like boiled coffee. The coffee maker died so used what was here. I drink less coffee now.

You might be on to something there I drink way to much coffee and in my humble opinion a press really does make outstanding coffee. This Keurig machine makes it way too easy for an additional cup which I'm going to make now.

Costco gets a Parry Estates Kona blend for about $12/2lbs that is really good for that kind of money. Pure Kona can run over $40/lb and so can pure Blue Mountain. Costco was about $18-20/lb for pure Kona. If i had my way i would drink nothing but Blue Mountain from Jamaica.

Some coffee just screams for a creamer such as Sumatra. I normally dont buy "French Burnt" coffee. Too many places over roast it and heavy roasting destroys caffeine. Light/blonde roast coffee has more caffeine. Rebusta beans have way more also.

There are several other that cost a little less and well worth trying
Peruvian...The one from Costco was very tasty.
Costa Rican
Honduras
Kenya...one of my favorites
High grade Columbian Supremo beans.....one of the best values for upper end coffee. Sam's used to sell one that was just killer but the brand is no longer around. (Millstone Colombian whole bean)

Try instant coffee from Korea if you think all instant coffee sucks.

Last edited:
Now your talking, Kona and Jamaican Blue mountain are excellent. I also like Sumatran ,very drinkable because of it's low acidity.
Korean instant ? I'm game. Actually think I can acquire some at the Korean supermarket near Ft Hood.

This ("store brand") was new at the commissary a few trips ago, right next to the 8 O'clock. It was about as cheap as you can get and still claim to be a patriot. Bought it for the novelty but through a French press, it wasn't half bad - on par with those "Donut Shop Blend" K-cups my office manager used to get by the pallet load at Costco, anyway. Comes in a genuine steel can, too (main reason I bought it). Can't beat the catchy "brand" name for first cup of the morning!Reveille.jpg

If you like dark coffee with a ton of kick to it look for Cafe Bustelo. Its a Cuban style coffee and really cheap at some places like "Dollar stores".

Their blend that has a serious kick to it. Probably has some robusto beans in it.
GUEST_f3594058-15ee-434f-93b2-dda213862c75

Straight Arabica
GUEST_3b755418-6943-4874-bfa4-56f2855c908e

I've got some in my freezer. However I don't have any of the supreme. The hunt begins. I actually like this stuff but it's probably better suited for the addition of cream and sugar . It's stout.
If you like dark coffee with a ton of kick to it look for Cafe Bustelo. Its a Cuban style coffee and really cheap at some places like "Dollar stores".

Their blend that has a serious kick to it. Probably has some robusto beans in it.
GUEST_f3594058-15ee-434f-93b2-dda213862c75

Straight Arabica
GUEST_3b755418-6943-4874-bfa4-56f2855c908e

Actually think I can acquire some at the Korean supermarket near Ft Hood.

I just checked. There is a O Mart on Fort Hood st
714 S Fort Hood St, Killeen, TX 76541

I would be very surprised if they dont have Maxim instant coffee. The red box is the stronger one. The other 2 have more powdered creamer and sugar. You will need 2 of the little packets for a milder 8oz cup and 3 for a strong cup.
513m68%2BluRL.jpg

I've got some in my freezer. However I don't have any of the supreme. The hunt begins. I actually like this stuff but it's probably better suited for the addition of cream and sugar . It's stout.

Yes its very strong and the grind is better suited to a flat bottom filter than a cone. If using a cone filter i would try a half pot or half strength first and see if it flows ok. A lot of fine grind coffee in a cone filter can be a mess. Never had a problem yet in the old style flat bottom filters.

I'll be over that way later this week, I've been in that store and they have all sorts of unusual products ,glad you sent a picture, my Korean is a little weak.

I like black coffee, but I like it cold. I know, I know, blaspheme. I use 12 ounces of Black Rifle Coffee Company CAF blend to 64 ounces of water in a glass pitcher. Mix well and place in the refrigerator overnight. Strain with cheesecloth and drink full strength or cut it with cold water to taste. Since I work 12-hour shifts I freeze full strength coffee in a silicone whiskey ball form so my coffee does not get watered down like it does pouring it over ice.

Ok that's different for sure, I've tried some cold black coffee in a single serve can. Not bad when it's hot outside but can't say it's my favorite.
What about this cold brew coffee in the dairy asile? Anyone try that? Supposed to be better, what do you do ? Heat it up ?

Back