Swabbing between shots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rvrrat14

Reaction score
New guy trying to learn. Been reading but couldn’t find anything on this particular subject.

So, if I shoot a deer and I need to reload immediately, do I swab damp/dry patches first or not? Concern is embers in barrel when reloading might set it off. I intend to use White Hots. Thanks.

Yes, must swab with damp patch first. Cannot get bullet to powder without swabbing. Cannot remove dry patch without beginning with damp patch.

Not a free choice

Oh wait, there is another option; bash the ramrod in the barrel against a tree; pounding the bullet down to the powder.

I wouldn’t worry about it with pellets. They’re not that easy to ignite. With real bp I’ve generally spit-patched between shots. Obviously, no need if you were shooting BH209.

I typically swab in between shots. But there have been a couple times I can remember (one was just a few weeks ago) where I had to reload immediately. I had zero concern about embers and just reloaded. Nothing happened, and I got off a quick second shot (embarrassed to say cause I missed on the first shot!) But connected on the second!

New guy trying to learn. Been reading but couldn’t find anything on this particular subject.

So, if I shoot a deer and I need to reload immediately, do I swab damp/dry patches first or not? Concern is embers in barrel when reloading might set it off. I intend to use White Hots. Thanks.
Reload.

Try it at the range. If you have a crud ring (caused by 209 primers and 777 powder) you may not be able to ram a second bullet down without swabbing. Mark your ramrod so you know for sure.

On my rifle with #11 caps, I can put another bullet down. I've also used looser sabots on a second bullet so I could push it down the barrel quickly. I used it once on an elk that dropped, but wasn't dead. Game usually either drops or runs away from me. My buddy often gets second and even third shots. He swabs before reloading.

Licking a patch and swabbing is enough, and it doesn't take long.

With a 340 gr. bullet, and a good shot, deer don't run. Concentrate on making the first shot count.

I don't swab with triple seven and a White rifle it's not needed.
Same with the CVA optima V2 and BH 209, not needed. So it basically depends on the gun you use!
I have never had a problem with left over embers!

With my Traditions Pursuit using two 50g 777 pellets under a Hornady saboted 250g bullet, I can get 2 shots off before I have to swab. I personally have never had a problem with embers in the barrel.

I don't swab with triple seven and a White rifle it's not needed.
Same with the CVA optima V2 and BH 209, not needed. So it basically depends on the gun you use!
I have never had a problem with left over embers!
White Hots and Optima V2

I shoot 777 (2F & 3F) and find it pretty dirty in both a T/C Renegade .54 & CVA Optima .50. That said I can get 3 or 4 reloads down the barrel before cleaning. I usually run a patch after each shot.

Haven’t used BH209 due to availability and price in my area. You guys that can get a 2nd or 3rd shot off on big game are lucky. I find it hard to even run a bolt gun a second time on elk or deer.

I used 777 long before Black Horn and I lived with the crud ring I can again plus I am going to do most of my shooting with Goex etc. I have 3 cans of BH-209 and 5 pounds of 777 when that is gone I'll worry then At my age maybe I won't have to worry anymore

I don't shoot triple seven and I understand that the crud rings clean up when the barrels are cleaned,,, that little area at the bottom of the barrel where the crud ring develops even if it's cleaned correctly and consistently do you feel like it changes the metal of that barrel in that area? Reason I ask is four different rifles that I've purchased had severe pitting in that quote," crud ring area",, rest of the bore is perfect outside of the guns where immaculate,, the guns look like they had been well maintained I guess what I'm asking is does that crud ring issue end up having a permanent effect on most barrels? And if it does ,,does every time I shoot the gun with just a little bit of a crude ring ,am I adding to that potential change in the metal structure in that area seems like I would be,, I guess if it was just kind of a beater hunting rifle it really wouldn't matter but if it was a rifle barrel I highly valued I would be swapping in between shots probably fanatically.. might be a topic for another post or another thread and I apologize for getting off topic it's just questions I think about.

I don't swab between shots in the field. Been muzzload hunting since 1985. I will run a swab after a few shots on the range.
Not easy to get a second shot if you miss, but you may have an opportunity if you knock one down. I had that opportunity with this guy. Broke his back with the first shot and killed him with an immediate second. Never had an ember, but always keep the muzzle directed away from you!

Attachments

• 20191118_103053.jpg
    20191118_103053.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 2
.................. crud rings........ if it's cleaned correctly and consistently do you feel like it changes the metal of that barrel in that area?

................... what I'm asking is does that crud ring issue end up having a permanent effect on most barrels?.........

Its still all about swabbing so no need to start another post ;)

Crud ring/s...... If the barrel is swabbed and cleaned correctly then IMO the answer is no. However, if it isn't cleaned properly and it develops changes (pits) in the barrel it already did.

I've shot an awful lot of T7 and never had a barrel that ended up pitted or bad at the ignition point/spot. However, I never wavered from swabbing between rounds and cleaning thoroughly and completely the same day as the rifle was shot.

Back