Starting Sabotless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james 14

Reaction score
I've been wanting to try this for a while but have never bitten the proverbial bullet. I have some 300gr XTP mags and they fit so I'm going to start with them. Un-knurled they slide, more like skip, down the barrel. When I knurled them between two cross-cut coarse bastard files they go down with a bit more resistance but it's still not super hard. Fortunately, the tightest part is in the bottom where the bullet would sit on the powder. Should I try to knurl them up tighter? I would need something more coarse...which I can get fairly easily for about $8 at Home Depot.

I have about 75 wonder wads and I also have some unneeded tan sabots that I could cut the petals off of. Would one be better than the other? If I don't have to cut up the sabots I would rather not. I guess the easy answer is to try both and see how they work.

I'm planning to use BH209 and start with 120gr by volume.

Am I missing anything here?

You will want a snug fit.
Be careful with cheap files they will chip and leave steel in bullets which will wreck your barrel.

It works great but buy quality files.
I have best luck using veggie wads .
Also if you dont clean between shots bullets will get much tighter due to fouling.
I personally clean between shots for best consistency loading.

james 14 said:
I've been wanting to try this for a while but have never bitten the proverbial bullet. I have some 300gr XTP mags and they fit so I'm going to start with them. Un-knurled they slide, more like skip, down the barrel. When I knurled them between two cross-cut coarse bastard files they go down with a bit more resistance but it's still not super hard. Fortunately, the tightest part is in the bottom where the bullet would sit on the powder. Should I try to knurl them up tighter? I would need something more coarse...which I can get fairly easily for about $8 at Home Depot.

I have about 75 wonder wads and I also have some unneeded tan sabots that I could cut the petals off of. Would one be better than the other? If I don't have to cut up the sabots I would rather not. I guess the easy answer is to try both and see how they work.

I'm planning to use BH209 and start with 120gr by volume.

Am I missing anything here?

I have been doing a lot of sabotless shooting in the last couple of years and I started much as you did wondering.

I certainly am not in the class that Jeff is (Bestill) but I have found out some thing along the way... If you are shooting a regular rifle bullet and in my case I am shooting a lot of Lehigh solid brass or Barnes solid copper bullets. These bullets will NOT obturate to the bore of the barrel so some sort of gas seal is needed. With a 50 cal. rifle I really prefer a MMP Sub-Base under the bullet. I have also used a fiber shot card from Track of the Wolf - it is (.510x.125) and works very well as a gas seal. When shooting a 45 since there is not a sub-base available I do use a Shot Card in that caliber 100%

When I started this process I talked to Lehigh Dave about how tight I need to get the bullet. He directed to a bullet maker named Lutz Moeller who makes bullets that just ride the lands of the bore. After reading some of his thoughts and Dave Sharing his - I have discovered that bullet does not have to be that tight. As long as it rides the lands of the bore. all the way down the bore. The only thing I can tell you is that I am loading bullets that move down the bore easier than a normal sabot load. And I am getting very good accuracy.

One thing that Bestill mention - make sure you get quality files.

I have posted several threads on here about sabotless shooting - you might do a site search for sabotless shooting with sabotloader as the author.

Here is one of the later threads

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27207&p=209566&hilit=sabotless#p209566

Found another one...

A couple of forum members asked me how do I go about knurling bullets. It is really not very scientific - it just works for me.

I have been knurling bullets for the last couple years just using a couple of files to increase the diameter of a given bullet to allow it to load full in my ML's.

It all actually started with 0.5045 Bull Shop lead conicals that I was trying to use in my White Ultra-Mag. In my rifle I was a uncomfortable with the ease that they loaded and I worried about that heavy bullet possibly falling off the powder in the bore. The simple solution was to make the OD of the bullet slightly larger than it was. After asking some questions on different forums - I was told the easy answer is 'knurl' them between to files to create a lift in diameter by displacing some of the lead material. Running the bullets between two course files created the lift I needed. Knurling lead was really easy and best of all it was very forgiving. Even when I got to great of a lift loading pushing the soft lead through the crown was not a problem at all. Then the ignition of the powder would cause the soft lead bullet to obturate even more to the bore.

