Super 91 and "No Excuses" conical

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntnfoo

Reaction score
Hey guys,
First time poster, but long time reader. I have two questions for you guys:

1. Just checking in with those of you who may have tried some of these "no excuses" conical. I shoot a W series Super 91 and based on a lot of your previous comments, I am curious as to how these will shoot for me. Do you find that the .503's are better than the .504's for the Super 91 with a .504 barrel?
2. I'm playing around with my loads trying to see how accurate I can get. I've ordered some 300gr Parkers, and plan to pair it with some Blackhorn powder. I've got a big bull elk tag this fall, and worried that 300gr Parker thought it may fly great, may not pack enough punch for a big bull elk.

Appreciate any thoughts you're willing to share.

.504 work in my Super 91. I haven't tried the no excuses conical bullets.
By the way Blackhorn powder is not recommended in a "plunger" Super 91 rifle! The #11 cap isn't strong enough to set off the powder and you risk the plunger coming back into your face with the pressure it generates if you have the 209 conversion.
I only use the #11 cap in both my Super 91's and all my White guns. They always fire with no problems!

Welcome!

Last edited:
Can you use scopes for your elk hunt? Other restrictions?

A well placed 300 will do the job but a 495 No Excuse would be my preference. If its a no scope state, theres no reason not to go with big lead IMHO

I would definitely go with the 504 or 504.5. The reason being you want to make sure your bullet doesn't move off the charge. If that happens and you shoot you could/would create a bulge in your bbl. Ideally, you want to feel some resistance all the way down the barrel. I would ask NoExcuses to send you some sized to 504 and 504.5 and let your rifle decide which it likes better. For example, with my 451 White's I size my bullets with a Lee 452 Sizing die and my bullets don't move off the charge and go down easily. I would also use a 54 cal felt wad under my bullets. Yes, 54 cal. It helps protects the base of the bullets. helps prevents some leading in the bbl and ensures no gases escapes thus helping to squeeze as much accuracy as possible out of your loads. If you can't find any 54 cal felt wads then use 50 cal wads.

There are other conicals out there that will work as good or better than No Excuses but you should get acceptable accuracy fro them.

Can you use scopes for your elk hunt? Other restrictions?

A well placed 300 will do the job but a 495 No Excuse would be my preference. If its a no scope state, theres no reason not to go with big lead IMHO

Yes, we can use magnified optics in my state. It's a new thing, which is why I'm starting to search a bit for this load. Reading a lot, hearing a lot of opinions but best to hear from guys with experience using this same weapon.

By the way Blackhorn powder is not recommended in a "plunger" Super 91 rifle! The #11 cap isn't strong enough to set off the powder and you risk the plunger coming back into your face with the pressure it generates if you have the 209 conversion.
I only use the #11 cap in both my Super 91's and all my White guns. They always fire with no problems!

Welcome!
Interesting. The reason I asked about the Blackhorn was because it was recommended by Doc White himself paired with the .209 conversion.

Welcome!
X2. I tried BH209 with a #11 cap just to see. It went off but not with any authority.

Western Powders list on the back of BH209 bottle "not for #11 caps".

I'm not a expert by any means, like Doc White.

Correction: I'm gonna backup and retract what I said about Western Powders mentioning "plunger" guns on their website I looked an couldn't find it. I removed it, don't remember where I got that from unless the reference to #11 or musket caps.

Last edited:

Welcome!
Fantastic post toytruck

IMO, BH should not be used in any rifle that does not have a breech plug that is specifically designed or modified to use BH. I have seen the damage done when BH gases are allowed to escape out of an area other than the muzzle of your rifle. Due to the pressure and duration of burn of BH, it will find a way out of a poorly sealed breech area. When this happens you will get gas cutting. Doc is a very knowledgeable man and I'm sure he can get BH to light, but you have to remember, when he makes a mistake, he has parts.

I've used a lot of different lighter bullets on elk, with poor results. When I started shooting 405 gr. bullets, my results were very good. I'm a big believer in sectional density. In my center fires I shoot for .280 or better. That is hard to get with a .50, but I try. I shoot .458's in a sabot.

I have a Knight Bighorn and just switched to BH209 this year. I called Knight and they said I can use up to 100grs by volume of BH209 in my gun. The load I'm going to use this elk season is 85 gr of BH209 with a 495gr No Excuses bullet. The accuracy was terrible with it {4.5" @50yds} until I cut the petals off a sabot and use it as a base under the bullet. It puts 4 shots in the same hole @50 yds. I'm getting 1450 fps velocity, I think it will impress an elk.

I would definitely go with the 504 or 504.5. The reason being you want to make sure your bullet doesn't move off the charge. If that happens and you shoot you could/would create a bulge in your bbl. Ideally, you want to feel some resistance all the way down the barrel. I would ask NoExcuses to send you some sized to 504 and 504.5 and let your rifle decide which it likes better. For example, with my 451 White's I size my bullets with a Lee 452 Sizing die and my bullets don't move off the charge and go down easily. I would also use a 54 cal felt wad under my bullets. Yes, 54 cal. It helps protects the base of the bullets. helps prevents some leading in the bbl and ensures no gases escapes thus helping to squeeze as much accuracy as possible out of your loads. If you can't find any 54 cal felt wads then use 50 cal wads.
Try cutting the petals off a sabot so it's completely flat on top and use it as a wad to protect the bullet base. The results are surprising.

I tried the felt wads first, they tightened the group up to 2" @50yds. The modified sabots took the group down to 0.7". Yes it's a little bit of a pain, but totally worth the time.
Ive been doing that in my .45s. PITA yes but accuracy is stellar. I started doing it after a range trip when i forgot to pack the wads. Totally worth doing.

Back