So how do you make coffee?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used all sorts of coffee makers. they all seem to have their own version of cons. Tried a french press for a while, good coffee, but the hitch is cleaning it later. you dont just lift out a paper filter for disposal, so your tapping it on the garbage pail rim, then there's always a need to rinse the rest out in the sink. I never liked the idea of all the grounds in the plumbing. I got a Kirig a few years back, never found a cup for it that was satisfactory, coffee never came out as hot as any other method, and my typical coffee cup is one of those stainless 20 oz, so I never liked the teacup portions. Lately I've been using an electric teapot looking water heater, and a cheapo pour over coffee maker. It takes a bit more attention, but I like the results and simplicity.

Years back, i stayed in an elk camp and the camp cook had a percolator type coffee maker. Decent coffee, the cook always put an eggshell in the pot. When asked why, he only replied "I never had a decent cup of coffee, that wasn't brewed with eggshells.

I've used all sorts of coffee makers. they all seem to have their own version of cons. Tried a french press for a while, good coffee, but the hitch is cleaning it later. you dont just lift out a paper filter for disposal, so your tapping it on the garbage pail rim, then there's always a need to rinse the rest out in the sink. I never liked the idea of all the grounds in the plumbing. I got a Kirig a few years back, never found a cup for it that was satisfactory, coffee never came out as hot as any other method, and my typical coffee cup is one of those stainless 20 oz, so I never liked the teacup portions. Lately I've been using an electric teapot looking water heater, and a cheapo pour over coffee maker. It takes a bit more attention, but I like the results and simplicity.

Years back, i stayed in an elk camp and the camp cook had a percolator type coffee maker. Decent coffee, the cook always put an eggshell in the pot. When asked why, he only replied "I never had a decent cup of coffee, that wasn't brewed with eggshells.
My mom used to put eggshells in the coffee pot. She had an electric percolator, great coffee. I still use an electric percolator. But no eggshells.

Fond of hazelnut myself.
Bought a percolator a couple years ago. Makes a big difference. My oldest uses a French press. Great coffee, but a tad labor intensive.
Never was into the stuff until I started reenacting. NOTHING beats a cuppa from a tin mucket, heated over a wood fire, usually on a 90 degree day... Glad my gray suit isn't as hot as that Union blue when the sun gets high...
Deo Vindice!
Right on

Before Starbucks became the monolith that it is today, there was a single store in the University District in Seattle.

July 1979. I had just gotten out of the Army after 3 years.

They had 2-gallon clear glass crocks w/knob-handled lids, in three staggered rows, displayed on a series of slanted-to-the-front tables, that were laid out in a very long U-shape, that stretched from nearly the front to the back of the store.

There were over 100 types of loose tea, over 60 types of roasted coffee beans, and about 100 types of penny candy for purchase out of those glass crocks.

It was a truly incredible display to behold.

An older gentleman wearing a bow tie working there sold me a French press coffee maker, and his personal blend of ground coffee.

1/3 Columbian espresso
1/3 Hawaiian Kona Gold
1/3 Jamaican Blue Mountain

As I recall I was paying about $6.00 per pound for that blend in 1979. I quickly became addicted, and was soon drinking far TOO MUCH of it every day.

Black.

I went through about a pound a week.

Grew up being kept by my Granny, God bless her soul, and she would make half a cup milk, lots of sugar, and enough coffee to darken it up. My other Grandmother was an instant coffee buff, and it was Sanka Decaf all the way. I am going on 69 now and i like my Kurieg with dark roast Arabic, a touch of cream, and a packet of Splenda. Type 2 got me you know. I usually drink coffee all day long, got no problem sleeping at night. The wife collects coffee grinders but have never used one.
DL

1/3 Columbian espresso
1/3 Hawaiian Kona Gold
1/3 Jamaican Blue Mountain

I would have to hurt you if you did that to a bag of my Blue Mountain or top shelf Kona. :p Cheaper Kona or BM is already blended. Good stuff is too precious to mix. Plus most Colombian i can find is not a light roast like Kona or BM. Nothing wrong with darker roasts but that is not why i get Kona or BM when i want a treat.

I sure wish Millstone was around and sold the big bags of Colombian Supremo whole bean. By far the best tasting Colombian that was not crazy expensive.

Well look what I got for Christmas.
Well, look what just went on my wish list, too! I wasn't aware Keurig made a K-cup/drip combo. Thanks for sharing - I'm always in search of something that'll clear some counter space. When my wife has her quilt guild friends over, I have to retrieve the Mr. Coffee drip machine from the basement and unbox it for her, and usually shove my Keurig back into a corner somewhere. You've shown me the way forward, and I appreciate it!

Yes Kuerig makes a larger pot for mine, i believe it is a 5 or 6 cup pot size. Never used mine. I use the K-cups and the wife has her Mr Coffee pot she blends pecan flavor, decaf, and mild columbian to her taste. Not for me.
DL

Back