So mad! Bushnell scope DESTROYED after one drop!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I've been planning a hunting trip for all of muzzle season since February. I saved money to rent a truck, replaced some gear, bought a muzzleloader, got it in point at 100 yards... I spent the better part if a year preparing for a vacation. I spent literally everything i had on this trip, and as it turns out, I went over the mileage I paid for on the rental... still not sure how they will react when I return the truck and explain that they will just have to wait a day till I get paid... but I digress.

Well, I got two days of hunting in, Saturday (opening day) and Monday. Hunting on Sundays is illegal, so I did some fishing that day.

Monday, after the sun went down and as I was at the truck shedding outer layers and organizing gear for the next day, I knocked my rifle over. Now, I've knocked over more than a few scoped rifles, and at best, it's still zeroed, and at worst, it just needs some adjusting to sight it in again. I was a bit annoyed that this meant I would miss a morning of hunting to sight in my rifle again, but I had the rest of the week (through Saturday) that muzzy season was open to hunt. And I had no work.

However, I got to the range the next day and placed two paper targets side by side at 100 yards. I aimed for the center of the left target and fired... nothing on the paper. So I reloaded and aimed at the right target. My bullet hit the left paper, a full 14 inches from my point of aim. So I dialed the scope 10 clicks (1/4 inch moa at 100 yards) and fired again, again aiming for the center of the right target. This time, nothing on paper. I took another shot, same result. I aimed for the left target again, and still, not on the paper.

So I went to the 50 yard side. No matter how much I adjusted, I could not get it on the paper. At all. A nice guy at the range stood behind me to try and tell me where my shots were hitting the backstop. He said they appeared to be about 12 inches to the right and about 8 inches high. So I dialed the scope way left and way down. Like, a full rotation for each. Upon firing again, they were still in the same general location.

Another nice guy who also had heard my story of why I was there instead of in the tree, saw our struggle and gave me a 3' x 4' piece of cardboard. Now we were talking.

First shot, aiming at the center... no hole in the cardboard. Guy said it hit above the cardboard and on the right half. I fired again, aiming at the center. This time we got a hole... way down in the lower left corner. I reloaded and fired at the center again. This time, it missed entirely, high and to the left.

It was at this point that I realized: my scope is done for, and my hunting trip is over when it had only barely begun. I still tried though, and ended up firing every bullet I had, unable to get the scope to track properly or get any consistency. I suspect perhaps a bent tube?

The gun is a CVA Wolf. The scope is a Bushnell Trophy, not a high end scope, cost me about $150 brand new. This is the first season I used it, I thought it specifically for my muzzleloader. I was not expecting it to match the quality of a high end scope, but I have dropped rifles on much cheaper scopes, more violently, and have never had one fail. I thought it would at least hold up to one drop. It isn't even like it fell out of a tree... it was leaning on the truck and I bumped it over (startled when a nearby hunter took a shot, probably discharging his round for the day). The only other time I have ever destroyed a scope was when I was inexperienced with air rifles and thought I could just put a rifle scope on it... not realizing the recoil from a air rifle will rip apart the internals of a scope designed for a centerfire rifle. But other than that, I've never had to throw out a scope before.

Needless to say, I am pissed. I'm now stick with this truck till Monday, my hunting trip is scrapped, and I deprived myself of things for months just so I could have an empty bank account, and nothing to do with the next week off of work. I cant even go back early because they covered all my shifts and don't need me till after my "vacation."

Worst part is that I have another scope, a Hammers that is honestly a little "too much scope" for the .50, but would work fine, problem is that I fired everything I had trying to get the other scope on paper, and even if I had money to buy more, there is no place even in my region to get Blackhorn 209, so it needs to be ordered online. So, goodbye hunting trip, and goodbye bank account, it was nice knowing you.

Sorry. Guess I mostly needed to vent. But has anyone else found these scopes to be THAT flimsy?

