Suggestions for the cheapest black powder pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
I may want to purchase a black powder pistol soon but I wanted to check with you guys to see suggestions on the absolute cheapest sales going on right now for them or any models in You may know.

Almost forget wanna multi shot revolver looking at the 1851 bill Hickok or something like that model it was 200 and something
Either that or I’m gonna purchase a PCP air rifle I haven’t decided.

I don’t really care what model historic or modern I want cheap as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I found a pieta 1851 navy brass revolver for about 170 bucks shipped any thoughts on that model

Looks good. I think the brass makes them purty. Did you get it in .44 or .36? I see it's a Pietta. They make good quality guns.

thanks man

Originally I thought I wanted the 36 because that is what is historically accurate for that gun but after seeing them shoot in YouTube videos I’m glad I got the 44 and it was the one that was on sale the 36 I think went for about 60 bucks more

It was gonna be this or a PCP air rifle I saw this thing on sale. the history behind it sold me on it so soon I’ll have a revolver to add to the collection.

So I learned a few things since my purchase.I wouldn’t have necessarily gone with a brass frame but I’m gonna put light loads in it probably not use it that often. then I will turn around and sell it after about I don’t know 500 600 rounds if I like it and then I’m gonna go with the steel frame 1851 looking at the different years and the 1851 is not only the cheapest seems very popular has a great history.

all in all though I think I’ll be very satisfied with my purchase

yep, i started with a brass frame too. Look great, shoot fine. Then i got to that point where I wanted to push it a bit harder. I had the 1858 Pietta. My buddy has it now and its still a good shooter even tho he treats it poorly. Ive had to fix it for him a couple times.

I’m going to try and baby it as much as possible that way if I do you wanna sell it I can sell a usable gun and not a Wall decoration. Of course once they buy it they can miss treated if they want lol.

it’s looking like I’m gonna do the 454 ball with 15 grain of 2f yes that’s 2ff triple 7. going to start with that then I’m experimenting with paper cartridges. I always say every gun has this place I have a feeling this one’s going to get a lot of use at the plinking range!

These things are so cool I’m already looking at the Roosevelt model that takes the cowboy cartridges!

I have a Uberti 1858. Awesome shooter! Also picked up the 45 colt cylinder.
I definitely want one of those as well but the Pietta version. I’m starting to build a list no lie! The 1858 the 1851 that I have the Roosevelt and I want something with a ridiculously long barrel! Elmer Fudd cartoon long!

I saw one being fired into a chrono. Longer the barrel higher the FPS with the same charge. I’m also looking at Teddy Roosevelt big medicine rifle.

Now I know they re-creations of various historical authenticity but man somethin Has to be wrong with you if you do not like the sheer amount of American history goes into these things!

I think I should’ve started here and then moved on to the modern in line rifle oh well cart before the horse is always my style!

Back