Successful youth hunt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Reaction score
My 12 year old daughter had another successful hunt. Last year she killed a great buck opening weekend as her first deer and then got a doe with her Grandpa when we were down in TN for thanksgiving last year. Both those deer last year it all happened in about 10 seconds from seeing the deer till pulling the trigger. This one was different. We first saw a pair of deer cresting the hill about 300 yards away in the freshly picked corn field feeding their way across it towards our right. There was about 25 mins left in shooting time. She had her gun up, I was on them with the range finder, and my 9 year old boy was watching in the binos. When they were at 125 she said she could make that shot. We still had 10 mins of light left so I told her just wait a bit. Her load in her Knight Littlehorn is 80 grains 777 pushing a 200 SST so I wanted the shot a bit closer. She then started doubting the shot and was worried about possibly wounding it. It was a good time for another conversation about not taking the shot your not 100% confident in. I ranged again and they were at 85 yards. She was doubting herself and I reassured her that this is a shot she can make as she’s done it countless times in our backyard range. She then gave me a smile and said she was gonna take the shot. Right then the one deer stood behind the other so she waited for it to clear. Then she fired and I could see as the smoke cleared it was a good hit. The deer she hit ran off to the right and the other to the left. Both the deer she shot last year dropped instantly so when this one took off she got a bit emotional for a second thinking she wounded it but I assured her it was a solid hit. We walked out to where the deer was standing and found blood! It was dark by now so perfect chance to teach the kids how to work as a team following a blood trail. We followed it about 50 yards across the field and there her deer was laying right on the edge of the woods!!

Attachments

• 142AE3D3-7EF2-4A3A-8914-05E794D50FD0.jpeg
    142AE3D3-7EF2-4A3A-8914-05E794D50FD0.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
That's great! She's really hooked now! :lewis: :D I took my one young grandson out yesterday on the Opening Day of our Early ML season in PA. At 6:10 a very young doe came up through the woods at stopped broadside at 25 yards. My grandson looked at her and then turned around to me and said "she's too small GrandPa", and let her walk away. I was very proud of him!

Congrats to your daughter on her great shot. And good for you to make it happen. :lewis:

Congrats:bravo: to your daughter and to you for getting her involved in and encouraging her to participate in something of real value.

Good job young lady! Its always great to see the pics of a youngster's successful hunt.

Latest posts

Back