Successful youth hunt!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03mossy

Reaction score
We had our youth deer hunt in MN this weekend. I had my two middle kids with me. My daughter is 13 and my son is 10. We were hunting on the family farm in the southwest corner of the state. Being as it was just us 3 hunting we had our choice of stands. We chose "Milfords spot", named for my great uncle who hunted that spot for 70 years. This spot has been good to us. I have shot all my biggest bucks out of it and my daughter took a nice buck 2 years ago and a button buck last year. For the past month, I have had to listen to those 2 kids try and decide who gets to shoot first in different scenarios lol. We got out to the stand about 1:30 on Fri. About an hour before dark we had a doe and fork come from directly downwind and busted us the second we saw them. About an hour later we had for does come from the left. My son tried getting a shot when they were at 40 yards broadside but they were spooked already and didn't stand still. They moved off to about 80 yards and my son took the shot on the big doe. We watched them run off and none appeared to be hit. We searched and followed their tracks and no blood. Clean miss. The boy was crushed! He practiced all summer long with his Wolverine and we were confident going into the season. The kids a darn good shot but admitted later that night he was shaking like crazy when he shot. Luckily he didn't have to live with that miss very long. The next morning right at first light a spike came from the same way. He couldn't get the shot off when he was right in front of us but the deer stopped again at about 40 yards through some trees. He was aiming at it still and said he could make the shot. From my view it didn't look possible but he was confident he had a clear shot through the trees. He took the shot and as the smoke cleared we saw the deer running into the woods. We found good blood and started to track. The deer made it about 100 yards and was dead just on the other side of the creek. I have killed many deer in my life but nothing comes close to the excitement and joy on your kid's faces when they are successful! Very proud of him and it was a great hunt. He used his Knight Wolverine with 70 grains 777 and a 200 grain Hornady XTP.

Side note- When the deer was on its death run it ran straight towards the farm site and made it within 50 yards of the game pole we hang deer on lol. Shortest drag ever!
G deer.jpg

Awesome. I would tell your son that there are two kinds of hunters: those who have missed a shot they should have made, and those who will.

Congrats to your son Mossy. That looks like a real nice deer for the freezer.

I fished this morning and on the way home came upon two bucks not 400 feet apart that met fenders after I passed that way going to the river. Not too far from being in town. It appears that the males are on the run already.

Something a young man never forgets!

It’s been so fun listening to him retell the story to his grandpas, uncles, friends, etc. it’s a day we will never forget. Who knew a button buck would be a trophy!

Back