Success this AM

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, good luck getting that doe. I should have had one this weekend with my side lock but all that fired was the primer- the flash channel was plugged up from running a patch down it and I forgot to blow it out with a cap before I loaded it that morning.

Its great to hear others perspectives on deer hunting & the outdoors. I agree its simply nice to just sit out & observe nature & take it all in.
Agree. A lot of my hunts are all day sits. Into the woods with my headlamp on, out of the woods the same way. I can't sit still anywhere for ten hours, but somehow I have no problem sitting up in a tree for that long.

Sometimes I'll look back on a sit and wonder what it was that occupied my mind the whole time I was out there, but then I realize that there was nothing, just sitting peacefully in the woods.

Well said. But I do catch a nap now and then.
Same here. I take my linesman belt and go around the back of the tree, then snug tight. The other day after my little nap I looked around before releasing the carabiner, threw it around the tree to the other side, stood up and turned around facing the tree to put it in my bag and there's a buck standing there, about 40 yards out! He never even flinched. Grabbed my bow and watched him as he walked right into the direction of a perfect shot, but never came in close enough!

I was in my blind by 5:30 am. An hour and a half before legal shooting. I like to get there early cause Half Cocked and I did see deer going by in the dark. Dont want to scare any deer away right before shooting hours. My buddy texted me he had over slept. I had the heat on and was pretty comfy. Ate a half of an apple fritter I left there a few days before and finish my hot chocolate. AAAAHHHH

After shooting time I had what Im referring to the ugly buck go by. If you take your pointy finger and bend it at 90 degrees thats about what the ugly buck looks like. A few minutes later about a 6 point went by. I think a twin to the one Half Cocked shot. I almost did and thought well if Im seeing deer I just need to be patient.

About 1/2 hour later following the previous two bucks trail in reverse I see movement. This fellow was on a mission. I grunted at him a couple times very loud. He paid no attention. So I put my face out the window and let a really loud grunt go. He stopped dead and looked right at me. Don't you know with a 4" tree covering his left side at about 100 yards. Been shooting my new to me $126.00 LK 93 with 80.6(W) grains of T7 and Precision Rifle Dead center 220 grains.

Didnt want to hit the shoulder so moved up to the neck and he fell like a rock. Never moved from where he fell.

View attachment 27796
Congrats on a nice buck Snapbang. Thanks for the pic & story. I've been using the exact same bullet for the last 3 yrs now, and I do mostly neck or headshots.

Referring to the various stands and older hunters. There was a time I could and did sit tight in a stand from dawn to dusk. When that became something of a chore I dropped to around mid day. Later it became around 11:00 am.

But things can get worse due to afflictions unrelated to age. This is what got me. I basically "hung it up" around 6 years ago. Haven't hunted since. Of course it's still possible that an opportunity might emerge that ONLY requires me to sit in a folding chair and nothing else.
download-40.jpg

ONLY requires me to sit in a folding chair and nothing else.
No, no, no. No folding chairs. Office chairs that swivel, rock, and are padded with nice arm rests. My next improvement will be a ramp so they can wheel me up there when Im not able to do it myself. They can leave me for the day and come back after dark.

Latest posts

Back