starting point for CVA ACCURA MR Nitride

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottprice

Reaction score
my first season hunting with an inline is upon me. I have my gun, and the BH209 breech plug. I do have FF GOEX powder that i thought about trying, but may just go with the BH209

In the interest of saving money, I'm looking for suggestions on where to start. What is a good load that you've found when shooting this gun? How about scope options? Ive never had a scope on any of my guns (irons and red dots only) so I'm new to scope shopping.

will my cleaning supplies for my flintlock be good for this too?

I use a weighed charge of BH209, 77 grains which equals 110 grains by volume under a green crush rib sabot holding a .430 [44 cal] 300 grain XTP bullet. Very, very accurate for me to 150 yards which is about my limit even with a scope, but I have no doubt that at even greater ranges this would be a good place to aim for. I've shot some 250 grain and 240 grain XTP bullets in either .430/green sabot or .452/black sabot using anywhere from 63 grains weighed [90 by volume] to the mentioned charge and did ok but the heavier charge and heavier bullet just do best in my gun. I tried the 84 grain weighed charge [120 max for the BH209] but didn't gain anything but recoil so I backed down.

There are a ton of good bullets that will fall in the same weight range as the XTPs I've been shooting so play around a little but as far as the BH209 goes I won't go back to black or any of the other subs. The charge I am at seems to be a real common charge for .50's as is 70 grains weighed [100 grains by volume] using any of the three bullet weights I mentioned. I'll be hunting that 77 grain charge[weighed] of BH209 under a 300 grain .430 XTP in my Accura V2.

scottprice said:
my first season hunting with an inline is upon me. I have my gun, and the BH209 breech plug. I do have FF GOEX powder that i thought about trying, but may just go with the BH209

In the interest of saving money, I'm looking for suggestions on where to start. What is a good load that you've found when shooting this gun? How about scope options? Ive never had a scope on any of my guns (irons and red dots only) so I'm new to scope shopping.

Congrats on your first inline.

If it were me, and I have helped setup a number of Accura rifes, I'd go directly to 110grs VOLUME of BH209, with a Barnes 290gr T-EZ bullet and magnum 209 primers. Every rifle I've helped setup has loved this charge and round.
Scopes: My choice for starting out would be either Vortex, Leupold or Nikon. More or less in that order. Buy a scope with a Lifetime Warrantee.
Cleaning: If you use BH209, you can just use regular Hoppe's to clean the rifle's barrel. No special cleaners and NO WATER.

This went right past me yesterday too....you'll need to up-grade the breech plug to one that handles the BH209 powder consistently. CVA markets one as does Western Powders, the maker of BH209.

Re: RE: Re: starting point for CVA ACCURA MR Nitride

MrTom said:
you'll need to up-grade the breech plug to one that handles the BH209 powder consistently.
Already have it as stated lol

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I saw that after I posted and re-read.

I can add that we have had some ridiculous high humidity hanging around our parts this summer along with plenty of rain, some of which has fallen while I have been at the range with the 209 and I haven't seen any moisture related hang ups with the powder. I've also shot measured/volume charges and weighed charges and the weighed changes are far more consistent and where I get my best accuracy in both the Accura rifle and the Optima pistol.

To be fair to yourself and you gun though I'd shoot the black you have and Triple 7 granular along side the 209 as you may find one of those powders that works better in the gun for you. I shot 5 other powders before settling on the 209 and that was due more to the simplicity of the powder and clean-up than accuracy issues.

I suggest that you check out the Nikon Inline Muzzleloader 3-9x 40mm scope for your Accura. I put one on my V2 and it is accurate and rugged. The MR has the 3-9x 40mm Nikon Pro Staff.

kygWFcy.jpg

I have a 3-9 Nikon Pro Staff on my Accura and love it. My Impact has the Nikon 2-7 Pro Staff and I love it too. The Nikons in the Muzzleloader series are on a couple friend's guns and they too seem to be great for them.

I'll clarify my comments on weighing the charges too. I tried the volume measure using a drop-type powder measure only to have issues with static. I also tried that usual adjustable hand measures, a couple different ones, and they worked slightly better but I found that in handling the measures after the powder was in them that any bump or tap or knock would settle the BH 209 and made me wonder about the accuracy do to that static. I finally measured out ten 100 grain measures of powder, then weighed each as they were measured, and found as much as 3.5 grains of disparity between those 10 charges. Would that make a huge difference? Doubtful. But I like to keep things as consistent as I can so I weigh every charge now.

scottprice said:
Where's the best place to buy bh209

Depends on how much you want to buy. If just a 10 oz.bottle somewhere like Cabela's. Don't buy online or you pay the ( I believe ) $22 hazmat fee. I always buy the five pound jug at somewhere like Midsouthshooterssupply. Buying this way in bulk dilutes the cost. All this talk of Nikon scopes. I have the inline xr on a Triumph and it's awsome.

I found my MR loves the .452 300 gr. XTP with a 70 gr. By weight/100 gr. By volume load. Very accurate, hits like a freight train and very inexpensive.

I just shot this 100 yd target last week with my MR. 5 shots. First time I tried this particular combination.

Cutting Edge Bullets .45 cal 250 gn Maximus
77 gn BH209(weighed)
Harvester smooth, short black sabot
CCI 209M primer

Attachments

• 20170715_122036.jpg
    20170715_122036.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 900
scottprice said:

For cleaning, if you shoot BH209 you should use solvents the same as a centerfire rifle - I like Hoppes#9 and Ballistol. If you shoot GOEX then cleanup is the same as any black powder firearm.

If legal I would mount a scope. Modern unlined like a CVA are certainly accurate enough to take advantage of magnification.

For bullet/sabot combination I would suggest a box of 300 gr Hornady .452 XTP Mag bullets combined with a couple of sample size packs of MMP sabots.

I would start with 300 gr XTP inside HPH 12 sabot and, assuming a good fit, shoot groups with 100, 105 and 110 gr of BH209. If the fit is poor try a different sabot, or if the grouping is off try a different sabot.

This combination might not be the most accuracy possible from your rifle, but I think you would find a load that delivered good hunting accuracy.

Is it better to buy sabots/bullets separately?

scottprice said:

IMO, yes. I find XTP bullets packaged as reloading components at 100 to a box are cheaper per bullet than bullets packaged with sabots as muzzleloader specific loads.

I like buying my sabots separately so I can match sabot to bullet for best performance.

scottprice said:

While it is certainly possible to find a prepackaged/bullet sabot combination that is acceptably accurate, you have much more flexibility using separate components. As Tannhauser pointed out, using separate components is cheaper and may allow you to find a more accurate combination than prepackaged bullets/sabots. Also, you can use bullets that do not come prepackaged. For instance, the 265 gn and 325 gn Hornady FTX bullets are some of the most accurate bullets I have shot from my CVA rifles and are not sold prepackaged with sabots for a .50 cal. On a side note, you will find that Harvester Crush Rib sabots are quite popular, however, all 3 of the current production CVA rifles that I own are generally more accurate with Harvester or MMP smooth sabots.

Where is the best place to buy muzzleloading supplies? It seems as though most big-box stores only carry certain brands like they have some kind of contract with manufacturers

scottprice said:
Where is the best place to buy muzzleloading supplies? It seems as though most big-box stores only carry certain brands like they have some kind of contract with manufacturers

Midsouthshooterssupply and Muzzle-Loaders.com are the two places I usually buy from. Muzzle-Loaders.com almost always has best price on guns. I must agree about the FTX bullets. The 265 grn 44 cal is one of the best groups I can get with my Knight Vision.

Latest posts

Back