Spike Whitetail Regulations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
I live and hunt in NW VA. In VA, a buck is defined has anything with an antler above the hairline. Does and button bucks are tagged as antlerless. The area I hunt in allows two bucks season, with the second tag available only after tagging two antlerless deer. Antlerless deer are nearly unlimited on private land if you keep buying bonus tags.

So why the regulation lesson? Buddy of mine shoot what he thought was a doe yesterday on the opening day of muzzle loader season. Deer suddenly appeared behind him, looked like a good doe so he shot. Upon recovery it was a spike buck with two tiny antlers braking the hairline.

I felt bag he had to burn his buck tag. Those antlers were so tiny they were completely hidden behind his ears. Do your localities define deer the same way? Thinking of trying to lobby for a regulation change saying spikes should be a certain length or over the ears. Would love any feedbacl. Thsnks.

Here in Alberta, Canada we are considered antlerless if the antlers are 10cm (4”) in total length or less.
The idea is to remove the scenario as you described.
Walk

A legal buck in Indiana has to have one antler 3 inches long.

Its either 3" or 4" here in Minnesota.

In VT a legal buck has to have at least one antler with 2 points. If the antlers are less than 3” it’s considered antlerless. Bucks with spikes longer than 3” are protected.
I killed a spike buck about 10 years ago with 4” spikes, I thought it was a doe. That’s a no-no. I turned myself in and didn’t get in any trouble. Our rules make it very difficult to hunt without a scope.

I'm in VA also and saw the same situation this mornings muzzleloader hunt. I shot an eight point but friends son shot a 3/4 inch spike buck a shame to tag as a buck but those tiny horns are a hefty penalty if you don't. I hate the rule for the fact that often they are clearly not visible unless standing right under you.

Thanks for the input. Now for the hard part, getting someone who can make a change to listen.

I have one at my stand that’s a 1 1/2 year old with horns that’s about 1/2” above the hairline. I almost shot it as a doe. But I carry binoculars and check before I shoot. I would suggest taking a little more time before just pulling the trigger. So what if you miss your shot. It’s a deer. There will be another walk by.

I'm trying to picture how the antlers are hidden behind the ears.

Many States have the 3” or less it’s considered ‘anterless’ for tagging. How is one supposed to see ‘nubs’ or bumps at 80 yards? Get that rule changed.

On a quick look, the ears can hide spikes, depending on angle, etc..

I’ve hunted a property where the owner doesn’t like you shooting nubbins, if you can help it. I look them over the best I can, not always correct though.

Tenn. was same a couple years ago they changed to the same as Va. They changed it back to 3". Maybe refer your dnr to research other states who have had similar restrictions. That rule does nothing for any kind of herd management. Most often the rules are made up by non-hunter officials.

Virginia really needs to change the current regs on this issue I agree 100%. I killed a spike for the first deer taken this year. I knew it was a spike an watched it for awhile. He was actually a big deer an since I'm a meat hunter first off he was taken at close range. Upon loading him into my truck the land owner noticed he didn't have any teeth (I never looked). Glad I took him out of the herd, he was an older deer, spikes were only one inch long. I used a buck tag as required.
I then killed my 8 point the next day on another property so was tagged out on bucks.
Still on another property I had a nice deer approaching me at dusk, but luckly I saw a glint of antler an he had roughly 6" spikes, when he turned his head with ears up you couldn't see the spikes.

Like said getting DGIF to change this is gonna be the challenge for sure!!

Wisconsin is 3". We have a number of small bucks on our property including one with a tiny fork on one side and nothing on the other. We are very careful when shooting does at longer range to make sure they are a doe.

Thanks for all of the opinions. I try to be extremely careful. I can see how easily mistakes could be made, especially as range increases.

Latest posts

Back