So I ordered /paid for a CVA Optima V2 BP pistol today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After watching all the reviews I thought I need a new toy and like the title says I did , and 2 hrs later got a rely . They said though it is a black powder gun (muzzle loader ) they feel it should go thru an FFL . I sent them a reply ,ain"t happening thou I have a unrestricted concealed carry since 1981 and have never used an FFL for BP pistols and am not gonna now send the money back ! Why would these folks not include that requirement in there ad,as NY does not consider them a firearm ,I have bought/sold a lot of BP guns and have never used a FFL . Anyone else have this experience with this company (Muzzle Loader.com) ?

Does NY have specific rules for ANY handgun? I guess I'd get a little upset at this as well if there are not rules in place at the state level that would hinder the sale and delivery of a blackpowder weapon.

With the exception of a couple of the traditions in-line Vortec pistols and one sidelock purchased from a member here, I've done all my muzzleloader shopping in brick and mortar stores.

I find it odd that states with the most stringent firearms laws have the bad guys with the most and best guns.

Does NY have specific rules for ANY handgun? I guess I'd get a little upset at this as well if there are not rules in place at the state level that would hinder the sale and delivery of a blackpowder weapon.

With the exception of a couple of the traditions in-line Vortec pistols and one sidelock purchased from a member here, I've done all my muzzleloader shopping in brick and mortar stores.

I find it odd that states with the most stringent firearms laws have the bad guys with the most and best guns.
No it is not considered a fire arm , however in the hunting regs it states to hunt with a BP pistol it must be 44cal or bigger and you must have a NY C.C. (permit I do) and if I use to (target kill) not needed ! This company does not know my state laws did not ask for a copy of my unrestricted concealed carry permit ,which I would provide but know way am I jumping thru hoops paying a FFL for something not required by law ! Must be a California Co I"m thinkin and nope I am in UP STATE NY not NYC /Ed

Absolutely not as stated BP pistols are not regulated as firearms , company says according to regs (Don"t exist)and COMPANY policy ,sounds like a company I will not be involved with/Ed

Which states will you ship to?
We ship directly to customer's doors throughout the United States, except for customers in New Jersey, Illinois, Washington D.C. & New York City, as well as all pistol orders within New York State and Massachusetts. In these jurisdictions, the law requires muzzleloaders to be shipped to a licensed FFL dealer, which we are happy to help arrange for your convenience. As a disclaimer, please check your local ordinances and statutes to ensure compliance with all laws.

This is off their website. Does a C.C. make it different?

We ship directly to customer's doors throughout the United States, except for customers in New Jersey, Illinois, Washington D.C. & New York City, as well as all pistol orders within New York State and Massachusetts. In these jurisdictions, the law requires muzzleloaders to be shipped to a licensed FFL dealer, which we are happy to help arrange for your convenience. As a disclaimer, please check your local ordinances and statutes to ensure compliance with all laws.

It does as far as our regs ,the only reg is what I said according DEC regs for hunting unless this has changed in the last year 2019 the state does not regulate muzzle loaders as guns .I buy and sell with no regulation ,is it different for company's ? I don"t know but am sure I will not be dealing with this company after email saying company policy is involved the fact is I carry daily /24/7 and the state says I can but I stay out of NYC/Albany and I can go to another state and legally by said gun and come back home and legally hunt with it Ed

Last edited:

This pretty much says it.

They are actually a very reputable company and one of the owners has been a longtime forum member. In all honesty I have never heard anything negative about them. Actually bought a CVA Optima from them and had great service.

It sounds like to me that as a company they are held to certain standards regarding shipment and the state you live in evidently requires them to ship to an FFL.

They are actually a very reputable company and one of the owners has been a longtime forum member. In all honesty I have never heard anything negative about them. Actually bought a CVA Optima from them and had great service.

It sounds like to me that as a company they are held to certain standards regarding shipment and the state you live in evidently requires them to ship to an FFL.
Evidently I am not current on state regs that I reside in, aside from my experience since 1977 it must no longer apply . I will try to recover funds and deal with folks I know /Ed

I live in Massachusetts and they would only ship to my FFL.
Like you I was unhappy but put up with the BS in order to get
a great ML pistol.
A first for me with MLs but several times buying antique firearms
sellers required an FFL. Annoying and unnecessary but I complied to get what I wanted.
Be aware, the Optima pistol ships in a long gun box with the pistol in its own box inside. It confused my FFL but he never even opened the box. He just handed it to me no charge!

Ive seen a few used ones for sale recently if you decide to go that route. One or two of them have actually been asking more than the new ones are selling for. Mine is shipping right to my house.

E.... if you have a trusted friend in another state, buy it and have it sent it to him and then have him ship it to you after re-wrapping.

Last edited:
It is kinda messed up that you would have to pay an extra fee to have the gun shipped to a licensed dealer. How much does it cost anyway?

Latest posts

Back