So..... why a muzzleloader?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned firearms since I was 12, having saved up my paper route money to purchase a Remington 870 Wingmaster. I have plenty of firearms, and have enjoyed hunting these past 20 years living in Missouri. However, as a former Iron Range Minnesotan, I missed hunting with the snow on the ground. I needed something that would let me hunt late season, be it a pistol, archery or one of those "in-lines" I kept hearing about.

What got me into muzzleloading was a sale at Cabela's on the Traditions Timber Ridge Redi-pac. I seem to recall it was under $100 and the sale included a "starter kit." The thought of a new firearm that was capable of harvesting a deer for under $100 was intriguing. The fact that this weapon would extend my season was also attractive. After purchasing primers and pellets, I was ready to head to the field. My first three shots at 50 yards were close to the bullseye, so I figured things were "good to go" given that most of my shots on my property would be 40-60 yards. My first harvest was at 60 yards, and the shot was true. The smoke kept me from seeing the hit, but when it cleared, the deer had dropped where he had been standing.

Even though I now have four in-lines, we still hunt with the Timber Ridge annually. Why? There is something special about having an affordable rifle that works. While the $99 Redi-pac is history, it was the perfect entry point to a sport that I continue to enjoy.

So you are a Ranger!! I grew up a bit south of there and got my Hawken(still have it) from a Sporting Goods store in Aikin. The Ranger Frat at UMD had the BEST parties. Depending on your age you probably knew some of the "Dream Team" guys that beat the Ruskies...those guys were often at the Ranger parties.....

I have spent the last 30 years as a law enforcement officer. All of my shooting until three years ago was on the tactical side. I wanted to get a rifle to start hunting with my work partner. My wife bought me a Ruger American Predator in .308. I enjoyed that season, even though I harvested nothing. Over that summer, I found a Remington 700 ML (not the Ultimate) on consignment at a local gun store. I figured that for $99, I couldn't lose! I used it for early ML season the next year, and bought a Traditions Buckstalker for late ML. For this season, I purchased a Traditions Vortek Strikerfire w/VAPR barrel. I used it all year, never even broke out the rifle. I enjoy the load work up aspect of the ML, the necessity of making sure that one shot is right, and learning the patience a ML hunt requires.

Last edited:
Michigan is readying GC laws that include banning ALL semi-autos -- handguns & rifles. Illinois tried this week as well. Thinking that is future route/plan for GC crowd which should make ML's more valuable(so get em now) and maybe even entice some manufacturers to start making them again...

I hunt for a number of reasons killing is usually the last of them
I hunt to be a spectator in the natural world as much as possible
A intrusion of hunters into the woods throws all this off
muzzleloader hunting there are less people in the woods and far less shots ringing out and chances are good when you hear a shot a fellow hunter has made a kill, there is a difference between 1 shot and many ringing out
Handloading has always been a passion and a muzzleloader barrel now becomes my cartridge
why choose a muzzleloader? it suits me

You know just last night I was thinking about that while I was holding my very first knight I bought when I was 16 years old. Cabela's had them on sale for $73 and I bailed Hay all weekend so I can afford it. I hunted the opening weekend of gun season and shot a doe at 9 yards with it and I was hooked. I now have two cabinets full of muzzleloaders and seven of them are knights. To me there's nothing better than shooting a muzzleloader and smelling all that sulfur in the air after every shot.

I have only hunted with a bow so far. Last year I got into the idea of a muzzleloader. Here in MA we can deer hunt with bow, muzzleloader or shotgun. I've had the opportunity on good deals on a shotgun, but they don't appeal to me for many of the reasons you mentioned.

I look at hunting as much more than just going out and blasting an animal. With the bow, I really have to do my homework as to where the deer may be and what their travel corridors will be, then hope they come within range for a shot. Going into an area that I have picked out from a topo map and other information I've gleaned on deer behavior and movement and finding deer activity is pretty cool. Having the deer meet me halfway would be nice, but that's hunting.

I guess the challenge of the bow is what makes me continue to use it, so it makes sense that I'd venture into muzzle loading. I have my first one ordered and on the way; CVA Optima V2 Nitride open sights. Not sure that I'll be proficient enough with it to actually hunt with it this season, but I'll be ready for next year.

