Stripping T/C factory stock finish

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a citric based stripper, put on let dry then scrape off with a dull carpet knife blade held 90 deg to stock..if done lightly it just takes finish off and not much wood.. probably have to do 2 or 3 applications to get it all off.

I just finished stripping my Dixie Gun Works single barrel shotgun. Citrus Strip stripper is the way to go. It worked fast for me, less than an hour. Be sure to wear safety glasses and gloves. I got a drop on me and I thought it was going to burn through my arm.

I just finished stripping my Dixie Gun Works single barrel shotgun. Citrus Strip stripper is the way to go. It worked fast for me, less than an hour. Be sure to wear safety glasses and gloves. I got a drop on me and I thought it was going to burn through my arm.

It is harsh. I really like it since I can use it in an apartment and not get run out due to the fumes. One jug last for Many stocks too.

I once stripped a Rem 700 BDL Varmint special stock. Those have that High gloss epoxy finish on them. It took 2 rounds, instead of my usual 1 round, but it made the finish so soft (did not wrinkle) you just used something like a putty knife to remove it. The bad thing was it was also started actually eating the black forend tip, did not realize those were plastic till then.:eek: I just had to sand and polish it again to look good. Usually one good round is all that is needed. I too use Gloves and just wipe it on with a folded Paper towel and let sit. Use and old toothbrush to get into checkering or tight spots.

It is harsh. I really like it since I can use it in an apartment and not get run out due to the fumes. One jug last for Many stocks too.

I once stripped a Rem 700 BDL Varmint special stock. Those have that High gloss epoxy finish on them. It took 2 rounds, instead of my usual 1 round, but it made the finish so soft (did not wrinkle) you just used something like a putty knife to remove it. The bad thing was it was also started actually eating the black forend tip, did not realize those were plastic till then.:eek: I just had to sand and polish it again to look good. Usually one good round is all that is needed. I too use Gloves and just wipe it on with a folded Paper towel and let sit. Use and old toothbrush to get into checkering or tight spots.

ST, it is good stuff and the smell won't kill you. It's good to know about eating plastic. I used the squirt on bottle. Next time I may try the paste. I use a plastic putty knife for the initial removal of the old finish then paper towels.

good info. my old new englander was wrapped in camo tape, when I removed it, it left a white film on the stock.sounds like a good winter project.:)

Latest posts

Back