Spawning Crappie Cranks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
The top bait has a long bill and the bottom has a short square bill. Both are 2 1/2″ baits.

I call this pattern “Spawning Crappie” for a couple reasons: spawning male crappies have a great deal of random black coloration and they also have that bluish-purplish sheen across the back that shifts color as the fish is turned in light. Both of these baits have an interference top coat that puts a blue-to purple color shifting pigment right up there in the light. The camera’s internal filtering hampers some of this but if one looks close at the backs of these guys they can see the purplish-blue color there. Its way more dramatic in the hand.

I used balls of preserved moss to get the random black splatters on the sides. It was my first time using this as a template and I guess things went well enough I’ll do it again. One more dunking in the Seal Coat, then a day of dry time and some split rings and hooks and these can go swimming. And hopefully…..catching. lol

Attachments:

Back