The people I know who bow hunt and/or hunt muzzleloader all put the effort into the hunt. Scouting, getting in early and setting up and waiting, all the while enjoying the peace and solitude of the woods. A couple guys I know who only hunt shotgun think I'm nuts for the effort I put in, and generally just go out a few times during the season and try to blast a deer while walking in the woods. Not my idea of the whole hunting experience, but to each their own.
Hey there. I’m from Boston, lived on the cape for years also. I’m actually heading ack up to mass now for various reasons. I’m always cut when I see another mass hole around. I’ve been hooked with the muzzy bug for some time now. If you are close to me and want to do some plinking or even just exchange knowledge give me a shout.

Why muzzys? Well, I like the idea of the longer season, the one shot mentality, and the building of not only your rifle to suit your purposes, but working up that load, finding that particular bullet that just makes shooting look easy, and all the other intricacies that come with such a crude form of shooting. It’s very intimate, and the whole process becomes ritualistic. I’ve loved shooting long guns since I started walking. Something about muzzle loaders makes the shooting secondary and the entire process of getting there an absolute thrill. I am so happy that muzzle loaders have evolved to have threaded barrels for brakes, fluted and cerakoted to boot, adjustable stocks etc. I just thoroughly enjoy the process of working up a load, matching primers with propellants, the entire process of it. It brings me closer to my rifle and makes the rewards that much more satisfying.

Unfortunately, here in Michigan BPML's are getting less support from sporting goods stores. Cabelas is in the far southeastern part of the state -- about 480 miles one way from me. Local stores do virtually nothing with BPML's. They do not stock nor order BP and only caps are 209's and sometimes #11's. Jay's, a large sporting goods store with 2 locations in central lower Michigan, carry some BP subs and caps but no BP firearms except for a couple of kits. My last stop when traveling through that region I was told no firearms in stock and they will no longer accept BP firearms in trade.... so only left with basically online sources. ( Qualifier - I'm referring to front stuffers -- the inlines do get some support. Disappointing-- but the in-lines have pretty much taken over the BPML world around here)
There is a cabelas in Saginaw and one in Grand Rapids. No need to drive all the way down. I don’t personally like Cabelas though.

There's got to be a story behind everyone's choice made to shoot and hunt with a muzzleloader. Me? I got tired of all the crap with shotguns and the ammunition. Plus, I seldom needed more than the one shot.

I grew up using a smoothbore shotgun and foster slugs to hunt deer, starting at the age of 14. I shot deer and got pretty good at killing them. I put together a slug gun over time that sported a scope and rifled barrel and that made the hunting that much more humane. What griped me was the constantly changing world of ammunition and with each change the price of using it going straight uphill. I'd shot a handful of deer with a TC Renegade .54 during the regular gun seasons which is where I started developing my attraction to the "one-shot theory" that I'd always adhered to and pushed at my hunting partners, but they were firm in their shotguns.... and making the woods sound like a war zone.

I stumbled across a Winchester bolt .45 muzzy and bought it new at a locally new Cabelas. I scoped it and shot a hundred pounds of bullets and sabots through it getting ready for the next deer season. For the next four seasons this gun and I took as many deer as shots to collect them. BUT, I still played with shotgun game too and ran out to buy the newest and latest and greatest sabot slugs, usually spending $100.00 on them so I could shoot the gun in to them and then use one to kill my deer. Back then I hunted a second season which usually meant hunting on snow or in falling snow. Generally, it was cold, but it was also back when we started to see much warmer weather and hunting in slop was as common as hunting while it was below zero. The shotgun afforded me a reliable first shot while sometimes that front stuffer would balk at the trigger pull and I'd get to see a white flag leaving the area. Over time I was able to find some confidence in what I was shooting in in my muzzy during this late season and somehow just made the switch to using is while my buddies were blazing away and their deer harvest boasted of their lack of accuracy, often sporting two to four hits on a deer. to them it was a deer take. To me I saw waste.

