Sunrise

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My one grandson shot a doe during archery season. He trailed it for a 100 yards or so and decided not to push it and came back with his dad about 4 hrs later. When he found it there was hardly anything left of it. I’m sure there was more than one yote that ate that much deer in such a short time.

Last edited:
Shot two together last fall with a smooth bore NW Trade Gun. The first one came right to me within 30 feet (easy shot). The second one must have been a friend of the first one, he came up while I was reloading to see what his friend was doing (a guess !!). I put him down so he could go with his friend too.

[answer] yes it was a flintlock gun.

Nice picture Lewis

Last edited:
Beautiful! One of my absolute favorite things in life is watching a fall sunrise from a deer stand!

The coyotes were going nuts last night when I let the dogs out before bed. They were in the woods across the road and must have made a kill. Sounded like a pretty good sized pack.

The dog in your Arvo Walk thread might be close in weight. If it was a bit shorter and longer fur like a german shepherd it would be about the same.

The dog in your Arvo Walk thread might be close in weight. If it was a bit shorter and longer fur like a german shepherd it would be about the same.

Ok So GSP/average dog size? It's hard to get perspective from dead ones. Do packs ever get aggressive or are they generally scared of humans?

They can be very aggressive in packs. One at a time they will just run if they see a person. My BIL lives on a large island in the Detroit river that has a large deer and coyote population. Packs of coyotes will try to seperate people from their dogs while walking them. Or just kill dogs that are not with humans. I have not heard of any recent attacks on people. They dont allow hunting and there is a lot of wildlife and game that the coyotes kill. Its a surprisingly stable ecosystem. Except for the deer, they are culled occasionally, im told, because the yotes dont kill enough of them.

Sunrise in outback Australia
20191017_064449.jpg

The most beautiful picture I've seen in my hunting life was prior to shooting this stag. He skylined himself against a magnificent pink sunset, unfortunately I was too wrapped up in shooting him to get a pic. The best of it was gone once he was on the ground and I took pics.
20210114_115758.jpg

Nice looking stag. Kinda looks like an American elk. What's the other animal in the previous picture?

First pic is just a wild pig.

Reds are similar to elk (closely related), the bottom three tines on each antler are the same, they differ in that elk continue to throw out vertical tines off the main beam beyond that point while reds "crown" from that point and tines start to cluster. The stag in the pic is decent but not a thumper by any means.

First pic is just a wild pig.

Reds are similar to elk (closely related), the bottom three tines on each antler are the same, they differ in that elk continue to throw out vertical tines off the main beam beyond that point while reds "crown" from that point and tines start to cluster. The stag in the pic is decent but not a thumper by any means.
That would be a thumper for me sho nuff.

Interesting reading about coyotes and deer.
Have y'all read or heard about the study out of Maine, I think? They surmise because of the behavioral differences between coyotes, and bears, bears have a much broader impact on the deer herds than coyotes.
Coyotes, as members of the dog family, chase prey running away from them. Deer, does specifically, have evolved to run from danger, leaving their semi-helpless offspring curled up, motionless, silent, while their flight draws away these canine predators. The does usually escape, and the fawns are not often detected.
The black bear, however, does not use it's legs to pursue the fleeing, fast running, adult. Bears use their noses, and have evolved the behavior of following that scent trail back the other way, often being rewarded with a tender, spotted, high protein snack, curled up, motionless, at the end of it. Bears are related to pigs. Pigs have much more sensitive sniffers than dogs. In fact pigs are used to locate truffles, they're so well versed at scent location.

Latest posts

Back