Straighter recoil movement

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
I purchased a bunch of bullets from a fella that is an excellent shot, but shoots smokeless. During our conversation, he gave me a tip for helping the rifle to recoil straighter back. Now all should know that regardless the shooting position used, the straighter the rifle recoils, its a benefit to tighter groups. His tip was to use a piece of satin cloth on both is front and rear rests. He told me that the satin frays badly and must be sewn on all edges. Also that there the two sides of the satin are different, one being glossy while the other side more dull. He said that the dull side was more slippery. Its very light weight and he holds it on his rests with rubber bands so the wind doesn't blow them away.

Well it got the best of me, so I had the wife pick up a yard when she was in town at JoAnn's. Now I can sew a hole closed or a button on, but beyond that, I got nothing. Then I got to thinking about the rubber bands and though it would be really nice if they could be made with elastic to hold them in place. I guess the wife took pity on me, so she offered to try. Now it became a challenge to her and of course women want things to be perfect, where I just wanted it to function. As a smart married man, I stayed completely out of the room.
It took her most of the day to be satisfied, but I was happier than heck when she finished. She doesn't like the bunching look, but it must be there to allow the rifle to lay properly in the rest detents. I'm more than satisfied, I'm pretty darn happy with them.

So.... the retired Ergonomist came out in me and I had to actually verify if the satin made a difference and what that difference would be. So I got out the force equipment. I laid the rifle (11.3#) on the rests, then with the force gage measured the actual force it took to move the rifle through the rests on top the satin. The result are:

WITH the satin......... movement was 5#

WITHOUT the satin.... movement was 11#

There is absolutely zero doubt that the satin will help the rifle recoil straighter back and easier. IMO if it tightens a group .125" its worth it.

IMG_1212.jpg

Lingerie for sandbags, I love it. I'm sure there's a joke waiting to be told there, but I'm not going there. :nono:
I can just see trying to explain to my wife, that the ladies underwear in my truck is something I bought so I could have a more slippery shooting rest.
Seriously though, let us know how it goes. If it's goofy and it works, it's not goofy.

Sitting here with nothing to do but think of smart a$$ed replies to this, I'll ask.....

If your test gun weighs in at #11 plus and your test rendered this result:

Does this imply that the recoil will be twice as much?

MrTom said:
Sitting here with nothing to do but think of smart a$$ed replies to this, I'll ask.....

If your test gun weighs in at #11 plus and your test rendered this result:

Does this imply that the recoil will be twice as much?

No. The recoil will remain the same.

In thinking about this satin covering concept, I sort of like the idea especially when its warm outside and stocks on rests seem tacky. The satin may facilitate some of those little movements to get set "just so" prior to the shot as well as allowing the gun to recoil more straight back. In theory it all makes perfect sense and I think I'll dig in Ma's fabric boxes to see if she has some a boy can play with.

MrTom said:
In thinking about this satin covering concept, I sort of like the idea especially when its warm outside and stocks on rests seem tacky. The satin may facilitate some of those little movements to get set "just so" prior to the shot as well as allowing the gun to recoil more straight back. In theory it all makes perfect sense and I think I'll dig in Ma's fabric boxes to see if she has some a boy can play with.

Its actually quite astonishing the difference the satin makes on the rests. When I first tried it, she had just finished the front rest cover. I put the rest on my bench top, which is covered in extra vinyl flooring from building the house. I rested the rifle's forearm on the rest without the satin and with my fingers on the butt stock, attempted to slide it. It moved the entire front rest across the bench.
Then I put the satin cover over the front rest and repeated the process. The rifle would slide with just two fingers on the butt stock and the rest never moved on the vinyl bench top. It really made a difference on my rear Protecktor bag after she got that cover made.

I'm thinking that it might be better to head to a fabric store and pick up a yard, than to get caught rummaging through the wife's drawers :lol:

When I started shooting Benchrest competition at Registered IBS and NBRSA matches we used to shoot with Leather rear bags and leather front bags on the machine rest top. Then put a coat of baby powder or Suave Powdered deodorant spray on them. The next evolution of bags that came out had the front bag and ears on the rear bag made of Cordura ballistic cloth. We sprayed a very light film of silicon on those. In both cases we also had Teflon tape on the forend and on the bottom heal of the butt stock. At a couple of the ranges the targets are at a slight uphill angle. You set your rifle in the rest/bag and it just slid right back out! :shock: :D Several makers of these type bags now.

http://protektormodel.com/index.php?mai ... ex&cPath=1

Attachments

• rest bags.jpg
    rest bags.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 1,776
ShawnT said:
When I started shooting Benchrest competition at Registered IBS and NBRSA matches we used to shoot with Leather rear bags and leather front bags on the machine rest top. Then put a coat of baby powder or Suave Powdered deodorant spray on them. The next evolution of bags that came out had the front bag and ears on the rear bag made of Cordura ballistic cloth. We sprayed a very light film of silicon on those. In both cases we also had Teflon tape on the forend and on the bottom heal of the butt stock. At a couple of the ranges the targets are at a slight uphill angle. You set your rifle in the rest/bag and it just slid right back out! :shock: :D Several makers of these type bags now.

http://protektormodel.com/index.php?mai ... ex&cPath=1

Great for guys buying new bags :yeah:

Ever check how much force it took to move them with the rifle level?

