Some muzzleloading arms are subject to Gun Control Act

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Ross

Reaction score
Some muzzleloading arms are subject to Gun Control Act:
Cartridge firearms converted to muzzleloaders
Thompson Center G2 Contender 209-45
Thompson Center Encore 209-50
The H&R 1871 Huntsman
Rossi S50
Mauser 98 fitted with a muzzle loading barrel
Remington 870 fitted with a muzzle loading barrel
Mossberg 500 fitted with a muzzle loading barrel

https://www.atf.gov/file/56421/download

I got this information from this link:
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.p...ied-as-firearms-by-batf.851472/#post-11134925

Always have been. The receiver with the serial number capable of other than muzzle loading barrels. Kinda like a lower on an Armalite Rifle is FFL required

So am I correct in assuming my Savage 111 (formerly 30-06) that is now an SML is still a fire arm?

NICS would certainly think so.
It could not be sold with both barrels without an FFL.

I shipped my sav. mod. 12 converion sml directly to a ffl and received it directly back. I sent it for repairs, barreled action only, through usps. You may be able to ship to ffl of buyers choice directly. It may depend on your states law or interpretation of it.

The determining factor is the action, not how it is barreled at the moment, unless it was initially not a firearm and then it was converted to a firearm. If this does not make sense, welcome to the wonderful world of government. A guy I know who is an FFL holder told me that, if he cuts a thread on the end of a rifle barrel, the ATF considers him as having manufactured a firearm, so he needs a separate license.

The determining factor is the action, not how it is barreled at the moment, unless it was initially not a firearm and then it was converted to a firearm. If this does not make sense, welcome to the wonderful world of government. A guy I know who is an FFL holder told me that, if he cuts a thread on the end of a rifle barrel, the ATF considers him as having manufactured a firearm, so he needs a separate license.
The gun was originally a 30-06 model 111. I'm selling it with everything to easily switch back and forth between SML and '06. I was going to ship the '06 parts separately but from I learned on this thread I'll still have to go thru an FFL holder.

You can send your Savage directly to the purchaser's receiving ffl. USPS requires a copy of the recepient's ffl for their records. The ffl can send you a picture of it, a pdf of a scan, et cetera. You print it, take it with ya to your local post office.
I don't seal up the box containing the rifle, in case the clerk wants to verify the rifle is unloaded.
One copy of ffl goes in the box, box is addressed to adress on ffl, tape the crap out of it, and all is good. Like I said the post office files a copy of the license, so you need to bring 2 copies.

The purchaser's ffl may or may not require a copy of your driver's license to long the rifle in to his/her bound book. Of course each dealer is their own business, so they may not be willing to receive your rifle from you. I tell the purchaser they will either need to find another ffl, or pay whatever fee my dealer charges.
Gunbroker has a good ffl locator, by ZIP code. Oftimes you can find a home business ffl, with much more convenient locations, hours, and fees.

Back