Stock finish on a Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhunterken

Reaction score
I have just come into possession of a Maple Stocked Hawken by T/C. It is in need of some TLC and I would like to brighten up the stock as it's looking kind of dull. Can anyone tell me what finish T/C used on their Hawken sidelock rifles??

There was varnish on some I’ve fooled with. To redo I stripped with chemical stripper then sanded from 80 grit thru 1000 while wetting with minwax. Pain in the ass but after hand rubbing with minwax They 89ACFEA1-8296-4A02-A03F-2243383BECAC.png8E6ADDCB-6F2A-4AD8-ABA1-0BECAB48D00F.pngcame out great

I thank all who have replied,but we're going off topic. To refresh, I'm not looking for information on refinishing the stock. I'm trying to asertain what T/C might use as an original finish on a Maple stock Hawken.I have considerable experience on refinishing walnut stocks, but have never worked on a Maple Stocked rifle. Don't really want to strip it, just a light sanding and touch up. Just trying to get information on what the original finish might be.

I thank all who have replied,but we're going off topic. To refresh, I'm not looking for information on refinishing the stock. I'm trying to asertain what T/C might use as an original finish on a Maple stock Hawken.I have considerable experience on refinishing walnut stocks, but have never worked on a Maple Stocked rifle. Don't really want to strip it, just a light sanding and touch up. Just trying to get information on what the original finish might be.
Boiled linseed oil is for stock maintenance as well as a new finish I use it on my stocks once or twice a year they look brand new you can put it on all metal parts as well no problem so I guess we're back on track ? Lol

I forgot to mention I just recently used boiled linseed oil on a muzzleloader that was on a wall for about 15 years untouched it worked great !

I was not aware that TC ever sold a Hawken with a maple stock. I would like to see a photo. Not sure of the finish used by TC on their Hawkens but have stripped and refinished one previously and could not identify the type of finish. I am sure it was a sprayed on finish that dried somewhat matte but wore with a more gloss patina.

Bill

Yeah Bill, it was a custom ordered rifle, not sure how many were made. Anyway, for your viewing pleasure.

Unfortunately, the previous owner did not take care of it well at all. When I got back home to go over it, it looked like the bore was never cleaned. The barrel took 3 days of cleaning up with bronze brushes, JB compound and very aggressive cleaning practices. To say that the bore is pitted would be an understatement. I'm looking to replace the barrel with another .50 cal. but have yet to find one.

Nice. Thanks for the photo and too bad on the barrel. Ebay usually has 50 cal Hawken barrels but finding one cheap and in good condition is the hard part. I have a 50 cal barrel but it is for the limited edition Cougar Hawken. the same as yours but has Cougar on the barrel.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the previous owner did not take care of it well at all. When I got back home to go over it, it looked like the bore was never cleaned. The barrel took 3 days of cleaning up with bronze brushes, JB compound and very aggressive cleaning practices. To say that the bore is pitted would be an understatement. I'm looking to replace the barrel with another .50 cal. but have yet to find one.
Long story in other posts, but Bobby Hoyt turned my tomato stake .50 caliber TC barrel into a .54 cal.

How about a 1-32 twist for shooting conicals. Mr. Hoyt rebored a 50 cal barrel to a 52 cal. for me. I shot paper patched bullets. Something different for sure. If you are a caster there are plenty of mold options.

How about a 1-32 twist for shooting conicals. Mr. Hoyt rebored a 50 cal barrel to a 52 cal. for me. I shot paper patched bullets. Something different for sure. If you are a caster there are plenty of mold options.
That's a good thought, I've been toying with that very idea, thanks to Idaho Lewis's threads.

Latest posts

Back