Stock repair

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay beings we don’t have a weapon repair or gun smithing forum….

I have a stock that had 2” cut off of it. I’m having a hard time finding a replacement stock for this gun. It is laminate if that matters, Has anyone ever successfully reattached one that was cut?

I was thinking of pinning with maybe an old carbon arrow (cutting 2” piece) in a couple spots with a good wood epoxy, thoughts?

Do you have the old cut off or are you thinking of adding piece? Would a thick recoil pad give you enough length?

I think it should work. I'd make it a totally different color, like solid black or something dark like that. Then you don't have to worry about hiding the repair or anything. I think it would look badass and would make it totally unique

Yes, drill through it, glue
some dowels, and glue the piece back on, there's lots of excellant construction adhesives out there, it should line up OK and look good like that, or, like said above, paint the end piece black, that will hide any imperfections and look good

It generally is not so easy to just glue it back on. I have seen quite a few of this type of repair, and generally they look poor. The reason for this is usually laziness or ignorance on the part of the person doing the repair. Before you begin, you should make sure the stock and piece are square and true to one another. That will be your biggest hurdle.

The first thing to look for after determining the pieces are square to one another is little splintered edges along the cut on both the stock and the piece. If there are none you will have less sanding to do. The second thing to do is attach the piece with tape to get an idea of fit. You will probably find there is a raised ridge around the one of pieces where it meets the other. To get a good fit and appearance, this area will have to be blended into the stock.

Securely glue, tape, or some how make a temporary attachment of the piece being replaced exactly how you want it. Then drill through the piece into the stock. This will allow you to dowel it exactly how you want it. The dowels will be covered by the recoil pad or butt plate. Remove the piece, apply waterproof glue, acraglas or whatever you decide is best. drive the dowels in. Clean up an excess glue. Let thoroughly dry.

Now blend the two pieces together. You may have to feather the joint out for several inches. Refinish the stock. Done well, the joint should visible but not horrible.

I have seen a homemade leather covered recoil pad that extended quite a ways up the stock. Any chance you could make something like that to cover up the joint area? The glue/dowel job would then not have to be so perfect?
The one I saw was stitched up along the bottom and went up a good 4 inches. Actually looked quite nice.
I think I saw it at a Rendezvous a while back, looked kind of traditional and would certainly hide the add-on.

Last edited:
One problem will be the "kerf" (width of the sawblade) used to cut off the soon-to-be replaced piece. That bit of wood is gone. Probably not much, but enough that it will not match perfectly with the other portion of the stock. Bandsaw - not that big of a deal. The wider the blade, the larger the kerf.

Now ...if you replace the stock, save the cut-off stock ...grandkids will thank you.

Back