Spire point loading tip ramrod

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
Apologies for the dry title, I find when googling or searching forums for information the way things are worded makes stuff hard to find. So the above is just keywords if anyone else on the Web has the same questions.

An issue I never found a work around for with my inline and may become one for my new rifle is how to manage loading sabots/spire point bullets in the field. It was recommended i use the special loading jag to not damage the tip of the bullet but the problem being that when screwed onto the ramrod I couldn't put the ramrod into the rifle.

It was OK for single shots but in instance where a quick second shot is needed I lost so much time screwing the damned thing in it cost me animals.

Is there a way around this anyone has found?

You may have to get a custom ramrod to allow the loading jag to fit. I have a couple of guns that it hangs out 1/2” or so, and a couple that won’t allow anything screwed into the end that is at the muzzle.

You may have to get a custom ramrod to allow the loading jag to fit. I have a couple of guns that it hangs out 1/2” or so, and a couple that won’t allow anything screwed into the end that is at the muzzle.

I have seen some that look like that, on my previous rifle it would only fit loading tip first. The missouri river seems to be the same with the stock rod.

images (7).jpeg

I know pedersoli have aftermarket fibre glass rods, not sure how they load though.

Hanksprecisiongunparts has a spin-jag type loading jag that will load all the way down to 375cal bullets and should clear the ramrod ferrules. You may have to shorten your ramrod to use it.

If your ramrod is similar to the picture, you could drill and tap that end. It looks designed for rounded projectiles, the end on my stock TC Renegade rod is similar and already has a hole in it. It’s not tapped but it would be no big deal, even with a hand drill, to drill it for a 10-32 thread and tap it. If you have access to a drill press you can clamp a 2x4 to the table, drill a 3/8” hole all the way through it, slide your ramrod into the hole, hold it from the bottom and drill your hole. This method should get you centered very well. Then put your tap in the chuck and start it by hand. Once you get a couple of threads cut, you can take the tap out of the chuck and tap it with a tap holder.

Back