Speer deepcurl 300 grain recommendations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Footindave

Reaction score
Looking for top three sabot recommendations for this bullet. I plan on giving myself and boys a fair amount of trigger time so I bought that 500 pack from midway.
This is my first attempt at these and will be shooting them out of a couple encores and boys cva accura mr

Harvester crush rib sabot ,Harvester crush rib sabot ,Harvester crush rib sabot
Might try different powder charges to Taylor to each gun

I haven’t shot the deep curls but I’ve shot the gold dot and the jsp bullets from Speer and I found that they seem to swell a sabot when trying to seat them almost like the base of the bullet was slightly larger in diameter. I found the black crush rib sabot like mentioned was the best fit

I have only shot the DC with a Harvester short black but had good accuracy out of a DISC rifle. I just ordered the 500 pack and some crush ribs to try. I may try the long blacks as well just for comparison but hoping for good results in the rifles with the crush rib.

I shoot the MMP sabot but would shoot whatever fits my muzzleloader. Muzzleloader bores are not machined as accurately as center fires. So I measure my bore then match the bullet/sabot to fit. My bore is .504 so I have to go with the .452 bullet and MMP sabot to fit. You don't want your bullet/sabot falling down the bore nor do you want to have to stand on the ram rod to get it down. Just my two cents.

Personally, I like Harvester Sabots because I can buy them at Graf & Sons and get a fair price and cheap shipping.

I have the 3 different 50 / 45s on hand at all times. Generally speaking, the CR is for TC rifles ( tight barrels ) and the long smooth black works best for other rifles.

I’d order all three and see what works best. It can make a difference. If shooting < 100 yards... I think any will work fine.

CVA MR here. I have had great success with the Harvester short black and the MMP 3 petal. By great success I mean 1 1/2 inch groups @ 100. Other sabots have produced much larger or erratic group sizes.

Latest posts

Back