stop on ramrod....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBAhunter

Reaction score
Is anyone using one to keep bullet from being pushed into the powder chamber?

He’s using smokeless powder.

I was wondering if they were some that maybe were using a ramrod stop to seat the bullet to a specific spot. (start of the rifling).You could treat it like a cartridge gun, using powders that filled the chamber maybe 90% or more. Just me thinking....

Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but how firmly does one seat bore riding bullets, or saboted bullets over smokeless powders?

Just trying to learn something new.

Bruce

Most of those which have chambers to worry about are intentional builds with a known charge and bullet, and that the bullet can't enter the chamber.
Aren't the chambers smaller in diameter than the bore/bullet?

In a properly designed Henry/Manton/Nock flint breech plug, the anti-chamber must be smaller in diameter by a good bit in order not to have a cleaning jag get stuck in it. For example, a .45 caliber bore with a groove diameter of 0.482" (0.016" deep grooves) would usually have an anti-chamber measuring about 0.3125" in diameter. The mouth of the powder chamber would then be countersunk/beveled so that it matched the groove diameter of the barrel.

The same principal would be true for a percussion patent breech plug.

Excuse me if this is a stupid question, but how firmly does one seat bore riding bullets, or saboted bullets over smokeless powders?

Just trying to learn something new.

Bruce
Seat it secure. Two hands at times, other times a single hand with a "thump".
I'd have to go back and look but, I believe when I did the force testing I seated bullets at 30# using a force gauge.

Aren't the chambers smaller in diameter than the bore/bullet?

It would depend on the size of the original chamber. I believe there's some information over on Hank's.

Yes There is a limited amount of info on Hanks, I had the same thought and that was the only place I found anyone talking about it, unfortunately the guys doing are no longer posting there, I'm not sure what happened to them.

Latest posts

Back