Success on Final Day of IL Youth Season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My daughter hasn't gotten a deer with her muzzleloader (only firearm she uses for hunting) for a couple of years, so it was nice to see her get a shot. This spike isn't going to win any big buck contests, but she apparently decided beggars can't be choosers and put a nice shot on him with her Traditions Youth Buckstalker (2 50gr pellets of triple seven and a platinum Powerbelt), dropped him on the spot. Perfect shot catching the lungs and a bit of the heart. We were sitting way up on a rock outcropping, when around 9:00 AM she points to me that a deer is down below in the brush. We are about 10 yards apart because I wanted her set up at an angle where I suspected any deer would be coming from, which it did. I was to her right behind a small bush for cover. I was very proud of her for taking her time and setting up with her shooting stick and waiting for the deer to enter a shooting lane-very thick right now with all the leaves still on the trees and bushes. She usually never wants to take a small buck, but I think she figured that she hasn't gotten a deer with the gun for a while, and doesn't get much opportunity to hunt much, being involved in so much. She is still looking for that wall hanger, so hopefully she gets an opportunity with the bow during the pre-rut/rut.

Attachments

• Cali Spike 10-10-22.jpg
    Cali Spike 10-10-22.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 0
Congrats to your daughter, and you too.

Congrats!! Love seeing the kid’s successful.

Congratulations to the both of you ! I get more satisfaction seeing a young huntress/hunter being successful than taking one myself. You will have a life long hunting companion.

Congratulations to the both of you ! I get more satisfaction seeing a young huntress/hunter being successful than taking one myself. You will have a life long hunting companion.
I have found that to be the case as well. I think I get more excited than they do. I take 3 kids hunting, and when they get older, I'll have to find some kids to take their place.

Congratulations to both of you! Im trying to get a coworker into deerhunting and MLs this year. He cant have any centerfire guns and im hoping to keep him out of trouble and outdoors at the same time.

Congrats to all. I took a spike in rifle season last year (only buck I saw). I prefer does for eating, but a small buck will do nicely also.

Congratulations, I too had my youngest out for Illinois youth deer hunt, almost got a shot but he moved too fast. Live and learn.

Back