Stupidity at it's finest

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll take a wild guess at a couple feasible answers as to how this happens, being a civil engineer.

Bridges are not a static, stay in one place vertically object, especially during construction. Falsework and girders move and sag as the deck is poured/loaded. Wood falsework crushes/compacts, etc.

The precaster/manufacturer for the prestressed concrete girders (as they appear to be, but steel girders are similar) fabricated something incorrect, which allowed the girders to sag further than calculated as the bridge deck was built or the girders did not have enough camber built in originally to account for this. Girders sag as the bridge is loaded with steel and concrete comprising the deck.

During deck construction the deck was loaded improperly, depending on the type or skew of a bridge deck loading during pouring of concrete has to be maintained at specific rates and angles depending on the design. If not the deflection in the bridge may be off side to side or front to back for various reasons.

Someone messed up a calculation on the sag when setting girders and forms.

Someone messed up when surveying which resulted in the 1” error. With the lack of emphasis with most contractors, local and state governments to have properly educated technicians, workers, engineers and foreman (because they cost more) I find this to be the most likely situation. Properly educated, trained and licensed staff cost more than hiring bodies off the street and attempting to train them as has become popular in recent years as labor markets have tightened.

All that said, a design would not typically be set right at a clearance limitation. A factor of safety, say 6”, would be far more common IMO to account for unexpected movement during construction.

I’ll take a wild guess at a couple feasible answers as to how this happens, being a civil engineer.

Bridges are not a static, stay in one place vertically object, especially during construction. Falsework and girders move and sag as the deck is poured/loaded. Wood falsework crushes/compacts, etc.

The precaster/manufacturer for the prestressed concrete girders (as they appear to be, but steel girders are similar) fabricated something incorrect, which allowed the girders to sag further than calculated as the bridge deck was built or the girders did not have enough camber built in originally to account for this. Girders sag as the bridge is loaded with steel and concrete comprising the deck.

During deck construction the deck was loaded improperly, depending on the type or skew of a bridge deck loading during pouring of concrete has to be maintained at specific rates and angles depending on the design. If not the deflection in the bridge may be off side to side or front to back for various reasons.

Someone messed up a calculation on the sag when setting girders and forms.

Someone messed up when surveying which resulted in the 1” error. With the lack of emphasis with most contractors, local and state governments to have properly educated technicians, workers, engineers and foreman (because they cost more) I find this to be the most likely situation. Properly educated, trained and licensed staff cost more than hiring bodies off the street and attempting to train them as has become popular in recent years as labor markets have tightened.

All that said, a design would not typically be set right at a clearance limitation. A factor of safety, say 6”, would be far more common IMO to account for unexpected movement during construction.
Well you explained that perfectly

Well there have been numerous examples of them messing up bridges and whatnot. In Canada they built a bridge that that was misaligned and the across deck did not fit. Or Australia where they have a bridge overpass that is misaligned and stayed that way for over 40 years too. Chile had a articulated draw bridge like structure where the moveable section does not fit. In Arizona they build bridges designed for 100 year flood levels that wash out every year. Job security I guess. Brazil has their infamous leaning apartment buildings. Heck even San Francisco has their infamous leaning and sinking luxury apartment building too. It goes on and on and on.

Don’t forget NASA. They screwed up royally more than once. When a Mars lander crashed because they didn’t convert SAE measurements to metric. The various groups hated each other and would only minimally cooperate. Or the huge management snafu when they ignored the engineer warnings about the oRing seals on the solid fuel booster rockets on the Space Shuttle that blew up shortly after launch. Or the Hubble Telescope being out of focus. The list goes on and on.

How about that SpaceX rocket that blew up last month? They were just excited that it left the ground.
Elon Musk stated that he wasn’t sure it would fly. He was kind of expecting it to blow up on the launchpad. It was all new technology and even his engineers didn’t know either. It was really a knowledge and information gathering launch being the first of its kind. It did get off the ground and then had a part fail in flight. But yes it did fail but they all were expecting it to. If it didn’t fail it would have really messed them up for wondering what would fail later on it.

I was a construction superintendent for many years. Buildings, roads, and underground. A million ways to arrive at such a mistake. First mistake was not including a little extra tolerance in the original plan. Especially at such a critical measurement. But I see it all over. There is a reconstructed expressway and new bridges near my house. The road on and off the bridge is like a roller coaster. Someone actually had to pass it so everyone could get paid and go home. The super on the project could have gotten with the state and blended the approach on to and the exit off of the bridge nicely.

The company I worked for the owner would have told me to park his truck and go work somewhere else. We had pride in our work.

Latest posts

Back