Spain's Contribution to the American Revolution

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
Over on the American Longrifles Forum, a thread on the Spanish Escopeta smootbore revealed some surprising information to me.

First, that Spain sent 18,000 muskets to Washington's army to arm themselves against the British.

Second, that Havana, Cuba sent the equivalent of several millions of dollars in gold to help fund our fledgling nation.

To say that I was flabbergasted by what was revealed in that thread, would be a complete understatement.

NOWHERE in 12 years of public education, in fairly tough city schools with high standards, was there ANY MENTION of Spain contributing to the American Revolutionary cause.

And, I have been around some pretty well educated people with degrees from some of the so-called best univesities; and I have NEVER heard Spain mentioned as an ally during our fight with England.

The ONLY reason I can come up with for such an omission is the war on fascism, and the United State's general dislike towards Spain post-WWII.

Any thoughts?

I think from the war of independence, to the war of secession to the indian wars lots of history had been omitted quite often for political reasons.

I'm a big history nut, particularly of american history and the little I have learnt is more than most Australians and given what has been happening in the states of late I'd dare say more than many Americans. Much of it is simply because you must actively search out history for yourself.

In the example you gave, I find the Cuban donation more fascinating given 20th century relations between the nations.

One of the posters over on ALR stated that the primary reason Spain has been left out of the history books vis-a-vis the American Revolution is religion.

To be specific, Catholicism vs Protestantism. Or, King Henry VIII vs the Pope.

So, the fledgling American Revolution took comfort and aid from both France and Spain, who both had Bourbon kings. But, the colonists were mostly of Protestant English extraction, and therefore had no great love for either predominantly Catholic country.

So, even though Spain's military intervention in Florida & the West Indies was CRUCIAL to the ending of the war at Cornwallis's surrender at Yorktown; the religious hatred between the two religions, and the complete dislike of England towards Spain dictated that Spain be given virtually NO CREDIT for their help during the Revolutionary War.

My dad had told a group of German farmers (neighbors) that they where all related to him! Said that are ancestor had traveled the world raping and pillaging! I’m sure there was some beer drinking involved...😃

Thanks for sharing this, Bruce. I had never heard of either Spain or Cuba's contribution before and will be heading over to the forum as soon as I log off.

England, France and Spain waged war for a VERY LONG time. Their involvement in our Revolutionary War boiled down to a proxy war and not much later they were all at war again in Europe during the Coalition Wars. Spain was also trying to secure its trade routes with its new world colonies. So dont think for a second they helped us just to be generous. They did it for themselves more than anything. Cuba a Spanish colony made a ton of money off of exports to US colonies. Probably 90% of their exports were sent here.

Last edited:
England, France and Spain waged war for a VERY LONG time. Their involvement in our Revolutionary War boiled down to a proxy war and not much later they were all at war again in Europe during the Coalition Wars. Spain was also trying to secure its trade routes with its new world colonies. So dont think for a second they helped us just to be generous. They did it for themselves more than anything. Cuba a Spanish colony made a ton of money off of exports to US colonies. Probably 90% of their exports were sent here.
I knew of the long period of wars that England, France, and Spain waged against one another. I just had never been aware that Spain's Governor of Louisiana, Bernardo de Galvez, had waged a successful military campaign to take control of the Mississippi river. He then attacked Fort Charlotte in Mobile, and captured it. His attack on Fort George in Pensacola was initially interupted by a hurricane. The subsequent attack failed, necessitating a retreat to Havana, Cuba. A further attack on Fort George was successful, effectively removing the British from the lower Mississippi, and the Gulf of Mexico during the latter part of the war.

By doing so, Governor Galvez was able to send Spanish warships to the West Indies, thus relieving French warships to blockade the Chesapeake Bay, which prevented the British from re-supplying, and reinforcing General Cornwallis at Yorktown.

This led DIRECTLY to Cornwallis's defeat, months earlier than would otherwise have been possible. Thus bringing our Revolutionary War to a quicker end.

Until a week, or so ago, this was all new to me.

Do you have any book references to read up on this subject further? It's very intriguing.

Just what I looked up online. I'm guessing a lot is probably in Spanish, or otherwise might be research papers for graduate degrees in both southern U.S. universities, and Mexican universities?

Latest posts

Back