About 25 years ago I got the opportunity to manage a property for an elderly couple. This gave me specific permission to post the property on their behalf and control who was on or using the property. The property was an absolute deer haven, so I decided to hunt it myself, as in by myself. I used my muzzleloader and enjoyed the peace in waiting out deer or the peace of still hunting. After 5 years both of the elderly couple had passed and their kids sold the property. While I managed the place I gave a neighbor permission to come in and harvest downed trees for his firewood as he heated with wood. Not only did he help clean up the forest floor but he help eliminate to a great degree the threat of fires. When the property was lost for me I asked him about hunting on his parcel just up the road. He was more than happy to let me on to hunt and to this day he is one of my best friends. I can count on one hand how many deer I have taken off his land with a shotgun. I have no idea how many I have taken with the muzzies.

Over the years I have added to my muzzy collection, mostly in-lines but also a couple sidelocks. I'd sold that Renegade I hunted with earlier hoping to find a single trigger model. I finally found one only a few years back here on this site. I still haven't shot it and as far as I can tell its never been shot. I sold the Winchester.45 too and hope to someday find another. I have a couple older .45 TC Hawkens that I don't shoot, but they are fun to handle occasionally. There's a lot of memories tied up in those sidelocks and the beginning of the muzzleloader love affair. I seriously shoot at a local club where I'm a long time member and some of the rifle shooters there are simply shocked to see a front stuffer poking holes in holes at 100 yards, so over time my shooting has evolved and gotten much better. So back to the original question.....

Shooting these muzzleloaders either at the range or in the stand has taught me to relax and not be so hurried to shoot. They've taught me several things by the most important is to have confidence in what I am shooting and what I am shooting at. We all go thru little trials with the smoke belching guns, but the trials become teachers and we pay attention. Hunting with muzzleloaders has taught me to appreciate that first shot, and except for twice in all these years, is the only shot that really matters. Hunting with muzzleloaders has allowed me to thoroughly look at the experience, each and every day different from the day before, not so much from the standpoint of the kill but to simply experience what the woods has to offer: the snow falling, the still and quiet, the birds and other animal life, sunrises and sunsets that so many others simply don't see or can't see. I'm getting older and know it... feel it. I don't go to the woods with my muzzies to lament what is coming someday, probably sooner than I'd like, but I go there with my old friend the muzzleloader to be thankful for being there today. I'm a sausage maker and I really do intend to kill deer for that purpose, so I struggle with the idea that I am going there to kill, because the whole experience is so much more than that. Over the many years of hunting with the stink stick I've learned to be more selective in what I take. Horns are nice if what I am aiming at has them but the long nosed, tall eared, does are welcome too. I watch an awful lot of deer come and go while I have that muzzy in my lap. And I don't have to listen to that terrible racket of a shell being racked up.

So, to say that making muzzleloaders my choice over the years is a matter of evolving, the statement would be correct. Being a part of this family here at MM has allowed me to spend time with other who have sauntered down a similar path in their hunting/shooting life. Its given me a chance to watch posting as newcomers go thru the trials and tribulations that making smoke seems to bring with it early on and watch them grow to confidence. My grandkids ask why I don't hunt with a rifle. I tell them I do. The oldest grandson has a muzzleloader but he's still stuck on the cartridge hunting. One day though, he'll get the bug and like all of us here, the evolution will begin in him.
Hello MrTom,
Thank you for the great story! I felt good reading it as it stirred up some memories for me.
My family asks me the same question..why muzzy?
Well I started 40 years ago in NY to be able to hunt more with the extra season. I loved it immediately! I even tried to get my bud's into it but they did not see the lure. I think you have to have that "I wish I was a mountain man attitude"
I live in AZ now and am becoming more and more involved.. my wife says I'm obsessing. It's true some days. I learned so much here that now I want to try this and try that and it ain't helping the obsession! Haha I love love it. Plain and simple.
I think next time someone asks me why I will just let them read your post.. It's perfect!

I went to muzzleloaders to many years ago to remember.But,I like the idea of having that extra season just to be out in the woods.And if by chance I don,t get a deer in bow or rifle season here in Indiana with the cut corn fields and bean fields,I know the deer will be out getting their grub on.I built 2 groudndblinds awhile back and they both cover where I like to hunt.On private propety of only my brother and I can hunt.I only hunt my tree stands when the weather is acceptable.