Yea the satin should be great on bags you already have. No Never though about measuring it.

Okay, I'll admit it. I was beginning to think someone was playing a joke on Encore50.
"Hey, Bob, I'll bet you $5 I can get this guy to wrap his sandbags in lingerie..." :lol:
But ShawnT's link to that website looks legit, and now I want some fancy sandbags.

My posting the picture above was just to support what Encore50A had posted. Probably should have posted that a bit different. He was told about satin cloth which would be a great way to "slick up" a traditional leather bag or even laid over the old fashion Shot Bags most of us have used. I have also used some Felts, but I like the idea of the satin cloth much better.

Yes it is Legit. Protektor has used Cordura for many years now. Below is a set of my bags. The one on the left fits on the top of my Hart rest. It is for flat bottom stocks, in my case I have a "Hunter Class" (2 1/4" wide) stock that I use with this bag. Somewhere I still have one or 2 for 3" wide Light and Heavy Varmint class rifles. When you shoot in true Benchrest matches you will see about anything in the world tested to try to get an "edge" over the next guy. I even got to sit behind a rifle with the then Prototype Leupold 45X Benchrest Target scope that was on top of a competitors rifle. He was working directly with, testing and providing feedback to Leupold on them.

WE1ugPT.jpg

A lot of the less expensive bags are now made of cordura. In the last couple years some of the makers of high end bags have found a newer material that I just hear called "Super Slick cloth" but not real sure what it is made of. You can see those in stock at Midway under Protektor. The cloth on those is silver in color.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLocat ... sPerPage=0

If you got a few$$ and you want a real High end bag look at the Edgewood bags, they are one of the Cadillac's of bags.

"If you got a few$$ and you want a real High end bag look at the Edgewood bags, they are one of the Cadillac's of bags."....Shawn

Look was all I could afford. I guess I'll rob Ma's dresser.

MrTom said:
"If you got a few$$ and you want a real High end bag look at the Edgewood bags, they are one of the Cadillac's of bags."....Shawn

Look was all I could afford. I guess I'll rob Ma's dresser.
I don't have one either bit rich for my wallet too. I don't drive a Cadillac either. My Protektor's and my old Bald Eagle is good enough for me. :wink:

Was the guy name (Russel) ? That told you about this trick ? I have a friend that does this exact same trick . It really does make a difference .

I have different bags and rest . My leather Protector bags I coat with corn starch or Baby powder.
Some of my Protector bags have slick silver material much like silk.
I'm with a previous person that posted Edgewood makes the best bags and rest . I have a friend that uses Edgewood products they seem to be the best when dealing with shooting rest. They seem to fit the shooting rest the best and Edgewood front and rear rest seem to hold their shape much better than other rest.

Dougs136Schwartz said:
Was the guy name (Russel) ? That told you about this trick ? I have a friend that does this exact same trick . It really does make a difference .

I have different bags and rest . My leather Protector bags I coat with corn starch or Baby powder.
Some of my Protector bags have slick silver material much like silk.
I'm with a previous person that posted Edgewood makes the best bags and rest . I have a friend that uses Edgewood products they seem to be the best when dealing with shooting rest. They seem to fit the shooting rest the best and Edgewood front and rear rest seem to hold their shape much better than other rest.

:yeah: He's a pretty darn good shot isn't he?

I'll bet you'll stop dumping starch and powder all over if you start using the satin.
I haven't had a single chance to shoot off mine. Not been a great 1.5 years medically.

I will be shooting something, as soon as the cankerworms stop falling. BILLIONS IF NOT TRILLIONS of them. Living in the middle of a forest of oaks doesn't help. Honestly, I have no clue how a bird can fly through all the webs. Worst year ever for these things.
I've loaded up a couple hundred .450 Bushmaster rounds I can try, plus I need to shoot up the T7 I have before Luke gets the new breech plugs ready.
Try that satin Doug.

I will. Russel showed me that trick a year ago . Russel has some pretty good ideas. He also built a wooden plate to mount on the bottom of his stock . The wooden plate he made . He used pieces of half round as rails . It works very good. Russel is a great guy .

I sure hope your health comes around ! We need to get you out and shooting again . Cant wait to see what you can do with the Ultimate ,sabots and Blackhorn 209 with the new plug!

Back