strange things that work

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read a post in TNDeer by a University of Auburn biologist that did deer studies for many years and he would make mock scrapes in front of his cameras. I have been making mock scrapes and peeing in them for several years. Have seen it work many times. Deer refreshing the scrape at night but also had a small four point make another scrape right by my mock scrape. Peeing out of stand has never seemed to bother the deer at all.

I have a book here on Whitetail, Larry Weishuhn, Known by many as “Mr Whitetail” Pees in Existing Buck Scrapes, he SWEARS it Works, I don’t Doubt him a Bit.

@MrTom - How in the hell did you discover that little trick!?!? That is the goofiest/cleverest trick I've ever read?

I await the story, breathless with anticipation....View attachment 11690

Years ago an old timer bow hunter mentioned it to me. I shook my head but he said to try it so I did on a few does and the bell turned about 50% of the deer into seekers. I tried it on young and small bucks and it still drew about 50% of the deer. About ten years ago I tried when I had an 11 point that seemed intent on just passing straight thru without stopping and it turned him around like someone took over his steering system. Another little jingle at 20 yards stopped him dead in his tracks....the short piece of mono wrapped around my middle finger on the holding hand worked fine and didn't interfere with the trigger squeeze. He ate just fine.

I've played with different sized small bells during the summer months for several years. I settled on the current 1/2" high bell. Its sound is almost discernable when gently rung and from up in a stand the sound just doesn't come off as directional. Because it is such a high pitched ring I think a deer's hearing may not be the best at picking out high pitched sounds especially if they do not appear to come from a specific direction or location. All of the deer I have been able to turn with bells seem to be quite curious. I haven't had any but one turn with a partially raised tail and none using a foot stomp and none doing the head bob.

The grandson is currently carrying it in his bow hunting gear for the late season. He's also carrying one of those collapsible shovels. When he's done with the bell I'll get a picture and post it.

one trick that Ive used alot of times is to take a piece of clothe,put a liberal amount of tinks on it and use a 10 foot long cord and brag it behind me to my stand,have killed quite a few with this trick and even a few coyotes,in fact the one that is hanging on my wall as I type this,I was getting out of my stand when I seen him crossing the field he came up to my drag mark turned and came right stright at me,he's looking at me now.

The one I have I found in a box of kids toy junk at a garage sale marked "free". We he an antique business for years and went to lots of garage sales and estate sales. You don't find too many bells this small anywhere, anymore but they are around.

The one I have is a cheap little thing, maybe 1/2"-5/8" high. Real high pitched tingle. I hunt from an elevated stand/tree house with side walls up to about 42". I ring the bell below the tops of the walls and only a couple jingles. The walls and roof really diffuses the sound and really makes deer curious. The loop of monofilament line allows me to hook the bell on a finger of gun holding hand if I need to give another little jiggle while I am sighted on a deer without any discernable movement on my part.

@jcnull2305
You may be able to find a small bell that is similar by looking around in fishing supplies. Many night fisherman for catfish will attach a small bell to the tip of their pole rather than a glow stick.

@jcnull2305
You may be able to find a small bell that is similar by looking around in fishing supplies. Many night fisherman for catfish will attach a small bell to the tip of their pole rather than a glow stick.

This reminds me of something funny :) It sure wasn’t at the time though! LOL

When i was a little Kid (maybe 6-7 years old?) My School class went on a Field Trip, We actually went on a Fishing Trip! Anyway, My Grandfather had bought me this REALLY COOL little Copper colored Bell that Attached to the Tip of the Pole, Designed to be attached AFTER you had Casted (That part is important here :D) Anyway, I couldn’t wait to Show off my New Bell To all of my Class mates, And of course get to use it for the 1st time, Here it goes......... My very first cast, I attached my new little Bell to the Tip of my Pole, Hauled back and Casted as hard as i could, We all watched my Shiny little bell LAUNCH to about the Middle of the Lake, It was GONE forever, But not Forgotten:roll:

My uncle always considered them to be disposable. He would attach them to the tip with a swivel, but never closed the swivel because he didn't like reeling in a fish with it still on there. When a catfish would hit, he would set the hook and that little bell would go flying backwards off into the darkness never to be seen again.

For years I have carried a tiny bell in one of my pack's outside pockets. Its about 1/2" high on a piece of fishing line. I'll give that little bell a ring, not hard, just a single jingle and its amazing how many deer will turn and come in and try to locate that sound. Seldom are the tails raised or is there any stomping or head bobbing.
Hey Tom,
Didn't you get the memo from Santa? He said not to shoot the deer that respond to jingle bells. They could be possible candidates for his fleet. ;)

When i was a little Kid (maybe 6-7 years old?) My School class went on a Field Trip, We actually went on a Fishing Trip! Anyway, My Grandfather had bought me this REALLY COOL little Copper colored Bell that Attached to the Tip of the Pole, Designed to be attached AFTER you had Casted (That part is important here :D) Anyway, I couldn’t wait to Show off my New Bell To all of my Class mates, And of course get to use it for the 1st time, Here it goes......... My very first cast, I attached my new little Bell to the Tip of my Pole, Hauled back and Casted as hard as i could, We all watched my Shiny little bell LAUNCH to about the Middle of the Lake, It was GONE forever, But not Forgotten:roll:
That reminds me of the time I went fishing in a small rowboat on a lake with my two brothers. My youngest brother never did much fishing before. Anyway, he shows up with his new pole and reel and in his first cast managed to loose his grip and his brand new rod and reel went to the bottom of the lake. :roll: We still laugh about it today.

This really works, if you get a buck during rut, with the black stinky hock glands ( tarsal ).
Cut the black oily hair from them ( wear rubber gloves ). Then melt a jar of Vaseline , melts easily, and the pot cleans right. Put the tarsal gland hair in the now empty Vaseline jar, and poor the melted Vaseline over it. Mix it up, cap it. If you find a buck scrape in your hunting area, or even make one, dip a twig in your now stinky Vaseline, and place it in the center of the scrape..It must pi$$ them off thinking a unknown buck has moved in. They'll tear the place up. Jar lasts for ever...

Guess you started (LONG RANGE) at a tender age ! /Ed

Ask someone into "crafting" where they'd go for wreath/seasonal decorations supplies. Those little bells are all over Christmas wreaths, and holiday, table decorations. We have a couple of fabric stores my wife likes to visit; it's too bad I had not read this before last week...tho I was able to swing through a favorite gun store haunt on the way home and picked up ammo, another can of powder, and a TC G2 that was just thrilled to be adopted!

Latest posts

Back