Suddenly Savage

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoolmaster

Reaction score
Shot a button buck at 121 yards with the savage. Only problem was it took me 45 minutes to find it. At the shot, I lost the sight picture in the recoil and as I pulled the gun down and looked I saw the same doe and two fawns standing in the field. I was trying to reload when they ran off. Now I'm thinking "How am I going to explain a clean miss with a dead rest on a wide open deer?" I sat in the blind and kept looking back to where the deer had been standing. Something just didn't look the same only I couldn't figure out what it was. So finally I decided to walk over and take a look at where the deer were standing. As I approached closer to the spot in the cror field I saw a patch of white and then made out a deer lying in a slight depression in the field. When hit by the 250 SW it had dropped so fast I didn't see it go down. The doe had 3 fawns with her and I just hadn't seen the tail end one. Lesson learned.

:D Nice shot schoolmaster. Same has happened to me more than once...especially shooting out a a tree stand. I'm usually lookin for deer somewhat closer than where it actually went down. :lol:

Something very similar happened to me many years ago. I was hunting in the same pasture that I hunt in today, but at that time I spent most of my time on foot stalking. I got to the far end of the pasture, came over a hill and there I saw a buck standing in a small opening 250 yds away. Because of the distance I proned out on the ground to get a steady rest. I bit my lip when I laid on the cactus :eek: . I composed myself, aimed and fired. After the recoil and look up and the deer was still standing there. Zeroed in again and fired again. Look up and saw the deer taking a few steps. Probable cussed a bit and zeroed in again. Was about to pull the trigger when I saw a leg lift up off the ground and then lay down. Didn't shoot and walk up. There was a slight depression where the deer had stood and there were 2 bucks laying of the ground. Had one of them not raised it leg I would have shot the 3rd one. On thinking back I'm guessing but think that because of the trees the deer heard echos and couldn't tell where the shots were coming from and that's why they didn't run away.

ain't it amazin that the truth is stranger than fiction. I had a buddy one that killed two deer with his muzzleloader in about 1 minute. He shot one at about 70 yards and killed it and as it rolled down the hill the other one stood there and watched it. He did the 10 second reload drill and killed the second one.

:lol: I experiencd that "Suddenly Savage" feeling when I pulled the trigger on my first Sav. smokless. That buck dropped like a sack of taters! I carried that grin around for weeks! That little ole 300 grn. XTPs performance was outstanding to say the least! The second time adoe appeared out of "no where" in corn stubble, I touched one off on her, looked away for a second to reload, low and behold when I looked back to where she was, she was still standing there! I felt blessed to have a second chance!, until I saw movement on the ground. those does had been laying in the field the whole time! This farmer practiced "run and gun" combineing which left stubble 1 to 1 half feet tall. Lesson learned.

Back