Spring, summer and fall reminder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to ask all the motorcycle riders, lawn mowers, walkers, bicyclers, to turn on your head light and wear bright colors. I put a lot of miles on every year and without fail find people walking the side of the road with colors that blend in with the background. Bright green , yellow, hunter orange, flashing lights, make you all so much more visible. And just because you have the right of way doesnt mean you should just walk across a crosswalk without looking. Make eye contact wirth the driver to be sure you are seen. Please help us to see you.

A little over a year ago my working partner and I were were going to work in the orchards north of Traverse. Rarely but on this occasion I was following him in my vehicle. It was 6:00 am or so , very dark, some light snow had fallen and was still falling, roads were slippery, Visibility was poor. Following my buddy I see him dart left so was aware something was up even though I could not see it. All of a sudden a black shape appears on the right side of the road inside of the curb on the road side. It was a back packer, dressed in black from head to toe. If my buddy hadnt seen him and if I hadn't seen my buddy take evasive action I could have hit the person. Heres the real kicker. There is a nicely groomed sidewalk 10 feet away.

I appreciate you all have the right to be where you are and to wear what you like but once your dead that's it. Doesnt matter whos fault it is. Help us to see you.

Last edited:
I had to sell my bike last year when i lost my good paying pita job. my wife said i can buy another but she really hopes that i wont. Sexy but too dangerous i think she said.

I stopped 2 wheels years ago because to many people in cars attempted to kill me. I ride 3 wheels now and they'll still try to kill you.

Took a turn at an intersection a couple years back and some knot head blew grass in the road like the photo above. It put me sideways before I stopped. That guy.... he doesn't blow his grass in the road anymore.

I always mow my grass away from traffic. It irritates me when people mow there lawn with the grass being thrown toward the road. My dad taught me as a kid that if you hit a stone or whatever it comes out like a bullet and will do damage.

I lived on a corner lot in town until recently. So I had pavement on 2 sides. As traffic approached I always stopped mowing and let them pass.

I was driving down a paved rural road and an old guy was mowing his lawn with the grass exhaust toward the road. As I went by I heard something hit my door. I stopped. Just below my window was an impressive gash. Had that hit me in the head I think I would have been severely injured. I did go back and showed the guy. He was an older farmer and should know better. He offered to pay the damage but it was my old beater I was driving. No sweat. That's why I drive it.

I raced motocross at a high level when I was a kid and my skills on a race bike saved my life on more than one occasion on my street bike. IMO the only way to ride a bike on the street is to consider yourself totally invisible. Nobody can see you. I sold my last road bike (Suz GS1000) in 1985 with never having fallen off or being run over which is a miracle considering I didn't have a throttle, I had a toggle switch. Either all the way on or all the way off. The bike had about 10,00 miles on it and I was into my fourth rear tire and second set of brakes. Back then I wasn't happy unless I was flat out with my hair on fire.

I started driving when I was 12 in the fields. I racked up a lot of miles on tractors, cars, pickup trucks, and overloaded box trucks. My uncle sent me to Detroit at 17 and 18 years old with overloaded concrete trucks. I always drive with my eyes wide open and ready to hit the brakes. I remember half of the people out there are below average drivers and would rather text than pay attention.

I started out with a Harley almost 57 years ago. Rode a variety of bikes over the years. About 18 months ago my bike burned up when it was in the shop. Did not replace it and probably won't. My family thinks someone will hit me. My close calls have been because of that. Miss it but have grandkids now so plan to stay on 4 wheels I think.

Latest posts

Back