A few years ago in an attempt to shoot bull bore copper/lead bullets in the 50 became an interest. With the advent of the Desert Eagle and other newer 50 cal. weapons the availability of quality 50 cal. bullets became even greater. And there were some really good 50 cal. bullets on the market. Recently I have re-newed my interest and stated with Speer 50 cal. 300 grain deep curls. After that effort I turned to Barnes XPB pistol bullets. These all copper bullets required me to change files to a mill file to get a more even knurl and then with the Lehigh brass bullet I then changed to a General Purpose flat file that a bit more aggressive than the General Purpose Mill file.

This was the Mill file that I am using for Copper-lead or copper bullets to create the lift.

To get the lift needed on the harder brass bullets I changed to a slightly more course file using a General Purpose Flat file

How much lift do really need? that really depends on the size of your bore and the bullet you choose to use in it. I would suggest to you that the bullet does not have to fit as tight as you might think to achieve stabilization and accuracy.

When I talked to Lehigh Dave about this project he suggested the a gentleman along time ago produced bullet that were called 'bore riders' they made very little contact with the bore and were extremely accurate. You might do a search for Lutz Moeller and look at his bullet offerings.

Using his general thoughts I knurl the Barnes and Lehigh to work pretty much on his principles. I do add a MMP Ballistic Sub-Bridge under the bullet (essentially a wad) to trap the gas behind the bullet. For myself the sub-bridge or sub-base provides a more positive gas seal than a wool wad or even a shot card might especially against the physical heat created by T7 or BH.

so how do I do it...

I place a piece of leather on a countertop and the file on top of the leather. The leather holds the bottom file in place. Then place the bullet to be knurled on the bottom file and the second file on top of the bullet.

Then with heavy pressure applied to both ends of the top file I roll the bullet between the two files. The pressure displaces copper or brass creating a lift on the surface of the bullet.

These are Lehigh's that have undergone the lifting process.

How many times you roll the bullet depends on the amount of lift you need. Stand the rifle by you knurling station. Remove the breech plug and drop the new bullet through. If it passes through rapidly to may need a lot of lift requiring more rolling. my suggestion is roll the bullet 3-4" on the files once and test it in the bore. You want enough lift that it will not pass through the crown of the bore.

When placing the bullet on the bottom file place it so the heel of bullet does not get knurled.

Place the top file on the bullet again with the heel extended out from between the files.

Leaving the heel clean will allow you to set the bullet in the crown of the bore and make it easier to push down either with a short starter or you ram rod. I believe it is very important to have knurling close to the heel of the bullet and all the way across the ogive of the bullet so that it goes down the bore evenly. This extend knurl will also insure the grip on the lands of the bore. And again heavy loading pressure is not needed for stabilization.

Place both hands on the top file and apply a heavy downward pressure on the bullet and roll it forward between the two files. Check the bullet in the crown and repeat the process until the needed amount of lift is achieved.

This bullet was rolled 3 times and placed in the crown it stopped going down at the knurling and is ready to be pushed through the crown,

I would also suggest you do not to do many bullets until you are actually able to check the bullet by pushing it all the way through the bore.

Also I would start with copper bullets as they are more forgiving and will allow you to push a heavily knurled bullet through the bore especially with the aid of a short starter to get it through the crown.

Hope this helps some who might try this process.

When you are rolling the bullet with the files do you go in one direction only or do you go back and forth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PtMD989 said:
When you are rolling the bullet with the files do you go in one direction only or do you go back and forth?

I do run them back and forth - which imprints an X pattern of knurling on the bullets.

