stuck cone

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrt4me

Reaction score
I have a cylinder from which I was able to remove 5 cones, but the 6th is just stuck; I have soaked in penetrating oil for days, as well as heated the cylinder (specifically the cone area), and I just cannot get the cone removed with my quality 5mm socket nipple wrench (and with the cylinder firmly placed in a cylinder block in the jaws of my bench vise). What other remedies have worked for you before?

Maybe try a pneumatic palm ratchet at low torque in reverse and let it hammer at it a little? I have removed stubborn brake bleeders this way. Just a thought.

More heat. Multiple heat/cool cycles work well for me on badly stuck parts. Heat it a lot, cool it with a penetrant, repeat 6-8 times. And the low torque impact ratchet method, or a cordless screw gun with a nut driver in it(they're pretty low torque). Worst case drill and re-tap the threads.

For stuck bolts, we have the infamous ez-out (which expands as it grips). There are the stuck bolt removers that grip from the outside that usually get the job done. Try driving a small 1/4" drive socket with 8 or 12 points onto the stuck nipple. The splines created should give you enough grip to turn it out. Of course, this is after you've tried all the penetrating fluid and heat & cool cycles. I've had great success and lots of experiences getting stuck bolts out.

Latest posts

Back