Speer 454 Casull 300 Grain .452 DEEPCURL Bullet Test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
I have had these Bullets for Quite Sometime now, just got around to Shooting them this morning, I shot them Sabotless in my Sidelock, Rice 1:20 Twist .45 Cal .450 Bore, Accuracy was good  :Red tup: The Bullets held up well, I recovered all 4 from the Sand Bank Backstop. 

I forgot to Zoom in on shot 1, I got to talking and Spaced it off. Shot <a href='/tags/1' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #1'>#1</a> was a very slight Hangfire in which i called, It was My Fault for not taking an Extra minute Cleaning/Drying the Bore. Anyway, The next 3 Shots made a 3/4” Group, Target was about 70 Yards here.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RbJBVWAPWOo" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Bullet Box
h4O1YoJl.jpg

Recovered Bullets
UuDUgBnl.jpg

L5VHYmDl.jpg

I am not sure that these Bullets would Pass Ron L’s Light charge test? I hit these with 80 Grains of Swiss 2F, I am Confident these would have been in the 1600 FPS Range, or very close there abouts. I have my Doubts that these would perform that Great at 150-200 Yards?

Since they are engineered to expand at .454 Casull velocities, which I believe is about 1600 fps, I would agree they might not have reliable expansion at distance when velocity drops off quite a bit.  I would test them with light loads, with a chrono to show MV, into wet newspaper.  Keep dropping charge until expansion isn't acceptable.  Note the minimum velocity that had acceptable expansion and then run the numbers to see what distance your preferred most accurate charge has slowed enough to hit the minimum velocity that was discovered in the above test.

Heck Lew, the way you shoot I'd just put your Chrono out at 150 yards and shoot through it rather than running the numbers. :D

Back