Stuck Breech Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElDiablo

Supporting member
Reaction score
I just pulled a stuck 209 breech plug in a White Super 91 .45 that I picked up about six months ago with a badly buggered breech plug. I figured I’d have some trouble removing it and almost didn’t buy it for that reason.

I tried long soaks with Kroil (from both sides of the plug), heat/cold, heat/beeswax, and soaks with a mix of automatic trans fluid/acetone (which is supposed to be the best penetrant according to a study posted on the other muzzy site). The main issue is there really isn’t much meat to the White 209 plug and it had been badly rounded off by a previous owner. Last resort was going to be welding on an extension or taking to a gunsmith. So, I reluctantly resorted to picking up a set of broken bolt extractors. The problem with nearly all of them is that they’re not long enough (without removing the barrel from the action) to reach the plug. So I found a set that is used with a 3/8 extension. I started small and drilled a 7/32 inch hole into the back of the plug with a long bit, tapped in the appropriate extractor with a hammer and turned out the plug right out. Probably took 30-40 lbs of torque. I don’t think there was any anti-seize used. I’m sure some or all of the penetrants helped but the extractor worked like a charm.

I was happy to find that the bore looks great and the rifle shoots very well! Hope this helps someone else.

57219BE7-C5D5-426A-ABE3-AE603FC25CEB.png

1522138A-2E41-4018-AAF2-BAC8A209E8DA.jpeg5D8135D5-13AA-416F-929D-9575286E8711.jpeg

Thank you again!! I went ahead and ordered them now to have when I need them. Have an old Traditions Pursuit that the bolt always gets stuck in. Next time, I'll be prepared.
John

Latest posts

Back