Why i shoot ML's, my 1st was my Great Grand Pa's perc. 45. My Pa got it out for us to shoot in 1958, at the age of 8. My Pa had been teaching me gun safety as long as i remember. I got my 1st Gun for Christmas of 1950 n i was right at 7 months old. So the .45 was about as accurate as a smoothbore at 50 yards using prb's. I bought my own ML in 72 or 73, was a H&R Huntsman with a BP in a .45. Was a good shooter finally sold it in 87, since i had bought half dz. other ML's. Was no shortage of tick toters n had plenty of tags back in mid 70's. I just like shooting them n never have i felt i gave up anything to CF rifles. I don't even own a CF anymore

VA. has come a long way since those first ML seasons. Now scopes are allowed, .410 caliber is allowed, you can kill two deer a day instead of one, you can kill two bucks during ML seasons instead of one and Sunday hunting is now allowed and we have a three week late ML season, last two weeks of December-first week of January. Wish they had done all that 40 years ago!!
I've heard of states where you can't buy alcohol but no hunting on Sundays takes it to a whole new level.

Thanks for sharing!

Walt

I was born and raised in California. I remember my Dad going to Utah to hunt deer when I was about five. We only had a couple of guns in the house. His, and a 22 Rifle. He grew up in Minnesota where he hunted and trapped.

I was 16 when we moved to Oregon in 1974. We arrived too late for that deer season (must be a Resident for at least 6 months). He still had his trusty 30-40 Krag. He bought a rifle for my mother. Mine was usually a loner from one of his friends. We hunted every year until I moved back to Cali in 1980. I finally bought my first rifle, a Remington model 788 in 308. It was stolen so the only gun I took with me was a Remington 22.

I got the ML bug in the mid-1980s while working at Montgomery Ward. They sold guns back then and I asked to see a CVA Kentucky Pistol that was in the glass case. Shortly afterward, I had a T/C 50 cal Hawken rifle. I was more into target shooting. Having been in Oregon where you walk in and purchase a license and tag to a state where it was on an Application basis was not appealing to me. As a result, I never hunted there.

In 1990, I applied for a non-Resident License and Tag in Oregon. I hunted with my dad and either my brother or mom. My brother didn’t own a gun, so he borrowed hers. I brought the only one I had, my trusty T/C Hawken. I never harvested a deer but did get a shot or two off. When I was ready to head home, my father asked, “You’re going to bring a REAL gun next time, right?”.

I’ve been shooting Muzzies for so long that they’ve just become my preferred type of firearm. I sold a bunch of my Modern guns to buy more Front Loaders.

Oregon changed their Muzzleloader Season a couple of years back. First, it’s not an extra hunt here. You must pick one, CF or ML. It encompassed four units and started when CF season did. If you didn’t get one in one unit, you moved on to the next as they were consecutive. When it ended in one, the next opened. You had almost two months! Now you have to pick a unit and the hunt is 9 to 14 days, usually in November. Since then, I have not drawn an ML Deer Tag (Application for a Special Hunt). I used to receive one every year. Other changes we’ve seen are the use of Fiber-optic Sights and a closed Ignition System. We still have to have loose powder, Percussion Caps, and Solid-Lead Projectiles. Scopes aren’t allowed. No Sabots or Plastic skirts, either.

I recently purchased a Scoped Inline that uses 209 primers. I could have bought one that was “Oregon Legal” but chose this instead. I plan to use a sidelock for ML season should I be one of the lucky few to get a Tag. If not, I have more ammo for that than I do Cartridges for my last remaining CF Rifle. I would use it during the “Regular” season. I’ve never been intrigued by the Inlines. I bought a scoped CVA Eclipse so I could teach ML classes (inline, percussion, & flintlock). I really like the idea of the Break-open action. At one time I thought about joining the ranks of those who sit at the Reloading Bench. Democratic Presidents and Pandemics cleaned out most components, except Muzzle Loading. Caps are a little scarce right now but everything else is available. With Modern Muzzleloaders like my Buckstalker reaching CF-type ballistics, I’d rather sit at the shooting bench, reloading there! No expensive equipment or supplies. No cartridges to clean, de-prime, and prime. Just plain old shooting fun!

