Sounds like the New 8 Oz Bottles of BH 209 is Real

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive got about 7# of 209 left and if and when I shoot it up I will never buy it again.. Shot 777,Black and Pyrodex for 27 yrs and didnt have a problem.. I actually prefer 777 to 209 other then breech plugs wanting to get stuck with 777..its easier to clean up then 209 contrary to all the hype.

dbowling said:
.......................... 777..its easier to clean up then 209 contrary to all the hype.

If one uses the same cleaning solution to begin width, on Blackhorn, that one uses on 777, cleaning Blackhorn fouling is as easy to clean as 777 fouling. Works good on Blackhorn fouled breech plugs too.

Breech plugs are easy to remove when burning 777, if one uses plumber tape lightly oiled with a light oil.

I've pretty much cleaned more BH and T7 than I could count.

I've shot 5 CASES, not bottles, of T7 yearly with the Ultimate BP Xpress.

As for BH, OMG, I've went through that like water through a sieve. When I was shooting heavy, I'd burn up 5# in 3 months.

EITHER propellant used, required many cleanings over that time. Unable to even imagine that number.

There is no possible way I could clean my rifle in as little time, or with as few patches as I can after shooting T7. Many rounds of heavy charges of T7, actually 180grs of T7M.
It takes considerable time to clean after shooting BH and 3 to 4 times as many patches. When I say CLEAN, I mean exactly that. Bare metal clean.

I've posted this video before. I think I say in the video that I shot the rifle about 25 times that day, all 180gr charges of T7M. Cleaning it takes about 6 minutes and 6 patches.
With BH......... Its impossible to CLEAN my rifle with 6 patches. Not going to happen and believe me, I've tried everything. I shot about 4,000grs at Camp Atterbury and when finished shooting, ran a dry patch in and out. When home, I went through probably 15 patches+, maybe a few more, to get that barrel down to bare metal.

Everyone's results and methods may differ but, CLEAN for my rifles is down to bare metal, lubricate and back in the safe.

Last edited:
New to black powder but between price (hazmat) and availability I am just investing in the required equipment ect to make BP.

Just remember. Plenty of us used real black powder in our in-lines before BH209 came along. I still shoot a fair amount of it with my sidelocks and Whites and it still works great. I for one, would have no problem going back to it in my closed breech in-lines when I run dry on BH209. I will just have to stock up on more swabbing patches. No way I will pay those prices for BH209. The stuff is good, but not that good.

Natchez has some sweet clearance items 07/10/2022,
Traditions Sabot with Bullet .50 Sabot 275 gr .45 cal Bullet 20/ctYLA18041$13.94Plano Gun Guard SE Series Contour Single Rifle/Shotgun CaseGG10104851$16.52Shooter's Ridge Fixed-Length 38" Shooting Stick - CamoSE404621$8.22Natchez Catalog60N1$0.00 Subtotal$38.68 Shipping & Handling$17.36 Tax$3.29 Grand Total$59.33

Back to T777 for me for sure. I have killed a lot of game with my Muzzy long before BH came out. And I will continue to going forward.

Back to T777 for me for sure. I have killed a lot of game with my Muzzy long before BH came out. And I will continue to going forward.
Not a dang thing wrong with T7. I've shot it in my .40 Seneca, ROA pistol, Pedersoli BP 12ga, I have a T7 load for my .45 Accura with GT cast bullets as a cheap plinking load & its all I'm using in my new .50 sidelock. The only thing that I don't run a T7 load thru is my Paramount.

Back