With each different rifle and/or bullet it might take a different amount of rolling to get them to fit correctly? I try to maintain the same heavy pressure on all rolls. I only use a short roll of 2-3" and roll back the same amount. After one roll back and forth I try the bullet to see if it stops at the knurling as it sets in the crown. Normally it takes 3-4 complete rolls to increase the diameter of the bullet so it fits my bore. When you have rolled one to your satisfaction push it through the bore and out the breech to see if it feels good to you. If it is good then repeat the rolling process on the next bullet. Once you get the hang of it - it goes pretty good.

There are much better ways to do this but you need the equipment... To expensive for the little that I do.

http://corbins.com/hct-2.htm

hct-2.jpg

Another group of pics...

Composite.jpg

Thanks for the great information. This site is great.

Wow that's a lot of info. Thank you for that.

It seems I'm getting the right fit. (Shooting a 45 cal BTW) The un-knurled .452 XTP catches in the bore about 3 inches down and again throughout the final third. When I knurled the bullet it catches right after the QLA and rides the lands all the way with it being fairly firm in the final third. It's not difficult to get down but it's certainly not "going down with 2 fingers" like I've read about in some of my searches on the subject.

I can certainly try to get ahold of some veggie wads or shot cards before I try this at the range. Is it not a good idea to try and cut the petals off of a few sabots to use as a sub-base? I have the wonder wads as well but I'm not sure they're going to provide as tight of a seal...especially using BH209. That initial resistance of a tight wad or sub-base seems like it will provide the best obturation and potentially the best velocity.

Ultimately my goal is to be able to find an acceptable option for shots on deer out to 200 yards. I can do that now with the 200gr SST...BUT...the wait time between shots is prohibitive to my range sessions as is my lack of access to a 200 yard range. I can get to a 100 yard range fairly easily and if I can nail down a solid load or two I can eventually get to where I can test it at 200 yards. I will also test the 250 SST in .452 since I know I can get it to fit. What I'm not sure of is how easily it will be to get some of the .451 bullets to fit. I may have to use a more aggressive file or rasp. I'd really like to try the Barnes Original in 300gr but that is a .458 and I'm not ready to buy a press and sizing dies.

EDIT - After testing a sabot with the petals cut off it's actually looser than the wonder wad. I'm sure it'll obturate under the weight of the bullet but I can see how there might be a better option. I'll be on the lookout for the veggie wads or shot cards.

Many times removing qla and having it crowned will gain accuracy

sabotloader said:
Barnes solid copper bullets. These bullets will NOT obturate to the bore of the barrel so some sort of gas seal is needed.

Barnes bullets are annealed from the factory (so I've read) and will obturate but they need a good shove to get them to do so. I shot some this morning and pulled a few from the backstop. Rifling was present on all.

100yds
Knight .45 Elite 1:30 twist
120gr BH209
.060 veggie wad
W209 primer
250gr Barnes TEZ, medium knurl, not sized with a die, straight from the package
5 shot group, not too bad at 1.5" but I would probably stick to my other load with sabots, the veggie wads shot better than my homemade sub bases that I used the first time I tried sabotless out of the Knight
IMG_8976_zpsqbicpblb.jpg

Rifling marks from the Knight Elite
IMG_8984_zps6xm6dtzg.jpg

Previous range trip with everything the same except a 45 cal. sabot was used with the petals cut off
Copyof250tezsabotless_zpsb38e7d92.jpg

What surprised me was when I shot one 250gr Hornady SST. This bullet was sized loose when I was experimenting with my new Swinglock sizing die a while back. I put a heavy knurl on it but it still slid fairly easy down the bore. It impacted a different target a foot to the left of my aiming point. Virtually no rifling marks are present.
IMG_8979_zpssypgponb.jpg

This bullet was shot out of my daughters custom smokeless .45 Rem 700ML. I was working on a lighter recoiling sabotless load for this coming fall. Again, this is a custom rifle with a smokeless powder barrel on it so please do not read this as smokeless powder shot from a factory Rem 700ML.
This bullet wasn't shot much faster than the one's out of the Knight rifle but the initial kick I'm sure is more.
250gr20TEZ2010gr20N1102040gr20IMR4189_zps0hduxfjq.jpg

Latest posts

Back