While I’ve always dreamed of living and shooting Primitive (even joined a club to do that) my work schedule has not allowed me to do much more than, collect, target shoot, and maybe hunt. I’m retiring in a couple of years so hopefully, that will change.

I’ve been fortunate enough to have a Muzzle Loader Gun store nearby since I started this path. I can’t imagine what it would be like not to walk in and pick up a gun.

Inserting a fully contained cartridge into a modern breech is easier. Loading powder, projectile, and primer, whether a percussion cap, pan powder, or modern, just seems simpler.

Thanks for sharing your stories!

Walt

Add to that the war zone all around me as neighboring landowners were conducting what I later learned were deer drives
My Minnesota-born father liked doing "drives" here in Oregon. Needless to say, they never worked.

Now I know where he got the idea from.

Thanks for the insight!

Walt

There are several reasons for me. I like the pace, I kind of revel the process, and I really enjoy learning, and there is a lot to learn. I enjoy my cartridge guns, but I shoot my muzzleloaders way more these days.

I have only hunted with a bow so far. Last year I got into the idea of a muzzleloader. Here in MA we can deer hunt with bow, muzzleloader or shotgun. I've had the opportunity on good deals on a shotgun, but they don't appeal to me for many of the reasons you mentioned.

I look at hunting as much more than just going out and blasting an animal. With the bow, I really have to do my homework as to where the deer may be and what their travel corridors will be, then hope they come within range for a shot. Going into an area that I have picked out from a topo map and other information I've gleaned on deer behavior and movement and finding deer activity is pretty cool. Having the deer meet me halfway would be nice, but that's hunting.

I guess the challenge of the bow is what makes me continue to use it, so it makes sense that I'd venture into muzzle loading. I have my first one ordered and on the way; CVA Optima V2 Nitride open sights. Not sure that I'll be proficient enough with it to actually hunt with it this season, but I'll be ready for next year.

The people I know who bow hunt and/or hunt muzzleloader all put the effort into the hunt. Scouting, getting in early and setting up and waiting, all the while enjoying the peace and solitude of the woods. A couple guys I know who only hunt shotgun think I'm nuts for the effort I put in, and generally just go out a few times during the season and try to blast a deer while walking in the woods. Not my idea of the whole hunting experience, but to each their own.
Great post. Hi from Mid Cape

I started down my muzzleloading journey as a teenager as a way to bag another buck during the season. I moved away to a location that wasn't hunting friendly (big city) and abandoned hunting and firearms all together. Now I'm an old man with not much money to live off of. I was gifted a Marlin 22 mag that no matter what I tried, it shot all over the place. I think it was the ammo quality. This did nothing to boost my faith in modern firearms. I was later gifted a TC Black Diamond. Now I am in total control of my ammo and I have gained a considerable amount of confidence in my firearm. I'm usually pretty bored now that I'm retired and don't really have a lot to do. Muzzleloading to me is never ending. Your always on the lookout for soft lead, something to make a good pour pot, something new to use as an ingot mold, etc. etc. ML is the only way to go in my opinion, who needs to shoot 20 rounds back to back other than some terrorist. Get good, one shot is all you need. Good day all :)

I had wanted a muzzleloader for a good while and finally bought a .45 underhammer in the mid 1960s. I bought a flintlock about a year or two after that. As a kid I hunted small game with a single shot .22 or an old shotgun which even back then was no longer made. I killed a couple of bobcats with that underhammer and killed deer with it later on. I then killed many deer with modern bolt action rifles but still loved black powder shooting.

I like challenges and using the least to get deer. I killed several deer with a .22 Hornet and went back to MLs. For several years I killed my deer with revolvers a few revolvers I had using the stock iron sights. I was a very good shot back then and taught pistol shooting at the local police academy. But with MLs I liked the one-shot challenge with a patched round ball. I ended up hunting with nothing but flintlocks and having way too much fun. I frequently killed a deer - but as my habit - I stayed on stand for at least another hour. Many times I got three deer in that one hour. The history, the 18th century equipment and the satisfaction of taking deer with BP always appealed to me.
This one I took with a musket smoothbore.

Still have that underhammer.

Latest posts

Back