Suggestions for ML Scope under $300?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for a ML scope under $300. I'm just in the market for my .45cal Knight disc. has 30mm rings so if i can find a 30mm tube scope for them then thats a bonus. I'm just on a budget right now. I know there are several good scope manufactures out there right now. I've had good luck with Vortex as of late. Thanks for the suggestions and help!

I work in education, so I look for inexpensive but not cheap. One of the best hidden deals going is old 70s vintage Tasco scopes made in Japan. These were $500 scopes when new, haunting ebay, garage sales, flea markets and pawn shops can often find them under $100. My last one, a 8-32x44 w/ fine target dot and adjustable objective cost me $25 with shipping... and it compares very well with a new $250 Mueller 8-32 w/ fine dot and side focus.

The Muellers are good as well, lifetime warranty IF you have your original receipt (so if you buy used be sure to get it!). $150ish will get one of their 2-7x w/ adjustable objective. Vortex has a similar offering in the same price range, but I've not looked thru one - they have a good reputation on a few forums though.

Don't forget that the higher your magnification, the worse things will look at closer ranges. Get a scope with adjustable objective or side focus, or open it up and adjust the fixed parallax/focus yourself. Personally I'm going to do my best to never buy another scope without AO or SF....

You wont find a VX Freedom 30mm for $300 very often. The least expensive models are $300 and sales are few. You are looking at $450 and up for one in 30mm and there are too many better scopes such as the Sightron STAC for that kinda cash.

i have the vortex diamondback HP in 4-16 . i got it because of suggestions here . i don't have a lot of scope experience but it's definately clearer than my bushnell AR and a bit clearer than my Hawke vantage . it's one inch , not 30mm but it's only $199 so plenty left for nice rings . it hase decent eye relief also . it's made in the philipines . i think the other diamondback series are made in china ....... if it makes any difference to you .

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2420373744?pid=373744
https://vortexoptics.com/diamondback-hp-4-16x42.html
some folks here talking about it ..........

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/search/332131/?q=DiamondBack+HP&o=relevance
i just ordered a second HP from MidwayUSA for my ladys grandson for xmas . last spring someone stole his two rifles , a muzzleloader and some fishing rods out of his truck . he got a new savage 30-06 during the summer and has been using a old tasco scope on it . he looked through my HP and played with it a bit and was smiling and gigling about being a sniper if he had one on his 06 .

All the Diamondbacks except the Tactical FFP line are made in the Philippines. The issue with the regular Diamondback line is the eye relief is poor for a ML and the glass is not as good as the HPs. A Diamondback HP is basically a Viper HS with a 1" tube and 42mm objective. Same glass, coatings and generous eye relief.

I had one of these 70s vintage Tasco scopes made in Japan a 3-12x52 fitted by a gunsmith in Germany to my Traditions in-line in May this year it has a 30mm tube and it is so good I have bought another off the european fleabay.

IIRC Tasco used 2 different OEMs during the Japan made scope era. One was not all that great and the other was Kenko. I think Japan Optics bought the one that was not all that great and their quality is ok but still not as good as Kenko or LOW. The old Tasco Super Snipers were made by Kenko for the US Navy. You can still buy them today thru SWFA SS.....Very tough scope for $300 and the glass is decent. The MIL-Quad reticle is awesome.

The SWFA SS 6x42 is always on backorder for a reason. Guys love that scope and it tracks like a scope should. They have sales for the fixed power scopes as low as $200 but normally its around $250 with some accessories like rings and Butler caps.

Wow, they got some MOA Quads in stock atm. Guys want the MIL Quads mostly.
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-6x42-ss-30mm-riflescope-113809.html

Last edited:
I bought the Bushnell elite 4500 and like it a lot
Ive been considering the Elite 4500 4X 1-4x24 for my brush gun. Most LPVOs are "tactical" as in illuminated with busy reticles. IMO the little Elite 4500 is about perfect for guys that just want a smaller scope for a hunting rifle.

Great eye relief, toolless zero reset and huge amount of adjustment. They had these on sale a couple months ago for about $190 or $200 but i missed the sale.
https://www.bushnell.com/riflescope...-1-4x24-riflescope-multi-x/BU-REL1424BS3.html

I'd go with the Sightron or the Bushnell. Both very good. I'm a big fan of Sightron.
Ive got 3 Sightrons. One is a older SII BigSky (made in Japan) i snagged when MidwayUSA found some. They blew them out for under $250. The other 2 are STACs. The STACs are on the heavy side and the turrets are huge but other than that they are excellent scopes for the money. The SII BigSky is under 16oz with better glass and toolless zero reset. Just a wonderful scope.

Latest posts

Back