Summer sausage smoker ready

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
PQtMVDC.jpg

23 1/2 sticks. I fried up what was left in the stuffer and have to say it was pretty darned tasty. These sticks will get an apple/hickory smoke blend, then finished in the oven to get them to the needed 152 degrees.

Some sliced summer sausage, a plate of pickled crappies, some sliced swiss cheese, a plate full of crackers, all served with a cold glass of home crafted wine.....life is pretty rich right then.

Tom definitely knows what he’s doing when preparing venison recipes, and making crappie jigs. He is an asset to our forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks good Tom :yeah: Looks VERY Familiar, i made 200 pounds easily, probably well over that of Summer Sausage the first 3-4 years i lived here, I actually got burned out on it and haven’t made any in a few years

25-pound batch, 50% pork butt - 50% lean venison. Mix this, H Summer Sausage Seasoning, in, gring coarse then fine and stuff. Seasoning comes with the proper amount of cure for a 25-pound batch. 4 to 5 hours of warm smoke, finish in a 190-degree oven until the internal temp in each stick reaches 152 degrees. Be sure to check each stick as they'll likely get to 152 one or two at a time. I hustle my sticks that come from the oven right down to the garage and hang them. Depending on the air temp I will let them hang up to 4 days then vacuum seal individually. I do all my summer sausage in 12" X 2" casings....they'll weigh about a pound each.

I'll add this. Have the meat, both kinds, all cut into 1" pieces. Then add the seasonings and cure and hand mix for maybe ten minutes. Wear latex gloves as your hide can absorb the cure during the mixing. Then do the coarse grind followed by the fin grind.

Last edited:
Back