SST or Spitfire

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
In thinking about which projectile I will use this season, I find myself looking at several possabilities. A choice between SST's or Spitfires.

The Elite really loves the 200 SST's and 245 Spitfires equally at 100 yards, (absolutely LIGHTS OUT 8) ) but I can't seem to get the 250 SST's to group better than 1-1/4". Even changed to the Short MMPSabot. To no avail. So they're out. I'm looking for the best terminal performance in a lighter bullet.
I will have to test both the 200 SST's and the 245 Spitfires at 150 and 200 yards. The 200 SST is 3" high at 100 yards and the 245 Spitfire is dead on at 100 yards so POI will have to be adjusted a bit.

I have not tried the 195 Spitfire with the Blue sabot yet. Assuming it will shot lights out like the 200 SST, would or would it not be a better choice? I'm referring to terminal performance of course.

Chuck...How did yours shoot with the 195 Spitfire? Use it on game yet? :)

Personally, If I had them both shooting at the same accuracy I would go with the spitfire. It is a better bullet as far as holding together and I think it opens up better at muzzleloader velocities. Your kinetic energy should be better with the spitfire and I am not sure which one has the higher true b.c. Perhaps shoot them both at 200 yards and let the groups make the decision for you. I just think bullet wise the spitfire is better, but more costly if you shoot a lot.

encoreguy said:
Personally, If I had them both shooting at the same accuracy I would go with the spitfire. It is a better bullet as far as holding together and I think it opens up better at muzzleloader velocitie.

I've seen several cases where they didn't open at all. :shock:

Hands down I'd go with the SST for performance and accuracy. :wink:

1 1/4" isn't bad at all. I'd be happy with that.

I've used the 245 Spitfires on game and been fairly impressed. They don't always expand though. I am going to try the 250 SST's/shockwaves on game this year assuming I can get them to shoot again in my Omega with a sabot change. The provided sabots (shockwaves) won't group, and the provided sabots with the SST's are too tight.

Barnes spitfire

I also am going to try the Barnes spitfire this year. I talked to a Barnes tech. and he said velocity must be 1000' ft. per sec. for the .245gr. bullet and 1050' ft. per sec. for the .285gr. to expand completely.

I called Knight knowing they have had a lot of experience shooting the spitfires. The tech. there told me they were getting great accuracy and complete expansion with 100 gr. of 777, he said that he preferred the .285gr. and he was getting complete pass throughs with massive exit wounds.

IF my rifle liked the 245gr Spitfires just as well, that's probably what I'd use. I have never had a rifle that shot those the best though. I see no reason to use the 285gr Spitfire unless it is more accurate. The 285gr won't shoot as flat as the 245gr.

One consideration though. The 200gr SST/Shockwave is probably the flattest shooting bullet you can shoot out of a Triple Se7en muzzleloader. Flat shooting, accurate, and easy on the shoulder. I'm going to continue using it in my Disc Elite this year.

Chuck...How did yours shoot with the 195 Spitfire? Use it on game yet?

No, not yet. Terrell now has that Disc Elite that shot those so well! :cry:

Latest posts

Back