Super 91?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a Rifle marked as a Super91, but I'm not so sure. The rifle is Black Iced Wilson barrel .451 with the plastic ram rod ferrells and plastic trigger guard. It has no under rib. According to the guy I bought it from it came with the 209 bp and hammer. The rifle was built by White Muzzleloading System, serial number is SB 5xx, which I think indicates Black Ice from the factory. Anybody ever encountered another 91 like this?

When you remove the bbl is there a square block where the trigger guard stews in or is it round? If round then you have a Super 91. If square it’s probably the M98.

As far as the serial # goes my blued Super 91 begins with SB and it is not black iced, just blued. I too would be surprised if it was sold new with the 209 hammer and breech plug unless they were bought at the same time for an additional charge. With Doc anything is possible though.

Docs not a big 209 fan from what I gathered talking to him, so kinda doubt if he would sell them built with 209 set up

flounder said:
As far as the serial # goes my blued Super 91 begins with SB and it is not black iced, just blued. I too would be surprised if it was sold new with the 209 hammer and breech plug unless they were bought at the same time for an additional charge. With Doc anything is possible though.

flounder said:

Flounder, is your S91 a 91-11 like the one I have? My rifle doesn't look blued. It looks just like the M97 Blacktail Hunter I had which was black iced. I just spoke with the guy at BI and he told me that they had done a lot of production rifles M97 and S 91's for White. I have another S91 .451 I'm sending to Black Ice for coating. I guess someone could have black iced over the bluing. Only Doc knows, and most of the time he won't tell :shock:

dbowling said:
Docs not a big 209 fan from what I gathered talking to him, so kinda doubt if he would sell them built with 209 set up

flounder said:

I think Doc was out of the picture when these rifles were built.

I'm getting the 209 info from the guy I bought it from. He said he bought it new that way, but anybody could have changed it before he bought it.
I would like to have the #11 bp and hammer just to match the rest of my Whites, but I guess I can just use the low power 209 primers.

fishhawk2700 said:
flounder said:

Flounder, is your S91 a 91-11 like the one I have? My rifle doesn't look blued. It looks just like the M97 Blacktail Hunter I had which was black iced. I just spoke with the guy at BI and he told me that they had done a lot of production rifles M97 and S 91's for White. I have another S91 .451 I'm sending to Black Ice for coating. I guess someone could have black iced over the bluing. Only Doc knows, and most of the time he won't tell :shock:

No, mine is a regular Super 91 with the under rib.

Back