speed loader carry options

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried using them that way, too. Now i have two bullets in one tube, and powder loads in the other two tubes.
I have been doing exactly that for the last cpl yrs. This yr I got some of the CVA speed loaders for 5.00 each. Thats crazy, but they are very practical to use. I just have to remember to put my dang thumb over the side holding the bullet while I'm pouring the powder down the bore.

I use the short Lane's tubes for pre-weighed powder charges. For the bullets, I fit them into the appropriate sabot for that caliber and slip them into a long Lane's tube, bullet first. Three bullet/sabot combos to a long tube. I use another long tube for loose primers plus I have a couple 9-nine primer silicone blocks filled with primers. The tubed powder, tubed primers and tubed bullets go in a zip lock and then in my coat pocket. One of the primer blocks goes in the same pocket and the other in a pants pocket. I'm primer obsessive. I want them available everywhere.

If I get a hit on a deer, the first thing I do is focus on where that deer was standing at the shot. I'll study that spot for 5 minutes or more if the deer has run. I need to know exactly where the critter was and I'll spent an inordinate amount of time focused on that spot. ... during which I get the goodies out of my pocket and reload pretty much by feel if the deer is out of sight. When the bullet is seated, I swap the bag for the primer block, then I take my eyes off that spot to prime and then get out of the stand.

A deer that drops at the hit is one thing. One that runs is quite another and the best of things to happen is to focus on that spot and load while you focus, which means whatever system you use to carry the loads has to be darned near fool proof. I have used my system for over twenty years.... it's as much of an engrained thing to do as my breathing. Finding a deer that runs after being hit starts right where it was standing and if your re-load takes your eytes off that spot, half of what might find that deer will be lost.

That's why I like the old Butler Creek Lightning Loaders, they have a clip like on a ball point pen. I just slip one somewhere handy for a reload.

I tried using them that way, too. Now i have two bullets in one tube, and powder loads in the other two tubes.
This is what I have been thinking about. Individual powder loads in 2 or 3, 2 bullets per tube in a couple and another tube with a few caps/primers.

I picked up a dozen of these 10ml plastic test tubes off of Amazon. They work good for a .50. Will hold the bullet plus two 50/50 pellets. There are two patches in the very end just to keep the load from rattling around plus the bullet won’t go all the way down and sticks a bit.

I am looking at switching to loose powder so I made up the 3 tubes epoxied together. The two outer tubes will hold the loose powder charges while the single center one will hold two bullets and a couple of extra primers. The caps for the powder are taped red and the tube for the bullets is taped blue.

I think it was about $9 for the dozen tubes.

ECC7BD02-2333-45A7-8570-E0FC0483AA45.jpeg

Back