States than did away with “shotgun zones”?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 15yrs ago Wisconsin started doing away with some shotgun areas. There was no rise in accidents. About 8 yrs ago Wisconsin decided to make all rifles legal. There has been a decline in hunting accidents since then , especially stray bullets hitting people . The most dangerous is loading and unloading, it seems. I wonder if a 12 ga. shotgun slug, 365 gr. is more dangerous than a 100 gr. .243 cal. It has 70%? less lead flying, we know that . Part of the reason there is less accidental shootings is cause there are about 10% less hunters, but , there are 30%? less accidents. It likely is that perhaps hunters know they have a rifle and are more careful. I imagine , many out there say " it's just a shotgun, doesnt go that far" . Yes, it does go a long ways.

I also suspect the decline in hunter accidents may be the changes in hunting methods. The treestand seems to be the dominant method in this day and age. I recall in the past that more hunters pounded the ground so your shots would be level vs a treestand shot being at a slight downward angle.

Here in Ohio we can now shoot straight wall rifles above certain sizes. I do not know what are stats are for accidents and hunters but would agree that there are more fixed and enclosed deer stands now than 20 years ago. Also deer drives in my area are almost a thing of the past.

Here in Ohio we can now shoot straight wall rifles above certain sizes. I do not know what are stats are for accidents and hunters but would agree that there are more fixed and enclosed deer stands now than 20 years ago. Also deer drives in my area are almost a thing of the past.

I'll agree on that. Although manned drives with hunters using shotguns and buckshot are still conducted near the coastal regions of Massachusetts. The land in and around the coast is very brushy for a lack of a better term. Lots of scrub oak and scrub pine. I hate to say it but accidents are very rare but when it does happen it is usually along this area.

Also deer drives in my area are almost a thing of the past.
After a few near miss incidents my friends and i no longer do deer drives. It often got us a couple late season deer but we had access to a lot of different property then that we dont anymore. When you are the shooter you just blaze away at whatever deer came running out. When youre a driver you better hit the ground when shooting starts. They could be going anywhere. I dont know any landowners that even allow drives now.

Ive never killed a deer with anything other than a bow, but I guess everyones needs could be different. Here in Southeast Texas usually my shots are from 12yds or so.

We used to use bows and dogs, was a lot of fun, but now that I’m older I can see how we pressured the deer out of certain areas.

Latest posts

Back