Bummer, I have had 2 scopes go south on different occasions within 2wks of ml season and both times the mfg's got my scopes fixed or replaced within 2days of when season came in. Sorry for your mis-fortune.:wall:

I sent a 600 or so weaver grand slam in for replacement under their warranty for life . Bushnell Vista outdoors owns weaver . They sent me that same 150 doller bushnell trophy as my free replacement. I was beyond up set and still am. It looks clear through the glass but I am concerned about its durability.

I sent a 600 or so weaver grand slam in for replacement under their warranty for life . Bushnell Vista outdoors owns weaver . They sent me that same 150 doller bushnell trophy as my free replacement. I was beyond up set and still am. It looks clear through the glass but I am concerned about its durability.

I don’t blame ya for being upset, I would be to!

I don’t own a Bushnell Scope, I did have a Pair of their 10X50 Binoculars for a Very short while, They looked great from the outside, But were horrible to look through, You had to be cross Eyed to look through them. I checked them for Durability by shooting them with a 12 Gauge Shotgun, They didn’t pass that Test

I had a Winchester model 1200 12 gauge shotgun with a rifled barrel that carried a Bushnell Trophy scope. I lent it to a shirt tail relative to use during his season. He dropped the gun from a 22 foot stand and it clattered down steel steps finally tearing the scope off with the base attached. The scope had dings and dents all the length of it but seemed to have the reticle intact. I ran a bottom tap thru the receiver threads and bought new mounting screws and re-attached the base with loctite in the threads. I hung the scope/rings back on a and shot the gun. I had to move the point of impact at 50 yards three clicks. to the right to be back in the bull with 5 shots. That speaks volumes in itself. Since that episode I too have had the occasion to knock a scope or have a rifle slide over and bang the optics and once I needed to do some adjusting and that one time it was because the screws attaching everything had NOT be loctited....not the scopes. Before you decide to scrap everything try re-tightening every screw in the base and in the rings using blue loctite. Even less expensive scopes are stronger than you think while all those dinky screws that hold the optics are pretty soft threaded and are more at fault than anything.

I had a Winchester model 1200 12 gauge shotgun with a rifled barrel that carried a Bushnell Trophy scope. I lent it to a shirt tail relative to use during his season. He dropped the gun from a 22 foot stand and it clattered down steel steps finally tearing the scope off with the base attached. The scope had dings and dents all the length of it but seemed to have the reticle intact. I ran a bottom tap thru the receiver threads and bought new mounting screws and re-attached the base with loctite in the threads. I hung the scope/rings back on a and shot the gun. I had to move the point of impact at 50 yards three clicks. to the right to be back in the bull with 5 shots. That speaks volumes in itself. Since that episode I too have had the occasion to knock a scope or have a rifle slide over and bang the optics and once I needed to do some adjusting and that one time it was because the screws attaching everything had NOT be loctited....not the scopes. Before you decide to scrap everything try re-tightening every screw in the base and in the rings using blue loctite. Even less expensive scopes are stronger than you think while all those dinky screws that hold the optics are pretty soft threaded and are more at fault than anything.

I did check all the screws when I got home. All still tight, they all required some force to break the loctite that was in there from when I originally mounted it.

In any case, this trip is scrapped regardless. I still have the scope, and if the mood strikes me, I may throw it on a .22 and see if I can get it to track. But after the results I got yesterday, I'm 95% sure this scope is trashed.

The scope isn't the loss here. The loss is the hundreds of dollars I spent (and am now in the hole on) for a trip that I now can't even take. I was ok with the loss provided I got my week and a half out on the hunt. I got to hunt for 2 days.

Last edited:
That said my replacement bushnell is not on a gun , its just a spare or back up now .

That stinks. Too bad your trip got screwed up. Definitely need a backup plan for next time. Always bring at least 2 guns, one with open sights for sure.
Yeah you're right. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that noise. (Expensive) lesson learned, I suppose.

Still super pissed though. I had a prime spot. Almost positive I would have had some meat.

I really bet that an inner lens is cracked or broke loose. They absolutely will not track or shoot to the same POI with an inner lens messed up.
Some times you can see a small black line from the outer edge of the scope's field of view going towards the center when an inner lens is cracked.
I know it doesn't save your trip, that is some pretty terrible bad luck. At least you did the right thing, there are many out there who would've just shrugged and took it hunting the next morning.
I have a Burris that an inner lens cracked on, and it was very similar to your experience. It flat just threw them all over the place, the lens was just floating around inside the tube. I knew the rifle and load well and knew something was wrong after just a few shots when verifying zero before the season opened. After looking closely I could see a black line at about the 4 o'clock position in the scope. I had done nothing to the scope, it just simply happened during the recoil of one of my last shots previously when I had shot it.
In Burris's defense, I sent the scope in to them with a note of my suspicions, and 8 days later a brand new one was sitting on my porch. It sits on the same rifle to this day and I've had no other issues with it.

I really bet that an inner lens is cracked or broke loose. They absolutely will not track or shoot to the same POI with an inner lens messed up.
Some times you can see a small black line from the outer edge of the scope's field of view going towards the center when an inner lens is cracked.
I know it doesn't save your trip, that is some pretty terrible bad luck. At least you did the right thing, there are many out there who would've just shrugged and took it hunting the next morning.
I have a Burris that an inner lens cracked on, and it was very similar to your experience. It flat just threw them all over the place, the lens was just floating around inside the tube. I knew the rifle and load well and knew something was wrong after just a few shots when verifying zero before the season opened. After looking closely I could see a black line at about the 4 o'clock position in the scope. I had done nothing to the scope, it just simply happened during the recoil of one of my last shots previously when I had shot it.
In Burris's defense, I sent the scope in to them with a note of my suspicions, and 8 days later a brand new one was sitting on my porch. It sits on the same rifle to this day and I've had no other issues with it.

It's scary, but you're right. I will never take a shot on a deer unless I have verified that my scope is on point.

I've only ever wounded and lost one deer in my life... and I still think about it to this day. Never again. But even then, it was not the scope, it was me. I hit the liver, may have clipped a lung, but not enough to cause quick bleed out. She ran onto private property, and I was denied access. I still always made sure my rifle was sighted in.

While I could not control the homeowner's actions, the incident is my fault. She never would have made it to his property if I had placed my shot just a couple inches to the left.

We owe it to our quarries to reduce suffering as much as is reasonably possible. I would never take a shot on an animal with a rifle I didnt know was zeroed.

I had a Tasco Pro Point on one of my Whites. I left the open sights on the rifle and on more than one occasion have turned the scope on to find it had no dot. Just pulled the weaver quick detach rings and went with the open sights. Now I do have two muzzleloaders with me just in case that same thing that happened to you, happens to me. I have the luxury of returning home every night after hunting though. So all is not lost regardless of what happens to a rifle.
Sorry your trip went like it did. I had a Bushnell on my 30-06 when I was younger, it was in a case and leaned against the wall. It tipped over and fell into the corner, it didn’t even hit the ground. Just leaned over a couple of feet and hit in the corner of the wall. The variable power locked up on it and it wouldn’t move at all. Stuck on the last power it was set on. I sent it in and they sent me another. The same thing happened a couple of weeks later when i went around a tight turn in the truck and it was muzzle down, in a case, and flopped over against the passenger door. Power adjustment was stuck! I sent it back and demanded my money back. They did send me my money back.

It sounds like you're in Pa. ML season started on Saturday. If you are interested and in Pike county, give me a shout. I have a ml you can borrow 😂.
Well, that's very kind of you, and I am virtually your neighbor right over here in Monroe county, but I already returned the truck to get a refund for the days I won't need it and put the difference toward the extra mileage. This is just a very long, expensive lesson in what I must honestly admit is poor planning. Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be able to afford another rental this season, either, so hunting while probably have to wait till next year.

However, next year is when I have to take my daughter to Puerto Rico for Christmas, so I may be looking at 2022.

Latest posts

Back